Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2295 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1148 149 150 151 152 153 Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:20 am 

Berk's been a 'Carbon Cowboy' for quite a while now, IMO his moniker needs to be swapped for 'Carbon Ninja'. A monocoque wheel would indeed seem to be industry leading tech, so well done!

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:20 am 
  • berk composites Lupina carbon saddle padded (3mm foam and leather) 132mm round rails 7mm
  • 235 EUR
  • IN STOCK
  • Price includes 19% V.A.T. which will be deducted when goods are leaving the EU. Shipping costs may be added.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:07 pm 

Do you have any saddles that are similar in shape / fit as a Fizik aliante??

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:11 pm 

Curious to see more of those wheels!

Speaking of saddles, posted this beauty up in my thread but might be relevant to show it here too. More curved rear and a stunning 60,7g!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:21 pm 

Love the extra curve upwards at the tail and white Berk logo...

If and when I replace my Berk Lupina, that's just what I'll do!

Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:42 pm 
Carbon Cowboy

caballero wrote:

Hard to comment because I never used an Aliante, but our Hlod saddle seems the most similar to that saddle, but really hard to compare, maybe someone else has that saddle before our Hlod and maybe he could compare it?

Gullholm wrote:

Speaking of saddles, posted this beauty up in my thread but might be relevant to show it here too. More curved rear and a stunning 60,7g!

:beerchug:

kgibbo1868 wrote:
:beerchug: PLEASE tell us a bit more about this wheel!!!!! Rim depth, shape, and weight you expect would be great!!!! :thumbup:

We started with this project already a few years ago, here just two photo of the wheel just out of the mould, and a raw wheel after some sanding etc. and with a tubular tire on it:

The profile is 45mm, and a 24,5mm wide rim, here you can see the rim, which is hollow:

We developed the technology to make it in one piece, literally monocoque. No glue or any other step. Maybe we could really call it industry leading tech, a lot of knowledge is put into that product to make it till this stage. Still some more work to do. Here just another photo from my mobile phone, a few prototypes laying around:

Don't know if I mentioned, but my big love is also chemistry. I worked a lot as a pyrotechnic, working with all kind of chemistry, but I'm glad I rather quit with that and focused on the composite industry. The resin is a very important part of such product, so we are of course also working on our own resin. I know it will sound like bul**hit to some (well, every company that laminated a tube or rim claims that), but we are working on our own resin with a team, which includes also engineers from IJS Institute from Slovenia, and first samples were already sent for some lab testing, mostly to know how it would perform after a longer period of use. The resin is almost indestructible also on open fire. So it may take some more time, but we want to make it way better than anyone else ever did. And of course lighter. I'll keep you updated about that project, as a Carbon cowboy or anyhow you like it :lol: sorry for those bad photo quality, will upload some better photos in the future..

info(a)berk-composites.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:25 am 

I don't think Carbon Cowboy has the same ring to it as Berk but I suppose it works ;) Cool project indeed and definitely some progress to be made with future resins. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:36 pm 
Carbon Cowboy

Thanks!

A new saddle model will be soon available, on request we can already produce it, just drop us an email if anyone interested.

Basicly it is our Lupina saddle, only with some leather inserts in a special groove (only for black we use leather, for any other colour it is a synthetic material that replicates leather).
It adds some grip compared to our full carbon Lupina saddle.

Here is one for a Cipollini with their Italian paintjob :thumbup:
The carbon shell is raw/matte, some polishing to do and it will be perfect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:31 am 

That cipo saddle is amazing. Whats the weight compared to a bare saddle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:23 pm 
Carbon Cowboy

Thanks!
The weight for such saddle is <75g with round 7mm saddle rails

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:33 pm 

@Berk,
I'm curious to know how you can have the wheels perfectly aligned, true and round after the moulding process, the machining of the hub "internal" parts, etc...
And what will be the final wheelset weight ?

