Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Wow! Beautiful and incredible.
The cycling industry needs more small manufacturers like Jure!
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks to all, really appreciate that!
I'll try to answer all your questions, if I missed anything just let me know!

cyclistcong wrote:just one question, will there be a rider's weight limit for the saddle?

It depends from a few things. My aim is to make it reliable and after I get the resoults from some impact tests etc., I'll see. More or less it depends only from the saddle rails, because for the saddle shell I can make a custom layup :thumbup:.
Here just one more photo where you can see the ALU small tube that is used for the saddle rails. It's hollow and very light:
I'll see how the saddle rails will perform, till now they seem rock solid, but I still have to make some impact tests in my workshop, and I also test it on the road. In case that it would hold only for example max. 90kg, I could use a solid ALU tube for +90kg rider, etc.,...I'll give my best to found the solution, but first some more tests have to be done, I'll most probably send it also to an institute where it will be tested.

Regarding the branding/logos, my plan was to put just a very small "Berk" signature on the "bridge" :thumbup:, I don't like "screaming" logos all over the place, I'll keep it simple and "let the product talk by himself".

Some new prototypes are already in process and I'll keep you updated about the progress! I also use the first prototype saddle on my bike and today I made a 2h long ride again without any problems. I also want to make sure that the saddle won't damage the shorts etc.,.. I'll also try to over-torque the saddle rails to see what happens etc.,...anyway, some more experiments still to do and I really love this work! :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewis

by Lewis

Stunning work. :thumbup: your bike is one of the best looking machines I have ever seen, beautiful. Keep up the good work :)
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks Lewis! :beerchug:

Pushing the limits - new prototype saddle with carbon saddle rails:

52.9g

After first tests there are some resoults - I calculated that I can save around 15% of the weight compared to the layup that I used for the first prototype saddle. So new prototype saddles are already in process and they will be soon tested,...

I'll keep you updated about the process!

astranoc

by astranoc

When can we get one? :D

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

They really look nice.. Denfantly gona need one once you figure out how to combo one!

liketoride

by liketoride

i want a combo so bad. i have been waiting for other peices on the bike to come in so that i can get the saddle just right and then i am getting one. great job once again your work is crazy nice.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Lovely looking work here Berk!
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks to all, really appreciate your positive comments!

The new saddle prototoype is already used by me and I really like the comfort - now it is like it should be!

But now I have to make some more tests - some destruction tests etc.,...a bit hearthbreaking :lol: but it has to be done to figure out how it performs. The innegra/carbon hybrid already provides the safety that you need in case if it would break, there shouldn't be any real sharp edges and it won't fall apart also if it breaks (for example if you're a MTB rider and you crash, you could still use the saddle also if you break it on several areas). I made an experiment and broke a saddle shell on 2 areas on both sides and you can still ride it and the saddle won't fall apart. Of course not the best scenario (and you may damage your shorts), but just in case. Anyway, I'll keep you updated about the progress!

cfred84

by cfred84

Berk wrote:Thanks Lewis! :beerchug:

Pushing the limits - new prototype saddle with carbon saddle rails:

After first tests there are some resoults - I calculated that I can save around 15% of the weight compared to the layup that I used for the first prototype saddle. So new prototype saddles are already in process and they will be soon tested,...

I'll keep you updated about the process!

Incredible weight!! If this was off the shelf, I'd probably rob you to get my hands on one!!
Nice work once again!!

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Great work, Berk!
I'm definitely interested in one as my KomVor is cracking for no reason :(

DanW

by DanW

I would also very happily take a saddle off your hands if they are cluttering up the workshop? :D

Really great work Jure :thumbup:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks for all those compliments :thumbup:

Recently a lot of things were going on and I didn't really had any time to post more updates here.
Only managed to do a few repairs, here just one example of a broken toptube.

Before:

After:

For my repairs a special process is used, where the tube is repaired from the inside. Basicly the carbon reinforcements on the inside are stronger than the tube itself.

Otherwise I also already have some resoults from the carbon railed saddle tests - the lightweight version (52,9g saddle) is OK for road use and <75g, but at this moment it seems that it isn't the best for MTB. So I'm working on improving the layup to the last detail, so provide a saddle that can be used in any conditions and also for higher weight. Based on my calculations the final version should have around 7-8g more than the lightweight saddle, so that would mean that I should be able to make a perfectly reliable saddle that would weight around 60g also for riders with around 90kg. I'm working hard on this project and will keep you updated! It takes some time and I'm sorry that it takes soo long, but I want to make it perfect and it takes some time,...but I'm very close to the final version :thumbup:

DanW

by DanW

I think we can all wait a bit longer for something so stunning :D Very happy to test the robustness of the saddle for MTB (paying customer of course ;) )

Frame repair looks awesome as well! I am always amazed how good carbon repairs can look and function

DanW

by DanW

I my search for saddles I came across the Engage (AX Lightness based company) Fluke which shares at least some design features of your new saddle Berk. I don't know if you might have come across it before? Obviously it isn't hand made and is more than double the weight of you new prototypes (of course the cover is some but not all of this difference) which just goes to show how amazing your design/ manufacturing must be! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com