Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Wed May 25, 2016 4:00 pm
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED

If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:18 pm 

I started riding toward the end of 2014 and have been on a 2014 Allez Sport (54 frame). Came with 9-speed Sora and a couple of anchors for wheels. Over time I swapped some parts and ended up with Ardennes SL+ wheels, Thomson Elite setback post, 13cm Ritchey stem, Fizik Arione and Ultegra 6800 brakes / 105 5800 (52/36, 11-28, 170mm).

As I started to get more and more into riding, I told myself that I'd upgrade the bike at 10,000 miles. I jumped the gun by a couple hundred miles, but just picked up a new project:

The frame is all packaged up for now. I got a size small (53 frame). Hoping to get it built up by middle of next week. For now I'm planning to carry the Ardennes and 105 over to this frame...I'll start with that and go from there. First things I'll swap out will probably the stem, bars and saddle (I hate the Arione).

It won't be the lightest bike, it won't be the stiffest bike and it certainly won't be the most bling bike, but I'm pretty damn excited about it. For those interested, I'll try to post weights along the way. Also, a friend of mine at work has a pretty nice camera so I'm looking forward to getting some nice shots once it's all built.

The frameset is a brand new 2013 model. BB30, came with Ritte's own 31.6mm carbon post, should have plenty of clearance for 25/26 tires blown up over the 25mm Ardennes.

Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to some build advice along the way :beerchug:

Old: 2014 Allez Sport

Last edited by lrdunc on Tue May 10, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ritte Bosberg 3.0
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:58 pm 

I have a couple of friends that have Ritte's. In my personal opinion a shimano build looks the best on their frames. Some 303's or enve 4.5 would look really nice on this frame. Deda cockpit would also look nice.

What's your goal with this build?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:22 am 

I agree that either of those wheelsets would look great, but both are out of budget for now. The Ardennes have been good to me and have stood up to quite a bit of abuse.

I'll look into Deda components. I had been looking at Zipp Service Course SL 70 or 3T Ergonova Pro bars with a matching stem for either. I'd like blacked out stem / bars. Once it gets built up I'll see how I feel about the white seatpost that the frameset came with...I have a feeling I might be switching that to something blacked out as well. I'll stick with a black saddle. All of that should balance out the lighter frame colors and will go with the black 105 crankset. Will probably go with white Lizard Skins tape to start.

I like the look of the Arundel Mandible cages so I'll probably pick up a pair of those.

As far as a goal for this, to be honest I'm not really sure. I'm hoping that 16lbs / ~ 7.3kg is possible, but I guess we'll find out...

Edit: I know the fork is supposed to be 350g and I read somewhere that a medium frame is 960g. I'll be sure to weigh the fork and my size small frame.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:57 am 

If you are open to the idea of Chinese wheels zxszzx, Fartsport Wheels makes some really good inexpensive carbon wheels. I have been riding a pair of wheels that weigh under 834g and they have stood up really well.

If you want to go blacked out, go with Zipp; their black on black Service Course SL stem, bars, and seat post looks really nice.
Deda makes some nice blacked out components but they are expensive. I feel that the color way of your bike wouldnt look that well matched up with components that have visible logging. I agree with you that the black on black would balance out the frame colors.

If you want something cool and different check out the Tune Rechts-und Linksträger bottle cages. they are around the same price and also have the same look.

this should be a good build, can't wait for more pics

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:37 am 

lrdunc wrote:
I agree that either of those wheelsets would look great, but both are out of budget for now.

I always think of budget, its important to me to be able to sell whatever I buy for the same of more that I have in it, its part of the fun for me.

For example my bike is a Craig's List / EBay special

- 2013 BMC TMR01 Ulterga D12 Dealer Demo - Craig's List - $2000
- Zipp 404 Firecrest tubular wheels with new Tires - Craig's List - $500
- Current and past Ebay buys - All light, cheep, ez to black out and good quality - Uno stems, Hylix parts, used parts and so on.

These things I'm sure you know, but they may not be the way you want to go ?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:51 pm 

@adrianlmp

Thanks for the ideas. I'll check out those cages. My main goal is to get things like cages, skewers, etc to be as clean / sleek looking as possible. My current Blackburn cages and Salsa skewers just look so chunky. Hence my interest in the Mandible cages. Any ideas on Zipp-style skewers but with no logos?

I'm also open to the idea of Chinese wheels like you mentioned...I've read enough to be confident in the durability, etc. I know that would drop a ton of weight.

