Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MNX1024

by MNX1024

As a fellow weight weenie, what is the weight on that?!?!

Out of curiosity, ever thought of just producing the rims?

jooo

by jooo

dereksmalls wrote:Is it a wheel that could be used in a UCI race you think?

If they submit the wheels for UCI approval, I can't see why not as the spoke count and size is pretty normal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deek

by deek

Interesting. How do you tension the spokes? Probably a trade secret.

jooo

by jooo

I'm guessing you don't
Berk wrote:And because the monocoque structure the wheel is perfectly straight, as precise as the mould.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi,
thanks to all, I'm glad that you already like what you see, otherwise our aim is to make them UCI legal, the spoke count and size are within UCI requirements.

MNX1024 wrote:As a fellow weight weenie, what is the weight on that?!?!

Out of curiosity, ever thought of just producing the rims?

We will publish all the details as soon as both wheels are 100% finished, right now we are working on the rear wheel, basicly only waiting for the moulds..
Otherwise max. rim width is 25.4mm, and it is a 46.5mm deep rim. We could also produce the rims only, but first we will completely develop the monocoque wheelset.

Another product on which we are working are our shoes, at this moment also still just a prototype. I guess I already mentioned that project, but here just one photo of a prototype:
We made some changes from the time that photo was taken (the carbon heel is much lower, 1/2 lower than this one on the photo),..3 new prototype pairs already in production and we are quite close to the (in our opinion) perfect shoe, I'll keep you updated!

deek

by deek

jooo wrote:I'm guessing you don't

You could have a perfectly straight normal rim and build a wheel with zero spoke tension and it will suck. Thinking about it some more though, I guess that the carbon spokes can support some compression load unlike a conventional spoke (although carbon is as stiff in compression as it is in tension). You'll also have to worry about buckling.

I'm curious as to how it rides.

djconnel

by djconnel

First the saddle os simply gorgeous!!! Very tempting. I already have a Becker which I like for climbing, otherwise is definitely get one of these.

The old Spinergies had a problem of failing due to insufficient "spoke" tension so be careful there on the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Have a look at what Corima made with ther MCC models - no tension, just stronger spokes. We made various prototypes, also with tensioning the spokes (like LW, Madfiber, Mavic CCU,...) but the general idea and aim is to keep the product completely monocoque. So it's completely true, produced faster (less production time = better price for the customer). I'll for sure keep you updated, we made the spokes stronger than on the Corima MCC..

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Sounds awesome. What is the weight on the prototypes?

Martin1977

by Martin1977

but spokes of Corima MCC or Mavic R-Sys are round and in my eyes highly non-aerodynamic. This is reason why I don't want to buy any of these wheels. Are Your spokes also round or have they "better" and more aerodynamic profile? I'm sure that You will test the product well, untill You are satisfied with all of the properties, but I can remmember old LEW wheels with low spoke tension: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSCtEQ_uRrI
Do You have any idea about target price and weight of Your wheels? Do You also plan to make low profile wheels like Gipfelsturm?

I'm looking forward to see final wheelset !!!

I really like You bars/stem and seatpost/saddle combos. Great products !!!

Martin

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

very cool!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks to all!

I will keep secret all the details for now, next week we also have a meeting with a company that could provide us the hubs etc., so the weight depends also from the hubs of course.

Otherwise the spokes aren't round, but it has an oval/aero shape.
First we will finish that model, and later also my wish is to make a low profile wheel, but right now still working on the rear wheel...I will keep you updated as soon as we have more news

Also new shoe prototypes will be soon finished, I should have some photos soon

MNX1024

by MNX1024

May I ask what the is the internal width of the rim?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Thanks 46and2 (I'm guessing your a Tool fan) it looks amazing, and the disk cable guides and mounts look awesome

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com