HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 114  Next
 Post subject: Re: Berk PROTO-TYPE 3
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:24 pm 

Nice pics Berk. It's such a classic looking bike with no BS on it. That's part of the reason I like custom bikes so much. No marketing people pushing you to make the next "best" thing like the squiggly pinarello fork.

CRUMPTON 4.40kg, 9.70lbs

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:24 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:55 pm 

I 'd echo the above sentiments.

Sometimes simplicity is most beautiful. The bike looks purposeful and isn't that what we all want from a bike?

Congrats on bringing such a fine project to a conclusion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:15 pm 
Carbon Cowboy

Thanks to both :beerchug: I agree with that ;)

Here just some crappy photos during the ride, just to show you that I ride with it:

Anyway, thanks for watching! I'll for sure continue with the carbon work :beerchug:

info(a)berk-composites.com

Last edited by Berk on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:06 am 

thumbs up on this build!!! when will you start on a TT bike? .. a lot of us will follow the build.. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:46 am 
Carbon Cowboy

Thanks!
Unfortunately I don't know yet, it depends on my free time, financial status etc.,...first I'll have to make some experiments with the monocoque procedure, and it's not that easy to make some aero shapes out of carbon. I'll sure work on a new project, but can't promise yet what will it be because I have to make some experiments first. I would love to make a TT frame, but will see,...I'll give my best

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:58 am 
Carbon Cowboy

Hi!

Just some news - usually I don't spend a lot of time at my computer and probably I'll be able to post a bit more on Facebook with some more photos...now I can keep you updated also on Facebook, you can find me as "Berk Composites"

Of course I'll keep you updated also here, but just to let you know that now I'm also on FB..

I made almost 800km with my PROTO-TYPE 3 frame and I already found a few interesting details that I could improve. I see that I have a bit overdo with the reinforcements in the head-tube area and most probably also the downtube - so still quite a lot of "reserve" for an even lighter frame. I could rather reinforce the BB area a bit more to have an even stiffer frame etc.,...slowly, with some more projects, I'll reach perfection :mrgreen:. That's the part that I like the most - you teach on those projects and gradually improve all the details till perfection, and that's also my aim.

Today I'll make some 3-4h easy ride with it and after that I'll soon write a bit more specific ride report.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:58 pm 
Carbon Cowboy

One more photo from the PT3 frame:

I'm very happy with the frame 8). The handling and the geometry is great and nothing to improve there, but I already know that I have a bit owerdo on the downtube and that it would be better to add some more material in the BB area instead on the downtube. Otherwise it is stiff, but still not super stiff, like I would like to have it. Like I already mentioned the stiffness of the BB area is quite similar to the Cr1 models from Scott. And one more comparison - if you "press" the dropouts together (with one hand) it is much stiffer than Bianchi Oltre that I had in my hands today...don't know how the Oltre rides, but it seems to me that the chainstays/seatstays aren't that stiff. Otherwise the ride is quite hard and I think that I could still save some weight on the "rear triangle", or it's only the integrated saddle that makes me think so :lol:. It is a bit harder than any other saddle, similar like if you would compare tubular wheelset with clincher. There is some difference, but of course you can ride with it without any problem also for 4h+ rides, at least I didn't had any problems with it, but as I mentioned, of course it is a bit harder for the price of lower weight.

My next project will be a monocoque frame and I'll make the mould completely by myself. You can follow it also on Facebook - "Berk Composites". I still have to design the frame and I'll probably start with it at the end of the season, hopefully I'll have some more free time then. About the shape of the frame - I still prefer a clean design without any "super-curved" tubes. I'm still working step by step, and it will be my biggest project till now and I'll most probably make another road frame that will be a bit more aero, but not with the look like some of the TT frames... If I'm honest I don't want to start with a TT frame yet, altough I would love to, but will first make another road frame and after that I'll see if I'll be able to make even more complicated shapes. If the monocoque project will be successful then I'll dare to make anything! I'm sorry for all those who would love to see a TT frame from me - I would also love to make it, but I have to think good before I invest money in new projects and I want to be 110% sure that it's possible before I start with it. And a monocoque road frame is the perfect challenge for me.,..something that won't look "stupid" also with low profile wheels ;)

Anyway, I really enjoy in this work and hopefully I'm not boring if I'll start with another road frame, but this will be the ultimate product from me - monocoque, lightweight, stiff, with internal routing,...what else would I demand from a frame? Of course I'll keep you updated, I already started with the designing of the frame. Most probably I'll design it also for some internal Di2 routing.

