Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

hoggy

by hoggy

Hi Jure, have you thought about making something like the Barfly or fliploc Garmin mounts, by incorporating the mount with the stem faceplate.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99896&start=30

http://www.designcycles.net/products.htm

I just really like the idea of a less cluttered cockpit and think it would also be lighter than some other options

BTW Love your work :thumbup:

KWalker

by KWalker

Would it be possible to update your first post with PT3, PT4 and some of the other work you've done? I was trying to show a friend the evolution of your work, but its hard to go through all 62 pages in a sitting.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

BmanX wrote:Jure,

I will need a new 31.6 post and saddle combo for my new 29er project and wonder if you would ever think about bonding a carbon stem and bars together or doing your own design?

Yes I'll really have to make it..but somehow just didn't started yet with it.

@hoggy
There is a problem with those small parts because carbon isn't always the best for projects like these, but I can think about it (I also have a Garmin) and if I fing a good solution I'll let you know

@KWalker
Here they are:

PT2:
Those wheels had 4 broken spokes, and I developed a method how to repair them and of course also true them.. They're still on the road :thumbup: unforutnately not mine but anyway...so if there is anwho with a broken spoke of a LW, Mavic CCU, etc., I can repair it (!)

PT3:
With integrated saddle 8) when I look at it, I'm sure I'll make something like this again! But no adjustment possible, and as you can probably imagine I borrow my bike to some friends to try it :thumbup:

PT4:

With my combo (sorry for the bad photo quality):

Unfortunately, again, I don't own those wheels :mrgreen: I had the Ventoux's but had to sell them because financial status.

PT5: in process ;)

LeePaton

by LeePaton

Love the head tube joints.

steff

by steff

What a wonderfull job !
really : congratulations

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@LeePaton & steff

Thanks!! :beerchug:

Otherwise I have an interesting option...maybe I could make some moulds for a monocoque frame (!), first only for size 54 and 56. I'm already working on the design, that would be similar to PT5 (and/or PT4) only with a few changes in the joints etc., that would look even better and would of course also provide better weight/stiffness ratio. So I could offer a monocoque frame with custom layup, maybe even next year..?

First I thought that a custom geometry frame is the way to go, but after some more calculations it would probably make more sense to make it monocoque. Why? It wouldn't cost that much (the procedure - work) as a tube-to-tube frame, it would have better weight/stiffness ration and I could still make a custom layup, and also the design/shape of the frame could be a bit improved. I would make the front triangle and then glue it together with chainstays and seatstays. I could make an even cleaner looking frame and I'll think about it...I have almost all the equipment (in a few months I hope that I'll have all that I want..) to make it really professional, and of course also the materials that I use are the same as in some of our hi-tech companies that work with carbon...so, what do you think? Would it make sense to invest in the moulds and offer in the future a monocoque frame..? Any opinion really appreciated...I have a few friends who would be interested for a frame and maybe I could invest in the moulds and then slowly earn back for the moulds..I'll really have to think about it..As you probably know it's very expensive to make the moulds

Otherwise I'll soon have some new photos from PT5, but first I still have to do a few hours of sanding :mrgreen:

hoggy

by hoggy

[quote="Berk...I have a few friends who would be interested for a frame[/quote]

I think you would have more than a few friends looking for a bike. for starters you can add me to the list :thumbup:

NGMN

by NGMN

Berk, I thought I'd chime in on the molds v. tube to tube. I think it depends on what you want to do immediately and how you want to do it. Obviously down the road if you stick with it, there is no reason you couldn't do both.

I think the bespoke nature of tube to tube construction demands a higher price typically. It would allow you to do purely custom builds for anyone but fewer of them most likely.

Monocoque frames won't demand the same premium, and you'll be serving a smaller potential audience by only having 2 frame sizes. However, you would potentially be able to make more frames. But the frames you make will be less customized.

I think it would make sense to start with a tube to tube venture and down the line look in to getting molds when you could get a better range, like 52-58. But ultimately I'm a nobody. Maybe you should try reaching out to Nick Crumpton or the guys at Parlee or some other botique builders and see what they recommend.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@hoggy :beerchug:.

