Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks for the compliments!

About the forks - unfortunately I also don't know the exact meausures, I will have to meausure it.

The geometry is based on my position in the past 2 years and is quite similar to my actual frame (I ride frame size "L", I have quite short legs for my 185cm) and I made the frame for a 25mm offset seatpost. Altough I will most probably made an integrated saddle, I won't change the angle of the seat-tube because it will be possible to use also a stubby with an ordinary saddle if I would rather use an ordinary saddle, and if I will change the position, etc.,... maybe I will even use an ordinary seatpost, that will be also possible, because it is 31.6mm in the inside of the seat-tube...will see :wink: first I have to finish the frame. Unfortunately I'm not a lot at home and quite busy at this moment, I just came home from Italy where I had a few races, and on Friday I'll again go abroad,..anyway, as soon as I will find some more time for this project I will keep you updated.

DuPreez

by DuPreez

I've had more of a look and without surprise previous weightweenies posts have provided the answers :D . That said you will have to make an assumption that the addict fork has the same dimensions as a CR1 fork. The dimensions are as follows;

3t Funda 43mm x 367mm
Scott CR1 45mm x 380mm

At a glance the scott fork ought to raise the front end by approximately 1cm (give or take a few mm depending on other geometric factors). I would definitely try both as they ought to have a significant effect on all geometric choices you have made.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Hyde

by Mr.Hyde

Cool dropouts, with the internal cabel routing. Can't wait for the next update :-)

BmanX

by BmanX

What I love about these builds is that they keep getting better and better every time. I can not wait till he decides to make his ultimate dream bike.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Epic-o

by Epic-o

You have beaten Peter Denk's dropouts by just 0.6gr...

Great work. One question, what tools do you use to dimensionate your frames?
Attachments
Dibujofds.jpg

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

First of all thanks to all and for those specifications :beerchug:

@DuPreez
I will sure try with both forks, of course as soon as I manage to make the frame and build a bike.. :wink:

@Mr.Hyde
Thanks! I will consider those dropouts as a "test model" and will make then some new one (the same shape).

@Epic-o
Hopefully I understood your question right - I fix all the parts on a flat surface and first glue all the parts together to provide that everything is precise. After that I make some more carbon work on the joints, etc..

Here just a few more photos from those dropouts, just to show you how I will make it with the internal routing.

You can see the orange small tube - those small tubes will be in-laminated in the inside of the tubes and connected together in one smooth line, so that the cable will run smooth and the instalation of the cables won't be a problem. It's true that it will be a bit harder to make it, but it will be worth the extra work :thumbup:

Rough dropout with cable:

The small tube in the dropout is slightly curved because the rear derailleur cable routing.

The weight of this dropout is at this moment 31.7g. Anyway, I will make a new pair of them and they still have to be a bit shorter for the frame etc.,..at the end it should be less than 60g for both dropouts.

This week (till Friday) I'm still very busy and hopefully I will manage to continue with the work soon, just can't wait that I make some more work on this project!
Yesterday I had a criterium race here in Slovenia (http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6iv8tj&s=7), altough I helped my team-mate who is a sprinter, I finished in 10th place..unfortunately he crashed and finished only on 9th place, but anyway, it was a nice race also with some Slovenian pro riders from Geox, Liquigas, Lampre,...probably you know Bole and Koren?...just to let you know that I spend a lot of time training, racing,.. :wink:

BmanX wrote:What I love about these builds is that they keep getting better and better every time. I can not wait till he decides to make his ultimate dream bike.

It's really very interesting also for me. I will for sure contiune making some new components, frames,..altough I don't really need them because I ride my sponsor equipment, but anyway :mrgreen:... After I make this frame I will have to decide what will be my next project (a TT frame or a wheelset, will see, hopefully both, it depends also on my financial status...probably I will first try to make only the front wheel, I already designed all the details for the moulds, procedure,..but first I will finish this frame).
My dream bike would probably be with Di2 internal routing and of course with most of the components made by me ;)...

Epic-o

by Epic-o

Berk wrote:@Epic-o
Hopefully I understood your question right - I fix all the parts on a flat surface and first glue all the parts together to provide that everything is precise. After that I make some more carbon work on the joints, etc..

No, I was referring to study wall thickness, number of additional layers in the joints, inertias, etc to make sure that your frame won't break

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

I work on the base of already known details about the wall thickness for carbon frames and also from my own experiances for the thickness of tubes and joints (for instance - the toptube of the frame is one of the thinnest/weakest tube..). I calculate how much different types of carbon I have to use on the joints. I use also some carbon/kelvar hybrid fibres to prevent cracking. And of course also all the areas where any holes are (for the cable instalation, bottle cages, etc.) are also reinforced with some carbon/kevlar and some more carbon fibre to prevent cracking and to assure the stiffness of the tube.

rjk8

by rjk8

Jure you always make the sickest carbon originals. Keep up the great posts. :thumbup:
R.J.
Some people tune their car, I prefer to tune my bike.
http://ilcappellino.blogspot.com/

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@rjk8

I have some more photos, but unfortunately not from the frame project.. I made another combo, this time it is SUB 120g!

119.2g 8)
31.6mm x 280mm

The tube is 2.2mm thick.

I already made some more work on the frame, but only with the shape of the tubes. As soon as there will be some more "carbon progress" I will let you know. Till then, hope you at least enjoy those photos from my other projects... :thumbup:

mythical

by mythical

These are exciting developments, Jure. Can't wait to see photos of the main triangle! :thumbup:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks! I will give my best to make it as soon as possible because I also just can't wait that I put it together! As you mentioned, I will first have to glue together the front triangle, and as soon as it will be done I will post some new photos :thumbup:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Some details for the cable routing..."integrated cable end caps":

The diemater of the cable stop is only 6mm. I don't like those huge holes for the internal instalation like on some serial frames (on my team bike Cento1 it is 12mm for the internal routing/cable stop...)

And the top-tube:

Of course I will still have to do some more work on the surface etc.,...but I will make it later, when I will bond the tubes together and after that I will probably cover the cable routing details with the same beauty layer as on the tubes,..anyway, hope you like it! The cable stops are simple, useful and lightweight :thumbup:

USofChay

by USofChay

Very cool! I like the shape a lot -- very sleek. Why is the cosmetic finish so different?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

USofChay wrote:Very cool! I like the shape a lot -- very sleek. Why is the cosmetic finish so different?

I'm glad that you like it!
The cosmetic finish is some kind of UD-look because I made a carbon fibre compound to "glue" the cable stops. It is a mixture of carbon and two other mixtures (not epoxy, but some special glues for carbon/carbon and carbon/ALU). I made it by myself and I like the way you can work with it :thumbup: of course I will have to sand it and at the end I will most probably also cover it with the same beauty layer as on the tubes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com