Last edited by Berk on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:52 pm 
Carbon Cowboy

Hi!

Again me with some more news about my work. First of all, maybe it would be better that I make a new topic (in which section? Introduce yourself, road,..?), where I could post all my other projects...this topic should be only about the PROTO-TYPE 3 frame.. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'm of course still active and I'm already working on some new projects, that may be interesting for you.

A few days ago I made a new seatpost. Here only one photo from the finished tube for the seatpost:
31.6mm x 385mm, UD look etc.,... the weight of the tube is 83g, and with some light parts for the mechanism the weight should be really good.

Here just one experiment with some "ghost" graphics under the semi-gloss finish:

At this moment I'm working on a really interesting project. I'm still making some integrated saddle/seatpost combos, and I have decided to make one step forward regarding the integration. Today I just finished with the work on a new mould - this time for a MTB bar!
I'll make an integrated bar/stem combo for MTB, and if it will turn out well for MTB, then there is no reason why I shouldn't make my own road stem/bar combo, made completely by myself ;)

Here just one more photo from another seatpos/saddle combo, this time in UD and with some carbon/kevlar hybrid reinforcements:
27.2mm x 320mm, UD, 117g

With some "ghost" graphics 8)

And the most interesting part for me, I already started with the design for my new project - a monocoque frame! First I'll make a model that will help me for the further work on the moulds...as soon as I'll make the mould I'll of course make a new frame

Here just a random photo from some experimental work:

But thill then I'll be testing PROTO-TYPE 3, already more than 1500km made with it (unfortunately I ride with it only twice per week, and I'm really very happy with the results!).

I already have a lot of carbon (also some new one for different beauty layers - UD, 3K, 12K,..) and soon I'll get also some nano-resin, for my ultimate frame project! Just can't wait, it really couldn't be any better than it is and I really have to thank a lot some people here in Slovenia, who are in the carbon business and are prepared to support my projects!

I'll keep you updated as soon as I'll make some more progress, thanks for your attention :beerchug:
J. Berk

Post subject: Berk PROTO-TYPE 3
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:43 pm 
in the industry

Hi Jure,

Great to see your progress.
We remain fans!!

/a

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:44 am 

would love to see some handlebars or even some fully integrated aerobars (stem/basebar/extension/armrest) with a very aero profile and armrests right on the basebar. No rise.

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98 lbs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:24 am 

If you are considering a more aero inspired frame, maybe something like Trek's Kamm tail/ Scott foil. If I were you(and thats a big if cause you are doing amazing stuff). Supposedly it's an easier shape to make and retain stiffness and enhance aerodynamics.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:42 am 

Maaaan,
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: the ghost graphics :thumbup: :thumbup: :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:54 am 

Jure, I think you should remowe the logos from shifters and stem! :thumbup:

COLNAGO C50 nl12

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:16 pm 
Carbon Cowboy

Hi! I'm really glad that you like it!

@BmanX, NGMN
Yes, it would sure be nice (aero bars and frame), so still a lot of challenges for me. Will see, as soon as I'll make a mould for a TT frame I'll sure make also my own bars, but first I'll make another road frame just to see how it will turn out. I just have to make the mould and then the carbon work will be done in only one day.
The shapes of the tubess from road frame aren't that complicated as on some aero frames and I'll rather go step by step,...the biggest problem for me are the "ballons" that I make, for some round tubes they are perfect, but I'll first have to do some more experimenting before making a perfect aero tube. I don't want to have any air voids and it isn't that easy as it seems :mrgreen:.

After the end of this (hard and painful :mrgreen: ) season I'll start with the work on the moulds for the road frame, and maybe during the winter I'll start also with the TT frame, will see. I already have some basic designs and I know how I want to make it, I only need some more time for the work.

A few minutes ago I just finished with the carbon work for the MTB carbon bar, will see how it will turn out! I'm a bit sceptic, but will see, just can't wait... Tomorrow, after I come home from my training, I'll let you know!

@majklnajt
Maybe I'll really make it during the winter, will see.. I also wanted to re-lacquer the rear derailleur and the shifters with the same semi-gloss finish as the crank. And of course remove the red colour..

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:16 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:18 am 

Yes, I would definitely do that!
The brakes are a nice contrast to all the black color. As are also casette and chain.

COLNAGO C50 nl12

Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 114  Next