Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi,
thanks to all for the compliments!

pitbull wrote:Read through all the pages :) amazing work :) are you planning some new products?

Yes I'm working on different projects, but unfortunately just too busy to make more progress on all of them.

At this moment I'm working hard on the carbon saddles with carbon saddle rails. I made some small changes based on some test resoults, the innegra layer (the white/black looking layer on the downside) won't be visible anymore, but will be in the inside/structure of the saddle. I already have some saddles in both dimensions - the 132mm and also the 150mm wide saddle. I'll make some photos tomorrow at my workshop. Still have to sort a few things and then I'll finally start selling them. Sorry that it took so long, on 3th April I'll get the last paper I need to officially start selling them, so it will be possible to order it after that date, I'll keep you updated!

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Berk, appreciate you are super busy, but do you make/can you make Sram Red Carbon Shifter Clamps (similar to the old BTP ones) that fit the 2013 'ergodynamic' models? I think you did some proto ones for weeracerweenie on here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sastre

by sastre

cool stuff there berk the biathlon rifle is amazing.
was wondering if you had seen Adam Hanson's custom carbon shoes and what might be the possibility's of you making something like them would love something like these custom paint job sub 150g

Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@stevec1975
Yes I really tried to make some, but didn't had proper moulds to make it. Would need to make metal moulds and then I might be able to make those clamps. But at this moment I didn't started with it yet because I would need to invest quite a lot for the tools and I'm not sure if there is enough demand to cover those costs?

@sastre
thanks! Yes I already saw it, I could make it, hopefully in the future, depends from my free time. I already play with the idea some time, to make just the carbon sole with the heel support and then make a leather cover and use shoelaces, similar like for example Giro Empire,..as I mentioned we had a leather company in our family and I might use some of this knowledge to make some shoes. But it would also be possible to make it like mr. Hansen did.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Made some photos at the company, the final layup has the innegra/carbon hybrid layer in the structure, so it's from both sides with the 3K plain carbon look.

Here two saddles, the one on the left is 150mm wide and the one on the right is 132mm.

The production started and I'll keep you updated as soon as I have some more news. We are also working on some other projects related to marine, some larger parts, if you're interested I can also post some photos as soon as we make some more progress. The company now officialy works, as I mentioned we made it together with a great friend of mine who also has knowledge and experiences with composites (worked 6 years for a Dutch company that worked with composites) and also has a PhD from Chemistry, the company is called Berk-Vehovar Composites LLC., and Berk is the trademark for bicycle components. I'm already teaching also my twin brother who will also help in the future, have to admit that I'm really happy about his skills, probably we have it a bit in our blood :thumbup:. Otherwise there is quite a lot of paper work, and I as the director have quite a lot of paper work, didn't imagined that there are so many papers, but I'm learning and it's always interesting to face with new challenges. We are in a larger workshop that we rent (204m/2) and till the end of this year we'll move again to another workshop that is right now in construction, so a lot of things are going on this year (besides I'm finishing my study I finally also started with the work more serious, like I always dreamed in the past few years). We are also working on carbon fiber repairs (all kind of repairs, from bicycle frames, hockey sticks, marine equipments,...all kind of composite repairs) and of course also our own products - at this moment mainly custom seatpost/saddle combos, and as mentioned also the carbon railed saddles etc.,... There are also companies that contacted us and we are working on some projects that aren't related to cycling. A webpage is also in process already some time (http://www.berk-composites.com) it will be only for bicycle parts with the brand "Berk", but we also work on custom projects...so that's it in a few words, fingers crossed that everything goes like planned, I'll for sure give my best!

Here just one more photo of a combo that was made a few days ago:

Once again thanks to everyone here, really appreciate your positive comments and I'm glad that I can share some of my stories with you! I will give my best to keep you updated also in the future. Probably a bit more from the industrial point of view. Still have a lot of things to share with you, but will write more about it later. Soon I'll also have some meetings in Italy etc., anyway, I'm really excited and very busy, but I'm glad that it is like that! As a 21 year old guy I belive that I have to move forward

dominikk

by dominikk

Keep on!

I just hope that you don't share company 50:50 with your friend ...
cause I saw a lot of fails because of that ...

One just have to be "boss", larger owner, ... whatever you name it,
one have to have more then 50 % ...
cause most friendships are not forever, like most of marriages are not :)
Riding Paniagua - The Future of cycling!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks, sure don't worry because of that.
There are for sure a lot of fails, and unfortunately people mostly knows only the bad stories. I just don't want to end in a "rat race" and I'm really happy that we started like we did, although it's a very risky time to start a company (the situatin in Slovenia isn't friendly to start a company at this moment) but I think that it's time to start with it and make a new step, and we will see what will the future bring. One of the biggest reasons why we started isn't because of my carbon saddles, but because other parts for other companies,..anyway, as we say in Slovenia, you have to jump in the water if you want to learn how to swim;)..

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Recently I'm experimenting with different saddle covers on my seatpost/saddle combo.

After a few different types of leather I came across an idea that I should use neoprene. Leather wasn't that durable (only lasted for around 2500km), and I don't like synthetic leather - if you already use synthetic fabrics then why not use something different.

