Me too :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

pje0713 wrote:Gorgeous cutout saddle design. I would love one of these new ones in a 142mm size. Please keep us up to date on the prototypes!

I'm glad to hear that you like that design! It will look even better once it will be finished and of course with saddle rails. I really can't wait to get the moulds, especially the rear bridge should turn out really nice!

Otherwise most probably I will have to change a small detail on the mould, and will most probably make a new one. So it's no problem for me to make it a bit wider (+6mm on each side). I would go for 142mm, because personally I think that it's the best compromise. Any opinions are welcome! Also shouldn't add a lot of weight, and also visual it would turn out nice.

So I'll for sure keep on working on this project and will keep you updated! As soon as I have the first prototype saddles made I'll have to test them, and then I can offer them if anyone would be interested.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Looks good, can't wait to see the final product and weight.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

deermatt

by deermatt

Imaking20 wrote:^Agreed. A 142-143mm version would be very appealing! I'd love to be able to showcase some Berk work! I'm currently excluded no thanks to ISP :(

THIS ! 143 like the specialized toupe would be ideal for me.

nicrump

by nicrump

Berk wrote: because the large area that will be glued to the saddle shell there is no need for "step 3" (some more carbon work).

Fantastic!! Smart man on use of surface area. I'll take one in 143mm when they are ready!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Ok, I think that I'll go for ~142mm. Thanks for all your opinions, much appreciated!
I'll redesign the saddle with my friend "GorjupDesign", already talked with him and we'll make it. I already have to get some new moulds, or better said want to change a small detail on the mould taht I have (not the final product) so I'll just go for it...we'll redesign it most probably next week, so I guess I should have some first prototype saddles in mid-May, I'll for sure keep you updated.
And of course I already have the ~130mm saddle mould, and I'll experiment a bit with it. So I may test it until I get the new mould. The saddle rails will be the same for both models, because the design allows that. But I of course first need to get the moulds for the saddle rails,..anyway, I'll keep you updated about the progress :thumbup:

nicrump

by nicrump

second request, i'd hope the "nose" or "horn" width could be 40mm or less.

Grazie!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

On the area where the cut-out ends it's ~38mm (see the red line):

It's 40mm when it's measured 75mm from the start of the saddle nose (from the right side to the left, if you look at the picture above). If there are any more questions just let me know :thumbup:

AGW

by AGW

Shut up and take my money!

nicrump

by nicrump

AGW wrote:Shut up and take my money!

what this BI said!! :)

nicrump

by nicrump

Berk wrote:On the area where the cut-out ends it's ~38mm (see the red line):

It's 40mm when it's measured 75mm from the start of the saddle nose (from the right side to the left, if you look at the picture above). If there are any more questions just let me know :thumbup:

looks good to me.

KWalker

by KWalker

Any timeline for purchase or price info? I'd be interested.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

nicrump wrote:

what this BI said!! :)

:lol: :beerchug:

@KWalker
At this moment I can't promise yet anything because also I am waiting to get the moulds. But I'll give my best to make some more progress as soon as possible. I first want to test it etc., to provide that it will perform like it should. And then I'll have to calculate the work and costs etc.,.. I'll give my best to offer it for a good price!

Right now I'm experimenting and calculating how much should the saddle rails weight...I came across an idea that I could make the saddle rails hollow. How? With an ALU sole - a lightweight small tube, that would also help to hold some of the stress from the clamping mechanism. So the tube could be then wrapped with carbon, somehow like this:

Of course more carbon layers would be wrapped around the small tube, so the carbon wall would be 1,5mm thick + the ALU small tube in the centre.
The tube weights cca. 11g/1000mm, and I'll try to make it like that as soon as I get the mould for the saddle rails. Really interested how it would perform, and if there would be some weight savings. Based on my calculations I could save some weight like that, so it's for sure worth to at least try it. And I guess it would be something new, I didn't saw anything similar yet (?).
Otherwise I already made a new saddle shell, will put it out of the mould tomorrow, right now it's 2:10 in the morning here in Slovenia, and I know that if I put it out of the mould I'll want to trim it etc.,..but I also have to sleep :mrgreen: so I'll do it tomorrow and I'll keep you updated about this saddle project, I'm very excited about it. This morning I'll go to the company where they make me the moulds, to check if this time everything will work with the design of the saddle rails mould, that had a small failure and now it should be ok. It was redesigned on Friday, and fingers crossed that now it will be ok, I'll let you know!

hoggy

by hoggy

+2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com