@NGMN
First of all you aren't nobody! I'm really happy to hear any opinion :thumbup:
Somehow I can't get out of my skin :mrgreen: and always want to make something new etc.,..a custom tube-to-tube frame is no longer "a real" challenge, so I'm slowly thinking to start with a monocoque frame...well, and I already started with it...already 9h of drawing in SolidWorks is done, but still A LOT of work to do. I'm working together with a friend of mine, who works also for some other big companies (mostly for moto industry and parts for Ducati, MV Agusta, BMW,..) and he is a real SolidWorks master. You can see some of his projects also on his Facebook page "GorjupDesign", he has also a website but it's still in process ( http://www.gorjupdesign.si/)...

Anyway, in case that I would start with a more serial production I would make also other sizes (also 52 and 58), wouldn't be a porblem once I have the complete version in SolidWorks. Also for the moulds I have a great chance to make them and I really want to start with a project like this. Some day I also want to make TT frame, but if I'm not able to make it monocoque then it just wouldn't make sense to start with a TT frame if you know what I mean...I think that it's good to keep on working on new projects/methods and keep on the R&D. I don't want to get passive.

After I finish PT5 I'll also see if there is anything at all that I would like to change in a custom frame, and if not, then I don't see any reason why not to keep those moulds and offer also a T-T-T frame if anybody would be interested. But there is a lot more work than for monocoque and of course the price would be also higher. A custom geometry isn't always "urgent", so I think that most riders are ok with some standard sized frames if you know what I mean. But anyway, I think that it's a good thing to start with a monocoque frame, and offer it together with a custom frame, maybe I start with it already next season if there would be some interes. But slowly, step by step, will have some more informations as soon as I finish some more projects, get a website etc.,..still a lot of work to do

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

The first sketch,..of course it's just a sketch and it won't look that drastic after some more work in SolidWorks, the design will be similar like on PT5, only that it will be monocoque and it will provide better weight/stiffness ratio..still A LOT of work to do, but it's already in process, just to let you know, my 2013 project :)

EDIT: unfortunately I remove that sketch because my friends from A2J contacted me to rather remove it because it seems to them that it's very similar to their design. Of course I don't copy them and from the sketch it was really hard to tell how it should look. I'm sorry and no offense meant, of course I don't copy them and I'm really sorry if I made any worries, but I respect them a lot and removed it :beerchug: . After I'll publish some more drawings from SolidWorks it will be clear that it's my own design that is based on my PT5 frame, just don't want to make worries because my work, hope you understand me and I'm really sorry for that. Soon I'll publish some new photos where it will be more clearly that I don't copy.

Otherwise soon I'll also have some more photos from PT5! Still some more sanding to do on the surface and it will be prepared for the clearcoat...I'll let you know as soon as I'll have some news!
Last edited by Berk on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BmanX

by BmanX

Jure, you never stop amazing me with all of the things that you do. That is a reason why I had to order on of your amazing works of art. I know there will be more to buy down the road because your attention to detail is tops. This is what the industry needs more of are people like you. Keep up the great work.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Wow, Jure. I think I may be in line for one of those frames as well. I can't wait to see this develop.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks for the compliments, I'm really glad to hear that you like it!

Today I managed to do some more work on my PT5 so hopefully I'll have some more photos in a few days.

Also the monocoque project is in process and will send some more photos soon.. ;)

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Some more photos, in process...still a lot of work to do! Already more than 20h of work, really precise work with A LOT of calculations.. As you can see I want to keep my minimalistic design and basicly it's very similar like PT5, only that the lines are even smoother:

Still a lot of work to do, I'll keep you updated! In the next few days I'll be very busy, also because my university, but I'll give my best to make some more progress in SolidWorks and on my PT5 frame

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

This thread helps me go through winter and keep the "spirit".

:beerchug: :beerchug: Great work, again, Berk.

Louis :)