Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks! Sure, if we can help you just drop us an email info(a)berk-composites.com

Some new photos, a new look thanks to Sigmatex Group, their Sigmatex HT fabric:

...working on something :thumbup:

Tazzy

by Tazzy

Berk wrote:Thanks to all!

Just have a few more news, we are close to the production version of our shoe:

would wear those to work :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romalor

by romalor

mmh the laces are basic laces or laces like on giro empire ?

wojchiech

by wojchiech

Berk, can you hint if/when your saddles with sigmatex fabric will be available to order?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi,
they are already available, just don't yet on our website, if you are interested just drop me an email info(a)berk-composites.com

Sorry for my confusion, but what laces do the Empire shoes have?

fitty4

by fitty4

Berk wrote:
Sorry for my confusion, but what laces do the Empire shoes have?

Since i didn´t know either nor did i know what basic laces are, (still don´t) I did some searching and found out that the giro empire has microfiber laces

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

If I'm honest I have no idea what the laces are :) I can find out and will let you know

Otherwise for all the TT/Tri weightweenies, a new saddle prototype:

<95g saddle, with padding. Without it would be <85g
Last edited by Berk on Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grill

by Grill

I like the idea of the TT/Tri saddle, but this one is not going to work for most. The design you have is similar to the Spec TTS (Prologo, Selle Italia, Arione TT and lots of others use it) as it's flat with a long nose. The reason those type of saddles work is due to the amount of padding in the nose which yours does not have.

Perching on a saddle like the one above would probably be fine for half an hour max which would limit the market to 10 mile TT's and all but the shortest sprint triathlons. You're better off going the direction of Dash which is very comfortable despite its stiffness and lack of padding as it moves pressure to the sit bones instead of the perineum. It looks like you have the idea to support the sit bones a la Dash/Adamo/Cobb, but the nose is flat which means it will limit hip angle and make it very difficult for most to achieve said position.

My suggestion would be to go the way of the PRO Aerofuel and Bontrager Hilo to differentiate your product which would mean making the nose wider and having it curve down, but would allow you to retain the rest of the shape. This would make it a competitive offering in the TT and Tri market as it would certainly be much cheaper than Dash.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

I agree with you and also know a lot of people with similar experiences.
We also experiment with more padding, but first I would like to make sure the shape is good, also if without padding. But it is quie complicated to make a TT/Tri saddle for someone who is competing on Ironman (180km), the competition itself is not meant to be comfortable;)

When I raced (team Radenska, Slovenia) we only had SLR saddles that were cut at the front, now that isn't allowed anymore, but most of our team members felt great on those saddles, and it had almost no padding. It all depends in the end from each person. For example I can't ride the Adamo saddle, or better said I am not used to it.
Your opinions are more than welcome! We can try some more options, thank you

romalor

by romalor

Hello
the laces are specific no classic laces that will stretch , and they are not round but plate to create frictions

Grill

by Grill

Berk wrote:I agree with you and also know a lot of people with similar experiences.
We also experiment with more padding, but first I would like to make sure the shape is good, also if without padding. But it is quie complicated to make a TT/Tri saddle for someone who is competing on Ironman (180km), the competition itself is not meant to be comfortable;)

When I raced (team Radenska, Slovenia) we only had SLR saddles that were cut at the front, now that isn't allowed anymore, but most of our team members felt great on those saddles, and it had almost no padding. It all depends in the end from each person. For example I can't ride the Adamo saddle, or better said I am not used to it.
Your opinions are more than welcome! We can try some more options, thank you

If you simply have the nose curve down (like the Spec Romin), it would be infinitely more comfortable.

quattrings

by quattrings

Just read about your involvement in the making off the Viks carbon.
Always found it an interesting design but too damn heavy.
Have you had the chance of riding it, and how did you find it?

ps: or the people who don't know what Viks is

greetz,
Quattings

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi, yes we cooperate with Viks, great guys, also meet with them at Eurobike.
Unfortunately didn't rode with it, probably really not the lightest, but it looks great!

You can see our complete team on this photo :thumbup: (from left to right: Ales, another Ales, Andraz, and me)

Otherwise we are also testing our carbon rims only, just a cut of a prototype:

More news to come soon, I'll have to update you more frequently, very busy in the past few weeks, but working on many interesting projects :thumbup:

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

Berk wrote:
Otherwise we are also testing our carbon rims only, just a cut of a prototype:

More news to come soon, I'll have to update you more frequently, very busy in the past few weeks, but working on many interesting projects :thumbup:

Hopefully there will be sub-200g low profiled rims from Berk! Ax or Composite77's are beyond my budget… :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I have been having some trouble reaching Jure by email.
It seems my messages are bouncing back as undeliverable in the last week.
Jure, if you are reading this, please drop me a line.
Thanks,
-Stoli