Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

artray

by artray

Berk wrote:Will see if I'll even be able to get the black edition, I still have to finish the frame first ;)

About the bottle cages - I already made some. But it's quite a lot of work for a bottle cage if you want to make it solid. I don't like those ultralight bottle cages like Tune Skyline etc., altought it's the easiest shape that you can make. But you can't use any bottle and I prefer to have a solid bottle cage. A few weeks ago I get the Tacx Uma Carbon bottle cages and already wanted to sell them, but will give them a try if I won't sell them.

The thing that I hate the most is to have some bad bottle cages. I remember a few years ago when we had a stage race with our U19 national team and I get some stupid bottle cages (I think that it was from Saso or something like that) and lost 3 bottles in only one 120km long stage. In the evening I went to our team car and throw those "super fancy" bottle cages in the trash somewhere in Germany around Karlsberg (I was really furious), and changed them for some stell bottle cages - who cares a few grams more if you're thirsty :mrgreen:. And one more reason why I hate bad bottle cages..probably I already mentioned, but last year I had a bad crash on a UCI 1.1 race, damaged my back quite hard and couldn't even walk normal for a few weeks..anyway, the reason was a crash in the downhil section because a few guys lost their bottles (because the bad road) and there was a crash at around 70km/h. I was in the hospital quite long..ultralight bottle cages? No way. I had Elite Custom bottle cages last season, and after more than 24 000 km didn't lost even one bottle.

I use a tune skyline bottle cage [4grms] .You can only use a Tacx bottle, but it is superb.If you push your bottle in to hard it can almost get stuck . I have never lost a bottle, even over very bumpy roads. Maybe you could make something simular, but adapted for most bottles .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Will see, if I'll have some more free time I'll probably experiment a bit also with bottle cages..but it all takes time if you want to make it good :)

I just get the information that I won't be able to get the black edition groupset and will keep mine. I removed the red paint with some precise sanding. It's much better now compared to the black labels that I used before.. After some clear coat and polishing here is the resoult:

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

Yeah it looks cool and much better then the original looks

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@Fuchspk:
Thanks, I also prefer the new look!

Today I get the rubber that I'll use for the "inserts" - for the end of the tubes like I already mentioned. I'll cut the pieces and just put them in the mould. Under one side of the rubber insert I'll put one more thin tape (double-sided tape) that will hold the rubber in place and make the shape of the tube a bit "cone formed" (like I draw it on a photo on page 25). Very simple, effective and cheap :mrgreen:.

Just one photo to show you how I'll make it (the mould on this photo isn't for the frame project, just a thin proto-type mould, but anyway).

Once I'll have the tubes I'll reinforce the joints till the edge. With that procedure I'll have very clean looking resoults. Just can't wait to start with the carbon work!

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

hehe that is a funny idea :)

hope it works like you think. the frame should look real clean in the end like you mentioned.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

It will work ;) I already tested it...Not with rubber inserts, but with 2mm of electrical tape :lol:

Probably some of you will find this primitive,...but if possible just keep it simple :wink:

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

jo it is simple but why not. i never thought about this but i like this.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Just finished a new combo with a special beauty look combination - UD/twill.

I just have one more combo in process that's almost finished, and then I'll start with the carbon work for the frame project. I already prepared the moulds 8) ...will keep you updated!

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

Beautiful...
I'm definitely getting one for my next build :thumbup:

cerro

by cerro

That's a really nice combo Berk, love the "colours".

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

sure is pretty Jure

can't wait to see it in person :P

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks to all!

Just a small update - today I cut all the carbon pieces for the seattube and toptube. Quite a lot of precise work if you want to have a really good layup..so still quite a lot of work to do before the "real carbon work"..

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Just laminated two tubes for the frame..fingers crossed that everything will be ok!
I also laminated the saddle shell for my combo. This time I'll cover the combo with leather, and here is the piece of leather:

It's only 10g and I'll still have to cut the edges a bit once I'll glue it on the saddle... I know that this is weight weenies, but I like to try something new, and 10g isn't a lot for me..of course I can still remove it if I won't like it. It's true that as long as I have 64kg I can save some more weight only on my bike, but it's not a big deal for me if it's 10, 50 or even 100g more...but somehow I wish to end with around 70kg, together with the bike and my 185cm :mrgreen:

giantdale

by giantdale

:mrgreen:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Some news - just put the two tubes out of the mould. Seattube and toptube are already made! Here just one photo from the rough seattube:

As soon as I'll make some more work I'll post some new photos..soon I'll laminate also the downtube and chainstays, will keep you updated ;)

And some news from the parts that I'll use for the build. I just get those tubulars from my former team mechanic :)
Continental GP 4000 SR:

Tought that they weight more - both are 510g (254 and 256g).

We used Continental for the past 7 seasons, until last year, when we had Vittoria and Veloflex...wasn't that happy with them, and personally I prefer Continental. They'll be for a new wheelset...;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com