On the other hand, I know that the 105 group is heavy. Rather than getting wheels now, what if I waited / saved up and tried to find a deal on an electronic group? The frame is di2 compatible.

@KarlC

That seems like an awesome deal on your 404s. I'll start scanning Craigslist again...I haven't really looked in a while. In general, yeah I'm going to be building this with used parts.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:54 pm 

Here are a couple more pictures for now. I need to buy a tabletop scale so I can start weighing parts.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:33 pm 

The tune cages have a thinner look to them compared to the Arundel and they are pretty lightweight. I have never used any of the zipp skewers but you can pick them up for cheap on ebay. I really like the look of Kcnc Ti groove skewers, $90 though. I have a pair and they are amazing. Very lightweight and they work well. You can't feel any flex in the rear wheel. Other lightweight skewers, like my Tune ' s and coast cutters, flex when you climb out of the saddle.

If you end up getting Chinese wheels go with Farsport. They have really good hub options.

Check out Merlin Cycles. They sell groupsets really cheaply and they are all new. $1,135.18 for ultegra Di2 and $1,165.25 for Dura Ace mechanical. They have saved me a lot of money with all my past builds.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:15 pm 

^ I like those KCNC skewers. Looks like they can be had for around $70 from a couple of websites. That might be the way to go. And yeah I actually got my current 105 5800 from Merlin...got it shipped from Merlin then installed by my LBS for under $500!

Ultegra di2 is super appealing at that price point. I'll have to consider that for sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:48 pm 

Hoping to have the build start sometime tomorrow morning. Here is an incomplete list along with weights. All of these weights are estimated using what I could find online, so please correct me as necessary. I'm just using this as a general outline to try to plan things out.

The saddle looks to be an easy place I can drop some weight (I'm not a fan of the Arione anyway). S Works Power saddle in 155mm for example is quoted as 161g. Once this gets put together I'm going to demo a few different saddles before settling on something new.

Frame, fork, headset, seatpost, seatpost clamp etc will get weighed by the bike shop once the build starts.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:53 pm 

That's a really nice looking frame. Depending on your budget constraints, I think Ultegra Di2 would be a great buy.
Whatever route you take, I'm looking forward to seeing it built up

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:14 am 

Will you be using the stock seatpost?
I also have to ask... are you slamming the stem? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:08 pm 

This is gonna be rad!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:33 pm 

@burglarboycie

I won't be putting Ultegra di2 on it initially, but I think saving up for electronic will be the next "big" upgrade. I would love to put that money toward new wheels, but to be honest, I'm a little nervous. The roads in Los Angeles are beyond atrocious 90% of the time. These Ardennes have been good to me. I picked them up from Craigslist from a guy who had put around 500 miles on them...only paid $750 cash. They're light enough at around 1500g (I think the claimed weight of 1485g is low) and have stood up to a ton of abuse.

@adrianlmp

I'm going to have it built up with the white carbon 31.6 post that the frameset came with. I think it will look pretty cool, but I will be totally open to swapping it if it doesn't look right. I'm going to use my current Ritchey stem to start (I blacked it out with acetone)...so it will be black bars, black stem, black saddle, white post, white Lizard Skins tape. If it ends up looking weird I'll just swap it for a black post. And yes I plan on getting it pretty slammed. The geo of this frame is obviously different than my Allez, so I'll have to give it a bit of time to figure out my positioning, etc. When I'm done I'm hoping it makes my Allez look like a beach cruiser :D

@nd2rc

Thanks! I'm hoping it comes out well...I'm really excited about it. This will be my first carbon bike, so that alone is pretty cool for me. I'm also looking forward to having something a bit different out on the road. On my Tuesday morning club ride last week, there were (no joke) 3 F8s...all on electronic, Enve / Bora, etc. It's a moot point anyway given that all of that is completely out of my price range, but I think it will be cool to be (one of) the only guys on a Ritte.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:45 pm 

Just dropped everything off to get the build started.

Fork with uncut steerer tube = 381g

Frame = 950g

My previous guess of 900g for the frame weight was just that - a complete guess. And once the steerer tube gets chopped, the fork should be right around 350g as advertised, right?

Rather than the Zipp Service Course SL Ergo bars, I'm going to start with 3T Ergonova in size 42 (40 at the hoods, compared to the 42 at the hoods I've been on up until now [the stock bars that came with the Allez]).

Last edited by lrdunc on Tue May 10, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.