Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

NiFTY

by NiFTY

How much weight does the full leather cover + 3mm padding add Berk?
I was also wondering whether you can accommodate for setback with combos, as i am running effectively 18mm setback presently.
If you can, do you have any images of combo's where the riders came off a setback seatpost?

Cheers.

Also - your work is incredible.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@pitbull
Thanks! I'll keep you updated..

The leather covered saddle with 3mm padding came it at 88g (the one on the photo with the grey leather), it of course depends from the leather and the amount of glue, but it should be around 90g.
Regarding the combo - basicly any position is possible, so if you would be interested just write to info(a)berk-composites.com and I would have some more questions then.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

A bit different:

All the holes are made by hand.

(76g)

bfno

by bfno

WOW! Thats beautiful! Any idea how much you save with that and it is still comfortable?
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!
The saddle rides basicly the same as a saddle that has only a leather cover. DOn't know how much weight is saved (probably around 5-6g because the holes) but it all depends from the leather, the weight of the saddle is 76g.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi,
some more photos of the special edition saddle:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/97028956@ ... 645451107/

Otherwise also a few frame projects are in process and I'll soon have some more photos for you. This time a medium sized frame is in process and it will be soon finished, this time with internal cable routing and 1K look etc.,..

Also the webpage is already working, but still a few things to change, but anyway here it is how it should look like:

Otherwise very busy in the past few weeks, no holidays and soon I'll also have the last two exams to finish my university, so as you can imagine a lot of things going on this year :)
I was also at Eurobike and had some very interesting meetings. I can already tell that I will offer also custom made framesets in 2015, with 3T fork (on request also with their parts),..and I'm in contact also with Shimano and Sram, so maybe I might offer also a complete bike built,..I'll for sure keep you updated also in the future.
Also the other big project on which I'm working is still in development (monocoque carbon wheelset), I'll let you know as soon as I have some more news!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

One more thing - also 2 new saddle models are in progress, without the cutout and for TT/Tri. I'll keep you updated!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Frame in process..glued together in the jig

It's a custom geometry, but in general very similar to most medium sized frames.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

New saddle model, just one photo of a completely rough saddle:

In around one week we will also offer it for sale, price for that saddle model will be 220eur, free worldwide shipping. The price is lower because there is less work for it and I'm giving my best to make them as affordable as possible, but of course still lightweight and reliable. That saddle model is even a bit lighter, the saddle with the cutout is <69g (for 132mm), and that saddle without the cutout is cca. 6g lighter, so it's <63g. Also the 150mm wide model is in process.

Otherwise you can find more informations on the webpage: http://www.berk-composites.com

Will soon have some more news, also a TT/Tri saddle will soon be in production, just finishing all the tests and paper work etc.,..I'll keep you updated!

BmanX

by BmanX

I am building up a new Tri bike and want a tri saddle.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

I'll keep you updated about the TT/Tri

Here just one more photo of a 150mm padded saddle (3mm padding) and leather cover, came in at 90g:

And some more experimenting, this time we made a Innegra S sleeve, made with the rovings that were provided to us from Innegra Technologies LLC.
This innegra sleeve could be used as the external layer of the saddle rails, might be interesting to have white saddle rails (innegra is a similar material to kevlar)

BmanX

by BmanX

Jure, if you are in talks with Sram, would you ever do a frame with no cable runs for shifters if they do release wireless shifting. I think that could be a very interesting project.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

That would be great, already had a meeting in Germany with Sram and also Shimano, and we will see if we will be able to cooperate in the future. We already get in contact with 3T, so we will use their forks for the frameset.

BmanX

by BmanX

They are stepping up with components as well.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Yes we can also offer a frameset with their components on request, will soon write more details on our website.

Right now I'm working on a lot of different experiments and building my own equipment for different manufacturing processes, already made 3 devices but unfortunately won't publish any actual photos...even those devices are made with carbon fiber :thumbup: ...here just one photo from an experimental device that removes air from the epoxy resin:
I made different carbon plates/samples with different manufacturing processes - from prepreg, RTM, wet layup etc., and inspected them with microscope.. I'm searching for the best process that will be used for the next big project on which we are working..;)