Louis :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:49 pm 

Berk wrote:
caballero wrote:

Hard to comment because I never used an Aliante, but our Hlod saddle seems the most similar to that saddle, but really hard to compare, maybe someone else has that saddle before our Hlod and maybe he could compare it?

Gullholm wrote:

kgibbo1868 wrote:
:beerchug: PLEASE tell us a bit more about this wheel!!!!! Rim depth, shape, and weight you expect would be great!!!! :thumbup:

We started with this project already a few years ago, here just two photo of the wheel just out of the mould, and a raw wheel after some sanding etc. and with a tubular tire on it:

The profile is 45mm, and a 24,5mm wide rim, here you can see the rim, which is hollow:

We developed the technology to make it in one piece, literally monocoque. No glue or any other step. Maybe we could really call it industry leading tech, a lot of knowledge is put into that product to make it till this stage. Still some more work to do. Here just another photo from my mobile phone, a few prototypes laying around:

Don't know if I mentioned, but my big love is also chemistry. I worked a lot as a pyrotechnic, working with all kind of chemistry, but I'm glad I rather quit with that and focused on the composite industry. The resin is a very important part of such product, so we are of course also working on our own resin. I know it will sound like bul**hit to some (well, every company that laminated a tube or rim claims that), but we are working on our own resin with a team, which includes also engineers from IJS Institute from Slovenia, and first samples were already sent for some lab testing, mostly to know how it would perform after a longer period of use. The resin is almost indestructible also on open fire. So it may take some more time, but we want to make it way better than anyone else ever did. And of course lighter. I'll keep you updated about that project, as a Carbon cowboy or anyhow you like it :lol: sorry for those bad photo quality, will upload some better photos in the future..

Hi Berk,

What's the weight do expect from these wheels?
Light as Oby or lighter? If lighter than oby 1 wheelset will be for me.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:01 pm 

Those wheels must be quite the project. Looks similar conceptually to the Mad Fibers? I have been saving up to get a pair of Shamal Mille's for my Zero7 but those wheels would match the 7's aesthetic very well, if you can make the braking as good as alloy...

Love the white insert saddle, might be hitting you up for another saddle once I build my commuter! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:02 am 

Fluoro7 wrote:
Those wheels must be quite the project. Looks similar conceptually to the Mad Fibers? I have been saving up to get a pair of Shamal Mille's for my Zero7 but those wheels would match the 7's aesthetic very well, if you can make the braking as good as alloy...

Love the white insert saddle, might be hitting you up for another saddle once I build my commuter! :mrgreen:

I am wondering about how if the spokes are in tension?? Are you using the same method as Mad Fiber where the hub shell is pulled apart after the wheel is molded to create the spoke tension? Also, would these wheels be repairable if they are damaged? They look great, and I am keen to hear more about them!!! Have you had any out on the road for a test yet, and if so what are your first impressions?
Cheers!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:58 pm 
Carbon Cowboy

Hi to all,
unfortuantely I can't reveal more about our wheelset, the process is a secret and at this moment only I know the complete process.
It could be repaired also if a spoke would be damaged. For the weight it is still in process, but our aim is to make it a sub 1kg wheelset. We're working on our own rear hub at this moment. The front hub will also be made in-house of course.
I was in contact with quite a few hub manufacturers, but nobody suits our requests and we'll make it by our own. So some more time will be needed to finish all the tests etc., but it will be made as we want, reliable and lightweight of course.

Just a photo of some tuning for a protour athlete :thumbup:
19g vs. 81g

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:58 pm 
  • berk composites Lupina carbon saddle padded (3mm foam and leather) 132mm round rails 7mm
  • 235 EUR
  • IN STOCK
  • Price includes 19% V.A.T. which will be deducted when goods are leaving the EU. Shipping costs may be added.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:25 am 

That's gotta be Roglic right?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2295 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1148 149 150 151 152 153 Next