New Project - CAAD9 Racer - 6.8Kg Barrier Smashed

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

majklnajt

by majklnajt

That is a Paris-Roubaix botlle holding style...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lcoolb

by lcoolb

Apart from those bottle cages... lovely bike! :thumbup:

devinci

by devinci

ahah LOL @ bottle cages :P

very nice bike KH1, the white saddle/tape makes it nice with the other white details on the bike. I hope you will enjoy it, make sure you post a ride report please, I didnt rode mine yet because of snow :(

Kastrup

by Kastrup

One of the better looking CAAD9's on this forum. Love the blue color :)
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

devinci

by devinci

Kastrup wrote:One of the better looking CAAD9's on this forum. Love the blue color :)

ah! You didnt saw mine :wink: :D

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Actually i did! :twisted:

Good one aswell!
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

KH1

by KH1

The Green Flame wrote:You may need to check your bottle cages. They are mounted upside down.

:lol: Yes that has been fixed........
They turned up yesterday in the post. I was in such a rush to take pics..... so doh!
But hey the 'C' shape kinda works with the Cannondale logo :wink:
devinci wrote:ahah LOL @ bottle cages :P

very nice bike KH1, the white saddle/tape makes it nice with the other white details on the bike. I hope you will enjoy it, make sure you post a ride report please, I didnt rode mine yet because of snow :(

Will do. I haven't had a chance either.... because of the heat :lol:

majklnajt wrote:That is a Paris-Roubaix botlle holding style...

:mrgreen: If you hit the front just before the cobblestones and they shake out and take out the competition in a huge pile up.......

Kastrup wrote:One of the better looking CAAD9's on this forum. Love the blue color :)

Thanks :) People say this a lot - and it's definately true in this case - This bike looks even better in real life.
When I took it to the LBS the bike mechanic there said he doesn't normally get excited by bikes but he said this CAAD was the nicest looking build he'd seen in a long time. A great ego boost for sure but also nice to have other people appreciate your vision :thumbup:
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

zachary

by zachary

CAAD9 turned out great. I would debadge the stem and wheels though :D Good luck this season!

KH1

by KH1

Ride Report - Race Report after tonight (Weather permitting)
I did my own quick setup by trying to match the same dimensions as the FP7. So first impressions were that the ergos were quite good. I went for a narrower bar width, 42 instead of 44. The width in the drops though feels very similar due to the shape of the Ergosum bars. What did surprise me was how small the bike feels - I am guessing this is due to the narrower bars so I'll see if this feeling stays the same over time. The other change I made was in crank length, 175 instead of 172.5. I can't comment on the effect this early but I can say that this crankset, and it could possibly be the BB30 or bearings (Is there something to this q-factor thing?), is the smoothest I have ever experienced. I suspect there is still some work to be done on the setup to get it all right but all in all I'm pretty happy with the ergos.
Riding down my street on the nice smooth ashphalt had me wondering what all this nonsense was about alloy frames and CAAD's in particular being so stiff and harsh on the road. Well it didn't take too long for me to notice some of that harshness. I only went for a 43Km recovery ride yesterday but I can tell you, if you are looking for a good dose of HTFU I suggest you go buy a CAAD9. In terms of the riding experience it really made me appreciate my FP7 :oops: so it seems as though I definately need a double dose of HTFU. :lol: To be fair I also had the new SLR Carbonio saddle on which is possibly one of the thinnest padded saddles around and clearly not designed with comfort as a priority. When the road is smooth the bike feels great but as soon as it gets choppy you really can feel your fillings trying their hardest not to fall out.

Steering feels very lively and whilst it is reasonably quick with minimal input it always feels well controlled. I didn't really do any kind of sprint work or even hard accelerations yesterday but there are quite a few little hills on the ride so I got a pretty good sense of how it climbs and this is another area that really impressed. You sometimes read this thing about all your power being put into the drive train with each pedal stroke I really got that feeling when I first rode the FP7 and it's no different with the CAAD9. If anything, possibly due to the harshness of the ride, it felt like there was even better power transfer when climbing. I suspect it has a lot to do with the BB but also the stiffness of the chain stays, seat stays and seat tube triangle. My old TCR Advanced (2009 model) always felt stiff out of the saddle but a bit less so when sprinting or climbing seated - the compact frame and extremely long seatpost length probably didn't help it there.

So all in all my thoughts are fairly mixed. On one hand this bike feels like it could turn me into a pile of jelly in a very short period of time. On the other this is one of the stiffest frames I have ridden so it could turn me into a real man/cyclist...... :mrgreen: I am looking forward to how it handles the final sprints in my club crit races.
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

SaXoB

by SaXoB

another great CAAD9 build ;)

KH1

by KH1

Race ride report - how can you make any satisfactory report when all you can think about is hanging on for long enough to have a go at the end.......
Only managed a 10th out of 60+ riders so the bike must be to blame :lol:
One thing I remember is I had a sore butt - mental note - buy thicker chamois to cope with thin saddle.
I have had a few beers now so maybe tomorrow I will think of something sensible to write.

Edit; Oh and I didn't crash! Must be the bike is that good :mrgreen:
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

bomber

by bomber

Nice bike KH1 and great weight too... I initially found the ride of my CAAD9 pretty harsh but have since changed wheels from an old pair of Aksium's and the ride has improved no end. I also favour the Vittoria Pave's for a comfortable ride.
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

KH1

by KH1

I was riding my PT wheelset - DT Swiss RR465 28 Spoke front and rear.
Last night I used my Eastons. It might have been better but hard to tell when the last thing you are thinking about is how comfortable the ride is.
I have a set of Quarq cranks coming so I'll be training on different wheelsets and that should give me a better idea about how it might ride or how feeble my body is :wink:
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'm with bomber, however I never found my harsh.

And that was their stock Tiagra model.

Nice bike though mate :thumbup:

KH1

by KH1

Thanks TP - It is certainly attracting it's share of attention at the track. Must be the colour :)

Here is a shot with the new Quarq crankset - which has up and died after 1 ride :( - It's at the first carpark on the way down from Arthurs Seat.
Tried running the Fulcrum Racing 1's today - ouch! Very stiff wheelset makes for a bone shaking ride on this frame. I'm not sure if it's the wheels or the racing but the Eastons seem to be streets ahead in the comfort stakes.

The folks at Quarq are on the ball though and are waiting for it to come back so they can repair or replace it. Just a bummer I sold my Powertap so quickly...... no training with power for at least 2 weeks :(
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com