So here is the saddle with neoprene cover. It's very light, adds only around 8-10g to the saddle. It's very durable and has an unique look for a bicycle saddle. It prevents slipping on the saddle and also adds some padding - the neoprene is 2,5mm thick. Here just a few quick photos (by the way, the bike has 6,3kg with Mavic Ksyrium SLR)

ph

by ph

Keep up the superb work. I have been reading this thread since the beginning. I enjoy your updates on many levels including the quality of the work, your rate of innovation and the maturity of your communication for someone so young and in a 2nd language. BTW thanks for the DT freehub I bought from you through the classifieds several years back.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thank you! And no problem, really appreciate your positive comments! In a few days I'll be able to show you some other projects that we're working on and right now, we are very busy with it and sometimes it might take a few days that I manage to answer back.

Here just one more combo with the 150mm wide saddle design (for 90kg rider)

Gotland

by Gotland

Hi!

Berk nice work :thumbup:

I have neopren socks when I running i the forest. When they get wet I feel them as slippery so only use it when it is really cold. But it mabye exist diffrent types of neopren. Fun to see you testing diffrent materials. Some softer rubber is probally the rigth why to go.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi,
thanks Gotland :thumbup:

For the neopren cover - a week ago I was at a company that provides those materials to Selle Italia. Basicly it was an interesting experience - my friend with who I work is a former professional canoer, and the used to put some neoprene in their boats. So we went to the company where they used to buy those materials, and after we discussed to possible options the owner of that company said that we should found the right materials, as long as then supply Selle Italia with their fabrics,...so we took a few different materials and will test them properly. Otherwise thanks for your opinion!

Otherwise recently we were very very busy with a project that isn't related to cycling - part of a carbon housing for a marine hydrogenerator:
Some parts are still missing etc., but just to give you an idea that we work also on other projects. We made the moulds based on a model that we get and of course also the final product..it's a great challenge to work also on other projects.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Berk wrote:Thanks for the compliments Lewis!

Right now the website is under construction, I already have all the moulds and already started with the work, at this moment I don't know exactly but it should be ready till the end of this month. It will be then possible to buy it on the webpage.
I'm really sorry that it always takes longer than I thought, there are alsways some delays (for example the Visa card for the company wasn't here in 3 days as promised, but in 10, etc.,..). But I'm working on it! Soon I'll also post some photos of the 150mm wide saddle.

Otherwise there are two dimensions, one is 132mm and the other is 150mm. I'll soon write more about it!

Otherwise two prototypes from JEC in Paris, Innegra Technologies LLC has them:

A lot of things are happening to me these days and as soon as I manage I'll write more about it to share the story with you. I'm really excited to really start with it, also had 2 exams this week for my university and it was one more reason why I didn't posted more updates, but on Monday I just have one more exam and after that I'll have more time and I'll completely concentrate on production and all the other work that has to be done.

By the way, here just a few more photos, from a custom project - a Ritchey carbon stem integrated to a Mcfk handlebar. The owner (fellow ww member) wanted that I cover it with 3K twill carbon and that the joint has a "Calfee-look", and with an integrated garmin mount:
Unfortunately we didn't weight it before so I don't know what was the weight of those original parts, but I guess it added some weight because that "calfee-looking" joint and one more layer on the stem.

And one more interesting news that I didn't shared yet with you! I changed/improved the technology of how I make the tubes for the seatpost/saddle combos, and it saves around 10% of the weight with the same/very similar properties. The process is a bit more complicated and takes more time to produce it, but the weight is even lower. I also had to construct some new metal moulds for that process. Here a new combo that I made with that process:

On the website there will be also more details about those custom combos. The price for a combo with the new tube process will cost 450eur, and a lot of options (different saddle shells, seatpost lenghts/diameter, finish, etc.,..), if anyone will be interested all the details must still be discussed per email. Anyway, I'm a bit in rush right now, as soon as possible I'll post more updates, thanks for your attention!

Hello Berk

Been enjoying riding the barstem combo.
Being already a stiff combo, I can now say that it's even stiffer and really enjoy the looks of it in the bike.
You can sprint on it and there isn't any flex on it.
Thanks
Nuno

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi Nuno, didn't noticed before your comment, I'm glad to hear that, thanks!

Otherwise some more news, the saddles are finally in production. There are two widths - 132mm and 150mm.

The weight for the 132mm saddle without padding is 65g (for max. 80kg rider), a few more grams for +80kg.

With 3K plain or UD look (matte or gloss). On the photo an UD saddle with matte finish:

And also with padding - it's a special lightweight padding, we have it with 1mm and 3mm padding. On the photo is a saddle with 1mm padding and the weight is only 72g

As I probably already mentioned the price for the saddle is 285eur shipped, if anyone would be interested you can contact me info(a)berk-composites.com. Thank you for your attention!

I'll give my best to write more updates, recently I just didn't had the time to keep you more updated, I rather go on my bike instead on my computer, you know how it is :thumbup:

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I can see these fast becoming a WW classic essential item!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com