Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

locktopus

by locktopus

Is that the new one complete (PT6)? It's freaking gorgeous.

What fork do you use? (EDIT: Just flipped back a few pages, I see it's an ENVE)

I must say that the joinery is wonderful to see. It's so clean an planned out. You don't see a mass of cross wrapped fiber or paint at the tube junctions.

Well done.

synthesis

by synthesis

Just been (somewhat) through the thread, and I most say... it´s mind boggling how talented you are as a designer and fabricator. I´m a mechanic at a team that next year will be riding the Giant Propel Advanced. We need number holders, and I noticed that you make the traditional ones that mount behind the rear brake, but on the Giant there is a not a traditional brake it´s more of a V-brake aero type thing. Is it possible for you to make something like the BBB BSP-96 Aerofix?

It would be cool, to maybe even race against you in the same race, with your number holder. :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Would love a saddle and seat post combo! Please do share when you plan do start selling them :)
Instagram @seanblurr

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@steff
No problem!

@locktopus
Thanks! Yes it's the PT6, and I already made a bit more than 700km with it, more than I thought I would be based on the weather here (cold, around 0°C)...but my great friend and former team-mate Luka Pibernik (now the Slovenian elite national champion, and in August he'll go to Lampre, only 20 years old..) calls me quite often and I go with him on a few trainings, like yesterday for example...so I'm still quite a lot on my bike:)
Otherwise yes, the fork is Enve, and a few days ago I just couldn't resist and bought a 3T Rigida fork, brand new for a bit less than 90eur and it's "Focus" branded, but no problem for me because I'll sand and repaint it anyway...so maybe I'll make fixie with one of my former frames or even with PT6 if I'll have the time to make PT7 till summer, we'll see.

@synthesis
Basicly it would be done, I think that someone already asked me something similar a while ago, would only need an original number holder to see the measurments. Then I might be able to make it.

@seanblurr
with 1.1.2014 I'm officially moving to a larger facility and will start with my work a bit more serious. But will write more about it a bit later, I'm working on it.
I constructed a new lightweight seatpost design with an unique clamping system, it's so light and simple that I can't belive nobody made it like that before (only 8g of hardware + 2 bolts). So I may patent it and unfortunately can't show any photos yet. But I'm working on it and will offer it as soon as possible, I'll keep you updated. The seatpost should be very light and of course reliable.

vdrey

by vdrey

You make some amazing stuff. If only I could afford it...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks!

Just a small update, soon I'll have also a website, it's under construction but you can already contact me on: info(a)berk-composites.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Another small update - as you probably know I'm working on a carbon saddle with carbon saddle rails already for quite a few months.
I finally get some more resoults, waited for them for months - I made different saddle rails and tested which performed the best. The best performance was with the solid full carbon rails, so I'll make them like that.

Although the construction with the alu small tube worked perfect (I rode with it for quite a few months without any problems), but unfortunately I won't use it for the final product because based on the tests the solid carbon rails should be even a bit better, so it's not a hard decision how to make them. But here just one photo of those saddle rails, if you ever wondered how it looks like if you cut it:

I should be finally able to start with the production after new year, I'm also finally moving to larger places,...I'll keep you updated, thanks for your attention!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

New mould for a new lightweight product:

It's a seatpost mould. It will have an unique lightweight clamping mechanism that has to be tested, so first prototypes are in production, but unfortunately no photos yet because I'll most probably patent it, I'm working on it... It looks very promising and the weight will be very low, didn't found any seatpost that light, I'll keep you updated!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi to all!
After almost one month of silence I finally found some free time to post some updates again, really sorry for my silence for almost one month, a lot of things are happening to me these days. First of all I have to study, but I'm of course also working with carbon, and also made some big decisions for the future. Some really big decisions,..but I'm one of those persons who just needs to keep on going, or as we say in Slovenia "jump in the water and learn to swim" :mrgreen:

First of all my carbon saddle project will finally hit production in mid-February. Most of the tests are done, and as usually there are some more delays and unfortunately I can't really do anything regarding that, but will give my best to make some more progress as soon as possible. A lot of paper work and it has to be done. Anyway, will soon post some more photos of the newest model. Right now I have the 132mm wide saddle, and a new mould is in production for the wider saddle (150mm!). I decided if I'll make a wider saddle, then it will be wide, and not only a few milimeters on each side..so this one will be +9mm on each side compared to the 132mm saddle. The price for the saddle will be 285eur, also the webpage (http://www.berk-composites.com) where it will be possible to order it is under construction, I'll let you know as soon as it will be ready, if anyone will be interested.
Otherwise the weight of the saddle will be cca. 65g, with more possibilities (matte or gloss, with leather cover etc.,..) will write more about it as soon as it will be ready.

Some new products are in development and hopefully this year I'll be able to start with projects I only dreamed about a few years ago, so I'll keep you updated also in the future. I think that it's worth to somehow risk and start with it, by my age I have nothing to lose (I'm 21). This year I should also finish my study and become an mechanical engineer, but still a lot of work to do...also my girlfriend is still supporting me although I sometimes don't know where is my head :mrgreen: but I'm just used to always work on someting, and I'm glad that I somehow manage it.
But I still take some time and I'm still on my bike almost every day, also in bad and cold weather, thanks to Luka Pibernik (a great friend of mine who signed for Lampre, will go there in August this year) who calls me almost every day and I just "have to go" on my bike :mrgreen:

One more photo of one of my prototype saddles with leather cover, testing it in all weather conditions:

And some more steps forward. My workshop became too small, and we moved to larger places that we rent:
As soon as all the paper work is done we start working there, as mentioned in mid-February...so I really can't wait to start there, fingers crossed there won't be any more complications. Don't know how it is in other countires, but it's quite a nightmare because all the paper work that has to be done here in Slovenia, but that's just the way it is.
Otherwise it's very emotional for me because I never imagined that my work will get so many positive comments, so really thanks to all here on weightweenies, where that story somehow started. As I see I wrote in my first post that I want to be a pro cyclist or have my own company, and till today I'm still working on it. I also have a twin brother and I'm teaching him how to work with composites, and I have to admit he's very talented. So if I'll need some more help it will for sure be another Berk hehe...but a lot of work to do till then and I hope that everything goes well.

Otherwise one more update, Peter Dokl is going to Sochi, to the winter Olympic games! I already wrote about the biathlon rifle project, and now finally some photos.

Manufacurer, user and designer (GorjupDesign) :)

And some more photos:

That's it for now, thanks for your attention and sorry for that long post! Hope you had the time to read it :beerchug:
Last edited by Berk on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

That's awesome!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

That's a beautiful rifle! I'm looking forward to watching that thing in action in a few weeks (it's headed to the Olympics, right?)

Congratulations on your success, Berk!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks!!
Yes it's going to Sochi, hopefully he'll be allowed to use it (I don't know if there are any similar rules like in cycling/UCI). Actually he uses it already for some time, but today we meet again to make a few photos. He needs to add almost 500g to the rifle to reach the minimal allowed weight (3,5kg).

zulu695

by zulu695

Wow great news! Congratulations on your new leap of faith. I am looking forward for your saddle!

Have fun!

dogma85

by dogma85

Great work! Keep up with progress! All the best!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks to all!!