HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 109  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:04 pm 

If JURE keeps on going like this he will need his own section on here and not just a thread.

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98 lbs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:25 pm 
Carbon Cowboy

Hehe :)

MrIzoard wrote:
It is always very exciting when the automatic generated mail tells you that something happens in this thread.

Keep up your excellent work and more pics and storys are always nice.

//Ulf L.

Glad to hear that! I'll for sure keep you posted, quite a lot of things are going here right now!

Otherwise next week I'll be for a few days abroad, will travel again on a race as the car driver/mechanic - there will be a TTT in Czech Republic in the first stage..I rode that stage race last year, but this year I'll be there as the driver/mechanic, and will travel back home after the TTT :mrgreen: (someone has to drive those bikes back home) so I most probably won't be able to respond from Wednesday till Friday..otherwise I spend quite a lot of my free time in my workshop, and I belive that this year I'll have more news for you than in the past years. I managed to get some more equipment that I wanted and it will be one of the first summers after 10 years when I'll have some more free days :mrgreen: ..well I'll for sure also travel a bit with my girlfriend, really missed those days when I raced, when I didn't had any time for some real vacations :mrgreen:. Anyway, more news to come in the future, I'll try to send also some more photos from the "backstage" from my small workshop in Slovenia..;)

info(a)berk-composites.com

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:25 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:48 pm 
Carbon Cowboy

I have one question for you guys before I start with my frame project.. :)

The new frame will be a bit more "on diet", not that drastic, but anyway.. The diameter of the downtube will be 3mm smaller, also the seatstays will be a bit thinner (2mm thiner compared to PT4), and I think that it would be better if I make the frame for 27.2mm seatpost.

It would make sense, would look better IMO.. This time also all the tubes will be a bit tappered - also the seatpost tube will get a bit wider when it comes closer to the bottom bracket, and I won't use a derailleur with a clamp, but a braze-on front derailleur. The hanger will be made with carbon fiber..

Anyway, here is the question, 27.2 or 31.6 seatpost? Peronally I think it would make sense to use 27.2mm, but would be glad to hear some opinions :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:05 pm 

Definitely 27.2 imo. Suits a skinny, straight tubed, lightweight bike so much better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:08 pm 

Jure,

Since you have your fit pretty much dialed in why not do an ISP and bond a saddle to the top. This should be easy for you and should save a fair bit of weight because you have no mounting hardware for seat post or seat post clamp. Then maybe get a pair of EE brakes or the new Omega and run the rear brake cable directly out the back of the TT/Seat tube junction and just have a very short cable run. More weight saving there as well.

What about having the cable enter behind the stem as well. Reduced cable run there as well and again very clean looking.

This would make it look amazingly clean as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:20 pm 

Jure-

this thread is always a good read :D
keep up the good work :thumbup:

I reckon 27.2mm dia seatpin- the concensus seems to be that the ride quality can be a littel more tuneable with the narrower post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:26 pm 
Carbon Cowboy

Thanks!

I'll go for 27.2mm :thumbup: I think it will look much cleaner.

@BmanX
Yes I could make it like PROTO-TYPE 3, but somehow prefer a frame with seatpost. Don't get me wrong, how I made PT3 was great, but only for one person, for a specific pair of shoes and pedals etc.,..and you can't give your bike for a test ride if it's integrated like that, and I prefer that I can change the position and give it for a test ride to my friends etc.,...the other thing that I saw by my PT3 frame with completely integrated saddle was that when I changed my shoes (years ago we rode Sidi, then Northwave, then DMT, and now I have Sidi,..) those shoes are all a bit different, and it's nice if you can change the position a bit, also if it's only -/+ 3mm. And then if you change lets say from Look to Speedplay you'll again have a few mm of difference..but in general the idea is for sure great and also saves around 40g (compared to the seatpost in the frame + seatpost clamp).

Also for the internal routing I'm not quite sure if I'll make it internal or external, will see. EE brakes would be great, but will see how I'll build this bike (depends of course also from $$). I won't really rush with it, but will most probably just swap the parts from my PT4 bike for this year. I'll for sure change a few parts, and it won't be really WW friendly :mrgreen:. Somehow I miss ALU handlebars and will most probably go back to ALU. Right now I have Ritchey Superlogic UD, very light handlebar (188g if I'm right) it's great but it's not as stiff as ALU...so I'll most probably go back to ALU and add around 50g, can't help myself, I just prefer it like that because I'm used to it (raced with ALU for 10 years).
But don't worry, I'll for sure build a good and light bike :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:38 pm 

What about a 3/4 ISP where you can clamp the top section of the ISP but allow for a saddle with a stubby post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:37 pm 
Carbon Cowboy

In that case the weight would be anyway quite similar like a frame with an ordinary seatpost. And I don't really like the stubby look ;)
There are plenty of options, and that makes framebuilding so intereting for me :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:27 pm 

I'm for a Ø27.2mm regular seatpost as well. :thumbup:

Stubbies aren't the most practical when traveling either, and I speak from experience with my Scott Addict R1. I do like Trek's idea though, for a seatpost that slides over a slight extension of the seat tube. Keeps the inside of the frame clean. Still, a saddle with full seatpost combo will always be lighter, even if a stubby is integrated with a saddle, because a an integrated seatpost always need to have a thicker wall to take the compression forces a stubby generates.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:06 pm 
Carbon Cowboy

I prefer the look of a frame with standard seatpost. Otherwise I have also very good experiances with stubby frames, but then again, it was a sponsor bike, and when I get a new one, I didn't really care how long is the seatpost and who will ride that frame then.. :mrgreen:

I already constructed it with 31.8 diameter, and that it will be possible to use also a derailleur with a clamp. Somehow I prefer that system - it's something that's "bulletproof", and I want to have a realible frame..not with cracked or flexible derailleur hangers if you know what I mean..but anyway, I'll make some more experiments and will make my own carbon reailleur hanger. But just in case it will have the right diameter that I'll be able to use also a standard derailleur with a clamp :thumbup:

Already started with the project and probably I'll have some news in a week or so, I'll let you know. Still have to make some more experiments with a new procedure where the magnets are used..I'll keep you updated :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:18 am 

31,6 will be a little bit stiffer,but 27,2 will be lighter. IMO wider seatpost looks better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:24 am 

bikemaniack wrote:
31,6 will be a little bit stiffer,but 27,2 will be lighter. IMO wider seatpost looks better.

27.2 will also be more comfortable.

Check it out: the most amazing vintage Colnago, Merckx and Pinarello collection

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:00 pm 

Should we be watching Wiggins' bike for a Jure combo seatpost?

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:00 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:16 pm 

I would say yes as they hit the slopes it would be a good bet. I cannot believe that JURE has built a special saddle for the LEADER OF GC in the Tour de France. This is a huge moment!

I cannot believe that I had one of his special posts before the Tour leader did. YES!

Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 109  Next