Going light on a budget with chinese frame

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

caseycycling

by caseycycling

I have had this bike built up but making alot changes while there is snow on the ground, "trying" to stay on a pretty tight budget, turns out that is fairly hard to do. I am going to post pics as stuff keeps coming in, just the ww stuff. If anyone has any questions, comments, or tips I would be glad to hear them.

Frame w/ isp size 56cm 1159g uncut, 1150g cut

Fork 416g uncut, 381g cut and sanded some to let headset fit

Cheap carbon cages from ebay 49g

C-4 skewers that came with hubs 44g

Just got these Reynolds blue pads in 18g

Stuff all ready on the bike:
Full 2010 Sram Force group
3T Pro stem 110mm w/ titianum bolts 127g
Yokozuna cables
KMC X10SL Gold chain
Merek carbon saddle w/ carbon rails 110g
Reynolds DV46T w/ Tufo Carbon Composite tires, already had tires on when I got them so no weight on wheels
Also have a set of clincher wheels Kinlin rims w/ C-4 hubs that weigh 1400g

I am doing a set of speedplay pedals with titanium spindles and aluminum inserts, which I will post pictures when everything gets in.

caseycycling

by caseycycling

Here is the bike as it is now, still have some changes to come.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdc5r

by jdc5r

that model of frame reminds me so much of the trek madones. Looks nice, well done!

dwn2sk8

by dwn2sk8

Look good from what I can see...I'd love to see larger pics.

caseycycling

by caseycycling

I am going to put some bigger pictures up, I have been waiting for more pieces to come in, but some stuff has been delayed because of all the snow we have been getting. As soon as more stuff comes in i will take some bigger, better quality pictures.

caseycycling

by caseycycling

Here is a bigger picture with new Fizik bar tape, really like the feel of it took me a few tries to get it on there smooth, trying the silver to break up all the black on the bike. Also got in my new speedplay pedals, just waiting for ti spindles and inserts. Going to get a good T20 bit tomorrow to see if I can get the spindle off without stripping the screw.

speedplay pedals stock 222grams

Steve0

by Steve0

How does the frame rides? I am thinking of buying the same frameset.

caseycycling

by caseycycling

I am actually very happy with the frame, I know I have read on here some people have trouble actually getting there frame, I guess I was lucky, mine came 10 days within ordering. It seems well made, its supposed to be T700 carbon but who knows if it really is. I know it is plenty stiff for me and I was around 175-180lbs last year riding, I am more towards 160-165lbs now. Chain stays are pretty beefy and the headtube is tapered, which I guess helps it feel nice and stiff when you stand up and put power down. If anything happened to this frame I would order another one just like it, because I like it that much.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Looks like a Trek Madone... ;)

Cool bike!!! :thumbup:

caseycycling

by caseycycling

I got the speedplay pedals apart easily just waiting for spindles and inserts to come in so I can put them back together.

the stock spindles came in at 117grams

the inserts were 42grams for all four this is just one pair

PBrooks

by PBrooks

I agree that staying on a budget is very hard to do, even with a fm028. I am also building one up and have to fight myself, between the number in my head(weight) and the price/gram savings.

SaXoB

by SaXoB

Looks really a nice build.
Do you have the link to this frameset w/ integretated seatpost?

caseycycling

by caseycycling

SaXoB wrote:Looks really a nice build.
Do you have the link to this frameset w/ integretated seatpost?

I bought mine off ebay from the seller carbonzone, they also have them on alibaba. I just felt a little more comfortable going with ebay. Here is the link to there ebay store http://stores.ebay.com/carbonzone. They usually have this frame for sell, sometimes there are different finishes available, I think 3K, 12K and flat black which is what I went with. Hope this helps.

SaXoB

by SaXoB

Alright thanks a lot!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plasticol

by plasticol

:beerchug: Great frame, looks nice, been thinking in getting exactly the same frame from carbonzone.
Can you be more detail in your ride description, you said is planty stiif, how about climbing, decending and how is the road shock absortion?
Also, this may be a dumb question but, how do you feel about the safety of this product, in therms of carbon strength and durability?
I know most big companies are building in China, but is carbonzone holding to the same construction standars as, less say Specalized, Cannondale, etc.?
Any info greatly appreciated before I order in the next couple of days. Thanks.