CAAD9 bbq black bb30 - 7123g - update feb 16

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cure

by cure

great looking bike there! your switching the headset? where did you get the old headset (cannondale si) it looks much shorter than mine...the one i have is probably 1" high, where can i find a headset that will allow stem to be closer to the head tube?
i love udon.

devinci

by devinci

Hello

I only switched the headset cap to a 7mm cane creek one I already had. The cannondale one is huge and weights lots more. Not sure where you can buy a headset cap alone...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

Litte update: installed extralite ultrastar 2 expander and tune carbon top cap, saved 36g total. Thanks to Madcow for lightning fast shipping and availability. Indeed, I paid the stuff on thursday and everything came at my door..... the day after, from Tucson Arizona to Québec Canada eh.

Bike now weights 6865g

cure

by cure

devinci wrote:Hello

I only switched the headset cap to a 7mm cane creek one I already had. The cannondale one is huge and weights lots more. Not sure where you can buy a headset cap alone...

any idea how much that huge cap weighs in? im looking at the FSA Impact...with 0 stack height...
does zero stack mean nothing comes up from the frame? im a little confused...http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-215- ... adset.aspx its actually used for BMX bikes...is that safe for roadies?

it says its a 45x45 and 42mm OD so i guess this would work right? the weight may be more than what i have though...? i cant seem to find any reviews on this but the cost is so affordable...any suggestions?
i love udon.

devinci

by devinci

I have no idea on the FSA impact.

I just weighted he huge cane creek that came with my frame: 23g :shock:

why not go with a regular 5 mm cap?

devinci

by devinci

UPDATE: added pedals weight to the total weight: 7123g complete. Next upgrade will be a set of light brakes (dont know wich ones though) and maybe a lighter fork but I heard the cannondale fork rides impressively well.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

devinci

by devinci

Hey Saeco!

I already have those brakes without Ti hardware. At 240g a pair, they are "heavy". I'd look more toward sub 190g brakes but I keep hearing bad thing about ZeroG and KCNC (doesnt stay centered, poor braking, not wide enough...)

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

The KCNC's flex. I had some for a period of time and they're very light for a good price but you can see the brake flex a lot under braking. I know a well designed brake has flex built into it but this isn't a good kind of flex.

The ZeroG's are fine they just don't have good modulation. They're like of like a light switch, on or off.

devinci

by devinci

2002SaecoReplica wrote:The KCNC's flex. I had some for a period of time and they're very light for a good price but you can see the brake flex a lot under braking. I know a well designed brake has flex built into it but this isn't a good kind of flex.

The ZeroG's are fine they just don't have good modulation. They're like of like a light switch, on or off.

Do you reckon the ZG centering issue is a real PITA or does it only require occasionnal center that can be done with bare hands?

I find the ZG much nicer then the KCNCs

LouisN

by LouisN

Didn't think about Far and Near brakes ?

FWB brakes shootout test has good comments about them...

I think they're around 219 g IIR ?...

Note: The only "real life" comments I have about light brakes are from two club members. They had Zero G's and found them not so efficient (wobbly, bad modulation,etc). They bought KCNC CB1's and, to my surprise, like them a lot (but they weight around 150 lbs)...

If that can help...

Louis :)

devinci

by devinci

I thougth about far and near but I'd like to go lighter (light like KCNC C7). The C7 might suit me...? I am 155 lbs and madcow claims they have more power then the cb1

sjubbis

by sjubbis

Great build and great story!
I'm installing my new KCNC C7 brakes on my cannondale this week, can give you an update on efficieny. I'm about 190 pounds, so if they work for me, they'll do the trick for most I guess :)

devinci

by devinci

please keep me informed on how they perform on short en long term. thanks

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

devinci wrote:
2002SaecoReplica wrote:The KCNC's flex. I had some for a period of time and they're very light for a good price but you can see the brake flex a lot under braking. I know a well designed brake has flex built into it but this isn't a good kind of flex.

Do you reckon the ZG centering issue is a real PITA or does it only require occasionnal center that can be done with bare hands?

I find the ZG much nicer then the KCNCs

The key to centering Zero's is all about the length of the cable housing. Too long and it will push the brake off center, too short and it pulls the brake off center. Just right and they'll stay perfectly centered.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com