Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks to all! :beerchug:

Just a small update regarding PT5 - if "it's not that cold" (at least around 5°c) I'm on my bike, so here some photos just to show you that I of course use it ;)

Sorry for the poor photo quality, my fingers were a bit frozen and I was in rush :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plpete

by plpete

Always enjoy seeing your updates, Jure. I had done an engine swap in my car in the past and still remember the joy and pride when it fired up! I can only imagine the feeling of riding a frame that you designed and created from scratch! Looking forward to seeing more of your great work! :beerchug:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks! Once you start with those projects you just get addicted :beerchug:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

New handmade product - plain beauty layer, gloss and with "ghost graphics".
27.2mm x 350mm and 137g

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

that is spectacular!

Berk wrote:I guess it should be approved from UCI, and then there are here some other things, there are also the team sponsors who would of course "prefer" that their riders use their equipment etc.,..so it's not that easy.

Anyway, here are some news regarding the bar/stem combo. You can see the progress on the previous pages, and it started with a weight of 300g (the original setup). After I removed the faceplate and after some more carbon reinforcements it's not 303g. So I added 3g. But could make it around 10g lighter if I wouldn't use the cosmetic layer also on the stem etc., as I already mentioned, but it looks much better like that :thumbup:. Hope you'll like it:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks @jz4nyc!

Some new custom parts - carbon number holders with custom ALU bolts. Weight with ALU bolt is 2.8g

You don't need any tools to tighten the number to the carbon holder.

Otherwise I'm working on a very interesting combo - the lightest that was ever made by me! Just a teaser, the tube has 40g and was custom made by Schmolke for this combo...will have some more news tomorrow!

I also made a new saddle shell that is based on AX Sprint, and the saddle shell is already in process. Really can't wait to build this combo!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

A new project, I could call it "the ultimate combo" :mrgreen:

Here is the tube. It's not made by me, but it's a custom tube from Schmolke with a custom layup, made especially for this combo project:

It's a bit too long, so it will be <40g for the tube.

And the saddle shell - it's an AX Sprint based saddle shell. I just made a new mould and here is the first saddle shell. It's 15.5g, but now when I hold it in my hands I see that I can make it even a bit lighter, so I'll laminate a new saddle shell soon - my aim is to make it with around 13g.

It has the same cosmetic layer as the tube.

Everything together:

Once I'm happy with the weigh of the saddle shell it should be around <55g glued together. Because the rider is very light (60kg) I'll also make a custom layup of the reinforcements on the bottom of the saddle. So we'll see how this will turn out, it should be extremely light, but of course reliable. I'll keep you updated!

xc71

by xc71

Simply amazing Jure, did Schmolke use T1000 for this project?
Any further development with the Carbon bolts?

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

<55g? :shock: :shock: :shock: WOW

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Really looking forward to seeing the finished product. :thumbup:

WOW! great work.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I hope you're able to sell that saddle by itself at some point!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks to all! I'll for sure experiment also in the future, I already had a closer look on the Schmolke tube, and will see...will have to experiment a bit. Unfortunately I don't have the information which carbon was used.

Otherwise I think that once it's finished it should weight around 80g (?), we'll see!

Regarding the bolts unfortunately I don't have any news. It's from a friend of mine who could help me to make these, but he'll most probably rather make some carbon Garmin holders and number holders. If he'll manage to do that I'll let you know. Otherwise they do make some bolts, but not the right dimensions that could be used for road bicycle.

veganeric

by veganeric

80g!?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Some more progress, glued together:

The saddle is still completely rough, the edges will be cut after the last carbon work. Now I have to make the carbon reinforcements on the bottom of the saddle. I made some calculations for the carbon reinforcements and in the end it should weight around 80g, we'll see!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Is this a one-off project or can this me made for others (like me :) )