Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

BmanX

by BmanX

I have been waiting for a while to sort out my 29er and now I am 100% sure that I need a new saddle for the build. I think a lot of the people on WW will buy a saddle just to help support this new venture as we all believe in your amazing work. Keep up the great work and I personally would love to see the other items you are creating.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

munk93

by munk93

That rifle is just :shock: Also the video on facebook, that you uploaded some time ago. :thumbup:
Definately cheering for Mr. Dokl.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks to all, really appreciate those positive comments!

For the new products, I'm working on some of them already since 2011, but don't want to publish yet anything, you know, the competition is watching and I already had some strange experiences with a few companies only because a few photos or words that I wrote, so I'm a bit more careful what I do. But I'll for sure keep you updated as soon as I have some more news! If you are interested I can also post photos of different products that aren't related to cycling, but don't want to make too much offtopic.

eric

by eric

Looking forward to the saddle and the seatpost!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

I'll keep you updated as soon as possible!

I have to apologize to everyone who wrote to info(a)berk-composites.com, because a small error all the post went in the spam box and I just noticed it today, will answer to all as soon as possible, sorry once again and thanks for your understanding!

Best Regards,
Jure

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Sorry for the poor photo quality, but here just one photo of the saddle covered with real leather:

The webpage http://www.berk-composites.com is under construction and I'm already very excited to start with it! If it will be like planned the production should start in the second half of February, when also the webpage should be ready.
Otherwise it will be available in two widths - 132mm and 150mm. With matte or gloss carbon look, and of course optional also with leather. I'll keep you updated!

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Jure, your work just keeps getting better and better! Tell me, how did you start with bikes and composites? I remember you saying you built model rockets. I'm in my second year studying mechanical engineering at university in the UK and would like to start making some small items.

All the best! :beerchug:

liketoride

by liketoride

wow Jure, really great job with that saddle. Cannot wait to get my stuff going. how much does that wt? Also do you think the 150 saddles will be ready in mid Feb? great job again.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks!

Basicly I started with chemistry, back in 2005/2006. At that time I only had 13 years but I always had to work on someting.
Otherwise I started cycling by my own when I had only 9 when we moved from the countryside (we moved to a small town where I still live). I guess I missed the nature and just went on my bike to relax a bit, started with around 5-10km per day at that age and I fall in love with cycling. Next year I already made more than 2000 km, found a local climb near my home and it was around 20km to go up there and back home, so I went there almost every day, when I didn't have school even twice a day (in the morning and in the vening). So I decided to go in a cycling club, I was quite good and started to cycle in team Radenska, where I raced also as a pro till 2012. My first race in my life was in Italy, and I was 5th, the next week in Italy I already won my first race and I really get the right motivation to train and race. Here just one photo from 2006 when I was 14:

Otherwise to go back to the chemistry, I started to experiment with different rocket fuels made completely by my own. In 2007 I managed to develop my own rocket fuel made with basic chemicals that anyone could buy. Here just a few photos from a presentation that I had, it was on a meeting of young scinetists. As you can see the fuel ignited quite well (it may look a bit strange, but don't worry, the fire was 1m away from me):
ImageImageImage
I had the right support at home so that they allowed me to work with chemicals, but I had to be very very careful. My mother is a chemistry teacher and my father a doctor, so of course I had to learn how to work with the right protection, with the right equipment etc.,..probably I already mentioned, but I had that luck that I was able to start with those project also because a stipendium that I get (3% of the best students get it at that time) and I was able to invest in different equipment, that I was later able to use also for working with composites. After a lot of experimenting I and a friend of mine (we were from the same class and also neighbours) started to make rockets with our own fuel. The rocket housing was basicly made similar like a composite tube. We made a research and developed our own rocket motor with our own fuel and housing, I really enjoyed that research and we get an award as the best young scientist. After that we started to experiment even more with chemistry, especially my friend was very interested for other experiments, and we made all kinf od stuff..here just a few poor quality photos that I could find at this moment:
Image Image
At some point it became too dangerous, we managed to make experiments that I didn't even imagined it is possible to make at home (plastic explosives..), and it may hear stupid, but probably it was a good thing that we even had some problems with police. Someone obviously knew that we were working on different experiments, we had some complications but in the end everything was ok, and we decided to stop with it. Those projects were secred and even our parents didn't knew that, he he..anyway. So it was time to start with something new, and I started with composites. As mentioned I cycle since I was a smalll child and the rocket housing was made similar like some composite products, so I started to experiment with composites.

It took me a few years to get on a level where I decided to start with new carbon projects, and then decided to share them a bit. I made my first frame when I had 15, and then slowly upgraded my skills and knowledge. You have to jump in the water and learn how to swim. So I work with composites already quite a few years and all the time looking how to upgrade some things, start with new projects etc.,..it's a quite long road if I look back, the knowledge from chemistry for sure helped, and also learned a lot those years, and I'm of course still learning. There are also a lot of other things that I'm interested in but unfortunately don't have enough time for everything:). But I'm used to always work on something and also if I wouldn't work with composites I'm sure that I would start with something similar. If I don't get an answer how it works etc. I just have to discover it by my own. Otherwise I raced till 2012 and at that point it was too much for me. Study, 24k km per season, carbon work and a lot of other interesting things that I wanted to work on, friends, girlfriend,...so I decided to stop racing and invest more time for other things, I think that I already wrote quite a lot regarding my decisions. Anyway, I'll give my best also in the future and will keep you updated.

@liketoride
Thanks! For the weight - it should be around 66g. Would love to promise but unfortunately it doesn't depend only from me, the moulds are ordered and if everything goes as promised it should be ready in second half of February. I'll for sure keep you updated and will give my best.

vdrey

by vdrey

OK. Some on had to say it---that spacer tower in the first picture is hideous.:D:D:D:D:D

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, that was a really cool story.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Didn't saw that at all :lol: really a lot of spacers, don't remember at all what was my position at that time, but as a junior I remember I had it completely slammed and with a -17° stem..at least I wasn't overweight :mrgreen:
Thanks! And sorry for those long posts, hope it doesn't discourage you from reading

plpete

by plpete

One word Jure, Amazing! Keep up the great work. It goes to show what you can accomplish when you really put your mind to it and have your head screwed on right :thumbup: Necessity is the mother of invention. You didn't know or have something but went ahead and learned and figured it out. Kudos!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks! I really hope that in the future I'll be able to start with some other projects, a lot of different projects are in my mind and hopefully I'll be able to show them here some day, I basicly constructed to the last detail already most of them, even designed and draw the moulds.. But right now the paper work is killing me, so much complications, even worse if you're a student,..anyway, I hope that it's only in Slovenia that complicated, will keep you updated as soon as I have some more news:)

tharmor

by tharmor

Berk - I am certain that somewhere in the 106 pages of this thread you have addressed the idea if making your own wheels. I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter. You seem keen on improving every part of your bike, except the wheels. Are wheels just too complicated?

**edit**

I would be most interested in your vision of a meilenstein by lightweight or even a Mavic Ultimate

vdrey

by vdrey

Hey, did that biathlon guy get to the Olympics?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com