Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

psychoCX13

by psychoCX13

In regards to the Berk saddles, which would be preferable for CX racing, gravel riding and fire trails?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi,
we don't promote our saddles as a MTB saddle because on our Lupina saddle model you can get stuck at the rear two wings, so if XC or similar then for sure List or Hlod.

Some more photos from our workshop, all the saddles are inspected and then cleaned. Anfter that they are ready for the clearcoat process or padding:

Here are some finished saddles, gloss look and different carbon look we offer - UD, 3k or 12K

We also finally managed to produce some more stock of our Sito cycling shoes. They are already available in a few shops worldwide, and we of course also sell them directly:

We developed our own process how to in-mould a special rubber directly into the carbon sole, basicly all made together with the carbon work:

And some WW tuning, a clamp for all Dogma owners, it saves almost 30g compared to the original setup. It will be soon added in our shop:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

We will also soon start to produce these:
Just working on a few last details,...those shoes (and also with the laces) will be used also by some world tour riders next year :thumbup:. We'll have some more updates soon.

Otherwise as a company we decided to focus on saddles and shoes, and in the future we want to present also our monocoque wheelset which is at the last stages of development. We of course produce also custom framesets with handlebar and seatpost, but it will be all offered only as a complete set. So basicly: saddles, shoes, framesets (with our seatpost and hanlebar included), and in the future hopefully also our wheelsets.

KCookie

by KCookie

Are they a standard width or would they fit a slightly wider foot.

Delorre

by Delorre

Berk wrote:
@Gearjunkie
Maybe our List saddle model would suit you better? It is a Lupina bassed saddle shell, but without cutout and padded. The saddle shell is 132mm, but with padding it is actually 140mm (3mm of padding and leather)

Does it mean that a padded 132mm Lupina is also 140mm wide and not 132?
Last edited by Delorre on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I know I could probably find the answer if I read all 153 pages of this thread, but likely easier to ask it again even if it has been asked/discussed:

1. What saddle model resembles the feel of a Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow best? Have nee using it for years, but wouldn't mind upgrading to lighter if the fit/feel remains the same. Funny enough, I took the padding off one as it got torn and it feels much better than with the padding.

2. Is there any way to have any of the non-padded saddles painted white under clear coat so the paint doesn't rub off or fade?

3. Lastly, will those shoes be made in white as well? All white with the black lettering would be awesome. Seriously dislike black shoes for cycling!!

Thanks.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

dgasmd, before Berk himself kicks in,

1) Berk Lupina 132mm would be the closest, but it does have a longer nose which might or might not have an impact of how you sit on it.

2) look a few pages back, Berk has a (custom) saddle model, all carbon, with leather inserts of color of your choice (weighs 75g). Looks like these: Image
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

marecej

by marecej

Berk wrote:We also finally managed to produce some more stock of our Sito cycling shoes. They are already available in a few shops worldwide, and we of course also sell them directly:

I see where the design comes from :-)

Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

KCookie wrote:Are they a standard width or would they fit a slightly wider foot.

The fit is pretty similar like Northwave, if we try to compare it. But the complete shoe is made different than most production (plastic - stiffer area around toes) shoes, but they are for sure for a lower foot and also no problem if slightly wider foot. I have a bit wider foot, just so that Sidi was a bit too narrow, but don't have any problem with our shoes (or Northwave if it helps for comparison)

@mrlobber :thumbup:

@dgasmd
Most riders who came from SLR Kit Carbonio really like our Lupina model. The most important is the saddle shape, the padding really can't help you if you won't like the saddle shape.

2) like mrlobber posted, we can make such saddle, we don't recommend to paint it because our saddle shell is manufactured so that it can flex (to provide the right comfort) and if painted it for sure wouldn't work well

3) I have a pair of white shoes already the past two seasons - the main problem is that it is extremely hard to clean them, the white fabric gets grey after some more use. Hopefully we'll find a way to produce also white in the future, personally I am also a fan of white shoes for cycling. But at this moment we will produce only black for now. Maybe we'll give another try with a few small changes, we'll see

Delorre wrote:
Berk wrote:
@Gearjunkie
Maybe our List saddle model would suit you better? It is a Lupina bassed saddle shell, but without cutout and padded. The saddle shell is 132mm, but with padding it is actually 140mm (3mm of padding and leather)

Does it mean that a padded 132mm Lupina is also 140mm wide and 132?

Yes, basicly the saddle shells for our padded saddles are the same as on the full carbon saddles, only with added padding and leather, which adds around 3-4mm of thickness (on each side then if you measure the actual width)

sib

by sib

Berk wrote:Most riders who came from SLR Kit Carbonio really like our Lupina model. The most important is the saddle shape, the padding really can't help you if you won't like the saddle shape.

Do the Lupina and the List have the same shape (excepting the cutout)?
Is one more flexible than the other?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi,
yes, it is based on the same shape, only that the List is without the cutout and it is made with a bit different process. The flex is similar, but the properties of the saddle are a bit different. On the Lupina each side works for itself and it has a bit different feeling because of that, otherwise the layup is very similar.

4151zero

by 4151zero

Jure. How about charcoal gray shoes with stealth reflectivity in the threads, then add speedplays 4 bolt direct fit carbon soles!

sib

by sib

Thanks!
A couple more questions:

1. Do you have any side-on photographs of the List?
2. How long are the List and the Lupina?

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

4151zero wrote:...stealth reflectivity in the threads, then add speedplays 4 bolt direct fit carbon soles!

That's a winner! I'd prefer to see a B&W color scheme and boa's or similar; no laces for me.

I need a high-volume toe box. Sidi and Bont work great for me. Will Sito be similar? I'm not familiar with Northwave.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

hows the 31.6 post coming along Jure?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com