Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Today I made some more work for the internal routing. First I had to in-laminate the small tubes for the instalation...and there are aslo some small changes. Instead of the plastic small tubes I get some ALU small tubes and rather use those ALU :thumbup:... The plastic one are only 0.8g/m lighter.

And some more carbon work...I made some more reinforcements in the inside of the tubes, also with some hybrid carbon/kevlar fibres. First I glued the small tubes in the inside and then I made the carbon work. I used some pressure to press the fabric to the walls of the tube...here just one quick photo just after I cut the pieces of fabric - you can see some UD carbon, hybrid carbon/kevlar and some BIAX -/+45 carbon.

Those pieces were only for the internal reinforcement for the small tubes and the cable stops..

As soon as I will make some more work I'll keep you updated. The next step will be gluing the front triangle... :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

USofChay

by USofChay

Hi,

Where are you putting the reinforcements, specifically?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Those on the photo were only for the cable stops from the inside, to keep the "end caps" and the small tubes on their place. Of course it was already glued before... In the areas where already are some holes are 3 more layers in the tube than on the other areas, and I anyway make some more work, to keep it really stiff. I'll hopefully post some more photos soon..

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Only 488g at this moment 8)

After I will glue the BB I will make some better photos.. Just can't wait that I glue all the tubes together! Of course still quite a lot of work to do on the surface, and of course I'll have to reinforce all the joints... But till now I'm really happy with the resoults - today I also made the carbon work for the new dropouts, this time even with a few layers of carbon/kevlar hybrid.. :thumbup:

P.S. on the left you can see the ALU small tube for the cable routing.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Please have this bike completely built, weighed, photographed and ridden by November 2011.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Yes I know :lol: ...but I just don't find enough time for the work.. I tought that I will make it till the start of the season :mrgreen: but it's hard to ride as a "pro" and study at the same time..and if I have some free time I prefer to spend the time with my girlfriend. I'm a lot abroad racing and also training, also this weekend I'll go abroad..that's just the way it is :mrgreen:. There is also another topic where will be a new frame made "From the fibre to the bike", and I think that he has the same "problems".. it's not that easy, and if you want to make it good you need quite a lot of time only to start with the work..and I spend quite a lot of time for other small projects (saddle/seatpost combo etc.,..), experimenting with the dropouts (only for a mould there are a few hours of work,)...

Now I will slowly finish with the education for the next two months and I'll finally have some more free time.. But I'll soon have also some new races, etc.,..the next stage race will be also with some famous names like Nibali, Sastre, Petacchi,..and I have to train...a lot...please forgive me that it takes sooo long :mrgreen:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi!
I just glued the tubes together and here just some quick photos :mrgreen: of course still A LOT of work to do. All the reinforcements, details,...but anyway, hope you like it!

Berk PROTO-TYPE 3
..still in process..

The geometry is custom made, I have quite short legs for my 185cm (my saddle heigh is 75.5cm) and I made a seatpost with 74 degree and a bit longer frame. The headtube is 73.5 degree. On my sponsor bike I have quite a lot of offset and a 130mm stem because I ride "L" frame, to have a good position (of course without spacers)...anyway, I was able to do a few changes on the geometry for a perfect fit!

As on photos the frame has only 754g. But still quite a lot of work to do on the joints etc.,..I'll also have to cut the seatpost etc.,..and I will integrate a saddle on the ISP :wink: so that it will be a 100% custom made frame.. I'm really interested how much it will weight at the end (also with the saddle,..)! I really hope that I'll soon manage to make some more progress, but first I have to train for the Tour of Slovenia..Thanks for watching, I'll keep you updated! :thumbup:

djconnel

by djconnel

Berk wrote:I will integrate a saddle on the ISP

That is extremely cool. Do that and you're a virtual lock for WW BOTY 2011 (or maybe 2012: I have no idea how you balance all of those things going on in your life.... ah! I know -- you didn't mention sleeping. That frees up a lot of time...)

BmanX

by BmanX

I agree that this bike with full integrated saddle is going to be amazing.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

BmanX wrote:I agree that this bike with full integrated saddle is going to be amazing.

djconnel wrote:
Berk wrote:I will integrate a saddle on the ISP

That is extremely cool. Do that and you're a virtual lock for WW BOTY 2011 (or maybe 2012: I have no idea how you balance all of those things going on in your life.... ah! I know -- you didn't mention sleeping. That frees up a lot of time...)

Thanks, I'm glad that you like it!
Don't worry, I sleep at least 9h per day, otherwise "I'm dead" :mrgreen:. But I'm really never bored...otherwise, in Slovenia we say "kdor hoče, ta zmore" - that means "if you want, you can" :thumbup:.

I'll make some better photos of the frame and after that some more carbon work to do..

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Just a few photos of the frame, the tubes are only glued together, I still have to reinforce the joints, make some more work on details, surface,...anyway, hope you like it:

As soon as I'll manage to do the carbon work I'll let you know.

I also have to decide how I'll finish the frame - graphics/paint, matte or gloss,..will see

JummsBikeStudio

by JummsBikeStudio

Amazing!! :shock:

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Looks great! :unbelievable:

Can't wait to see the finished product!
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

MARLON

by MARLON

Waxed/Matte finish with glossy black decals.
:thumbup:
BACK IN BLACK

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrIzoard

by MrIzoard

I am so impressed of this build!!!!!

Keep up your good work and race hard! :D

//Ulf L.