Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Something new - but this time not carbon work.
It's just a simple project, how to make your old saddle like new. All you need is some leather, glue and some skills :mrgreen:

Don't know if I already mentioned, but in our family is also a leather company. When I was a small child this work was really interesting for me and I already worked with leather before - leashs for horses and dogs, collars, hats,...anyway, here is the product, a saddle that is just like new:

For my PT4 NANO project I'll of course make a combo for myself, and will most probably cover the saddle with one thin layer of leather, will see...just because the look, because it won't be another all-black project ;)

As soon as I'll make my own carbon rails I'll be able to make my own saddles, of course also padded. Some time ago I posted a TT/Tri saddle shell, and the original saddle rails for it were 103g, and I really have to make my own rails, because it would be a shame if I would bond the 55g saddle shell with 103g saddle rails...anyway, I'm working on it and will sure keep you updated...
Last edited by Berk on Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Colin

by Colin

Is there anything you can't do?!? :lol:

As usual, impressed with your work! The saddle looks better than they do stock!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks!!

I love to create things by myself, and if I can connect it with cycling it's even better :D

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

What type of saddle was the shell? Looks like a SLR Kit Carbonio Flow. I'm curious b/c I'm thinking about removing the leather cover and padding from my Kit. Any suggestions?
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

TimmS

by TimmS

@ Fourthbook

Just do it, after removing the original cover and padding the saddle is the same shape as the c64.
After putting a single layer of leather back on the weightsaving is about 20 gr.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

:shock: WOW, your project are too cool to be true.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Yes, it's a SLR Kit Carbonio Flow.

TimmS wrote:Just do it, after removing the original cover and padding the saddle is the same shape as the c64.
After putting a single layer of leather back on the weightsaving is about 20 gr.

It's not the same shape as c64, but very similar. The c64 is a bit wider (in the front area) and also the edges of the saddle are a bit different.

The saddle is now 114g :thumbup:

@SWijland:

Thanks!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Soon I'll have also a mould for a 34.9mm seatposts and I'll have most of the seatpost dimensions:
- 27.2mm
- 31.6mm
- 34.9mm

I'm working also on my frame project, also 2 more combos are in process,..anyway I'll keep you updated once I'll have some more time to finish those projects!

Just to let you know that I'm of course still working with carbon :mrgreen: . I also designed some new parts and I'm working on some experiments etc.,..Also experimented with the new materials that I get and I love them! Most probably I'll use them for all the new projects that I'll make. It will be of course a bit more expensive, but if I can improve anything, then I will :mrgreen:

I can make also any "stubby-combo" for some integrated frames. Just made one for a friend of mine before he cut the seatpost, and it can turn out really elegant and lightweight because the ISP can be longer.

Till then, happy new year to all! :beerchug:

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Berk wrote:Soon I'll have also a mould for a 34.9mm seatposts and I'll have most of the seatpost dimensions:
- 27.2mm
- 31.6mm
- 34.9mm

I'm working also on my frame project, also 2 more combos are in process,..anyway I'll keep you updated once I'll have some more time to finish those projects!

Just to let you know that I'm of course still working with carbon :mrgreen: . I also designed some new parts and I'm working on some experiments etc.,..Also experimented with the new materials that I get and I love them! Most probably I'll use them for all the new projects that I'll make. It will be of course a bit more expensive, but if I can improve anything, then I will :mrgreen:

I can make also any "stubby-combo" for some integrated frames. Just made one for a friend of mine before he cut the seatpost, and it can turn out really elegant and lightweight because the ISP can be longer.

Till then, happy new year to all! :beerchug:

Can you do a 31.6 post for an 85kg guy?

Love the SLR I use a striped and gel coated saddle... They are a great saddle.

Roeboe

by Roeboe

Can you show a pic of the stubby?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@sugarkane
Regarding the seatpost I didn't make them a lot because it's not really tested yet and I make them only for some friends who are prepared to ride something like that. From the structural view I don't like the mechanism for those lightweight seatposts - I already repaired quite a few AX and Schmolke seatposts because the small-tube that is in the seatpost damages the tube..hope you know what I mean.

@Roeboe
Unfortunately I didn't photographed it, but will get some photos,..otherwise it's a combo in 3K with SLR saddle shape. For clamping you have to use a standard seatpost clamp.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@Roeboe
Tought that I didn't made any photo, but I found one:

It's only 88g, probably lighter than a lightweight stubby :mrgreen: but you have to add the weight of a seatpost clamp.

It can be really light if you didn't cut the frame ISP before, because the stubby-combo can have a really low stubby tube.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

A combo built around the SLR would be pretty sweet ;)

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Just got my Berk combo in the mail for my Ruegamer. Took it out for a spin and can't believe how perfect it is. We dialed in the position and I'm as happy as I could be.

For the Crumpton WW build, I'll be going with the nano carbon. :twisted:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

sugarkane wrote:A combo built around the SLR would be pretty sweet ;)

I'm working on it :wink:...

gumgardner wrote:Just got my Berk combo in the mail for my Ruegamer. Took it out for a spin and can't believe how perfect it is. We dialed in the position and I'm as happy as I could be.

For the Crumpton WW build, I'll be going with the nano carbon. :twisted:

Glad to hear that :thumbup:
A combo with nano-technology should be even a bit lighter (around 7%) compared to an identical combo made with the "standard" materials that I use. Of course both are top-quality materials, only that the nano is even a bit improved and of course more expensive.