Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi Steff, unfortunately I didn't made it yet, although it most probably wouldn't be a problem - the only problem is my free time :mrgreen:

I have some great news - the moulds for the new saddle project is in process!

Me in front of the CNC, I'll rather keep working on carbon projects... :mrgreen:

Some more progress:

A friend of mine on the left (the CNC master) and I with the mould in my hands. It's not completely finished yet, it needs to be polished etc., and then I'll be able to make the first prototype saddles, can't wait!

In the next few days also the moulds for the saddle rails should be finished, I'll keep you updated.

And just one more prototype product - new prototype bottle cage, very stiff and 11,7g
Suitable for ordinary bottle cage bolts (max. 5mm high bolt head)
Last edited by Berk on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So awesome!!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Berk wrote:And just one more prototype product - new prototype bottle cage, very stiff and 11,7g

I don't know, 11.7gm is practically a boat anchor! :lol:

bJay

by bJay

How are you going to make your saddle rails Jure? I'm stuck on this at the moment with my own (non-commercial) work :(

B
a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in lycra

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

prendrefeu wrote:So awesome!!

:beerchug:

@bJay
I don't have yet the moulds, but I already constructed the layup the the last detail and I shouldn't have any bigger problems.. The most important are good moulds, and I'll for sure have some very good moulds!

The saddle mould is on polishing right now, and I should get it in a few weeks, then I'll slowly start with some saddle shells...and hopefully I'll also get the moulds for the saddle rails next week, I'll keep you updated!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

If you need a test pilot Jure for a combo made with the new shell I'm willing to help ;)

Looks really good though! I have a friend here who just got an SLR combo from you and you can see the increase of skills between the finish of mine and his. Your only getting better :thumbup:

Anders

by Anders

When you start thinking about making a wider version of the saddle please have a look at the Specialized Romin shape in1 143mm width. It is their big seller. Having ridden SLR saddles it was a revelation to get on a saddle which such great support especially when in the hoods due to the small upsweep in the back. Your cut out is very similar to that of the Romin which is great. When you make that I will order one at once.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@sugarkane
Thanks! I'll keep that in my mind and if I'll need any help I'll let you know ;)

@Anders
The saddle that is now in process is ~130mm, and I could construct a wider saddle, but first I have to see how this will turn out. My next saddle would be for sure a wider one, and a TT specific saddle..so we'll see, first it will take some time that I test this one that is in porcess etc.,..I'll keep you updated for sure! And thanks't for the opinions, they are more than welcome!

timj

by timj

The CNC mould looks really nice! any pics of what the finished surface looks like?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

I'll post some new photos as soon as it's completely finished.

Right now the moulds for the saddle rails are in process and then it needs to be polished. The mould for the saddle shell is at this moment at a company where they will polish it. I'll for sure send some more photos when I get it in my hands, it may take a week or so.

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Anders wrote:When you start thinking about making a wider version of the saddle please have a look at the Specialized Romin shape in1 143mm width. It is their big seller. Having ridden SLR saddles it was a revelation to get on a saddle which such great support especially when in the hoods due to the small upsweep in the back. Your cut out is very similar to that of the Romin which is great. When you make that I will order one at once.

If you going to do a Romin clone, I would recommend the 155 vs. 143. Most people who purchase a romin and measure a 143 on the assometer usually upsize. I think Specialized have actually changed their recs based on this.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Some new photos after a few days of silence..quite busy these days and didn't had a lot of time for carbon projects, but anyway, here are some of them.

If you ever wondered how a combo looks before clearcoat, somehow like this:
I still had to sand it a bit, then clean with alcohol etc.,...and clearcoat.

Just another photo - worn nail after hours of precise work with different tools...
Working on a completely new custom project, this time not for cycling... ;)

And some more interesting news that I didn't shared yet - a new prototype combo for a special bike..

Some weight and aero tuning:
352g vs. 455g
(the tuned PROTO-TYPE combo on the left is ~30mm shorter).

More than 100g weight savings and more aero.

And a new roll of high quality carbon fiber - UD prepreg :beerchug:
Complete roll (!) will be used for experiments, prototype products and testing..of course the roll is stored in freezer at -30°C..

I'm preparing for some new projects...

But not everythign is perfect - the moulds for the saddle rails still aren't finished. There is a small detail that has to be changed for making the moulds for it. The product will remain as it was designed, but the tools have to change a bit, so it may take some more time before I'll have the first prototype saddles,..I'll for sure keep you updated about the progress!

hetchins68

by hetchins68

that might be your Teeth Project???? :wink: ... :beerchug:

can't wait to see your new saddle combo!!

Berk wrote:Some new photos after a few days of silence..quite busy these days and didn't had a lot of time for carbon projects, but anyway, here are some of them.

Just another photo - worn nail after hours of precise work with different tools...
Working on a completely new custom project, this time not for cycling... ;)

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Do you have photos of the underside of the Sky combo?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi, unfortunately I don't, sorry.

Well, my father is a dentist :mrgreen: and I love those tools also in my work..by the way, also my brother is a student of dental medicine, so I guess I'll stay in touch with those tools also in the future :lol:

Otherwise, the project that I'm working on is a carbon bitahlon rifle for a friend of mine - a pro biathlon athlete, if I'm right I already mentioned it here in this topic. Anyway, we're working on this project for the next winter Olympic games.
The rifle was designed together with Peter (the biathlon athlete) and GorjupDesign (www.gorjupdesign.si - he is also on Facebook, he's a professional designer who works for different famous companies), both my very good friends.
So we put our heads together and started with that project..I know it's a cycling forum, but if you're interested I can share some more photos as soon as I make some more progress. By the way, we cycle together with Peter during the summer, so he's also a road cyclist when he isn't on the snow :thumbup:

Otherwise we first made a 3D print model, to make sure that everything will be perfect etc.,..quite a lot of effort already put in this rifle, and it's finally getting serious when I started to make the moulds for it.