Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Omiar

by Omiar

Berk, you keep telling that making moulds in CNC is expensive. Have you thought of 3D printing them? You are not using an autoclave and a lot of heat to cure the epoxy, it should be a more than affordable substitute.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

I already used also 3D print in some cases, but it's not enough durable and is also not that precise. So I prefer ALU in every way. The moulds for a saddle won't be really that expensive, but anyway, I have to think about that as a 20 year old student :mrgreen:.

I could start with a wider saddle at the same time (I could afford it at this moment), but first I want to see how this will turn out,...a few hundret EUR isn't a lot when working on these projects, so I have to work step by step. It may happen for example that I'll have to change some details etc.,.. Especially the moulds for the saddle rails have to be metal because the manufacturing process. I'm quite careful and probably I mention it a bit too often that I have to think about the finances. I don't have to rush and rather wait a bit longer and invest in the moulds that they're made really like I want. It should look somehow like this:

dereksmalls wrote:Loving the new saddle design. I ride an SLR on the road and a 130 Toupe on the CX. I love both so something like this new design would be great.

Glad to hear that, thanks! Opinions regarding the saddle design are welcome. Perosnally my favourite saddle is an SLR Flow (with a hole in the centre), but I think that the hole should be larger, so I really can't wait to start with this project.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

That saddle looks excellent! As does the ultimate combo, of course.

I'm very eager to see the new saddle come to life!

sholiday

by sholiday

Berk, if I cut my seatpost of my Assos Goomah seatpost (non-standard shape) near the top o it would be long enough for me to use could you just add one of your hademade saddles tops to it and reinforce it so I can have a semi custom combo?
Parlee Z3 4.94kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101920
Wilier Cento Uno SL 5.52kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101957

jooo

by jooo

@sholiday - as long as you have enough length in your seatpost, I'm sure it would be very easy for Berk to make. Have you seen page 49? This combo was made for a Dogma:

Berk, will you be able to make a combo with your new saddle? Similar to this?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@Imaking20
Thanks, I also can't wait to start with this project!

@sholiday
Yes, I made a few combos like that (for Pinarello and Cervelo) where I used the original seatpost.

@jooo
Rather than bonding the saddle with saddle rails I would try to make some integrated rails if you know what I mean. It would look cleaner and would also save more weight compared to bond a saddle on saddle rails. Actually there is quite a lot of work to bond a saddle to the seatpost if it has saddle rails. It's somehow the same if I bond my own saddle shell to it. So that's why I didn't really made any more combos where the saddle is bonded to the seatpost with the original saddle rails.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Here some photos to show you how I'll most probably use that material:

Berk wrote:I calculated that it should have around 78g, but it's to early to confirm it. First I'll have to make a few prototype saddles and test them etc.,...

I'll most probably use also some new materials for this saddle - hybrid carbon / innegra s:

fletch62

by fletch62

Looks very promising Jure, especially if you do a wider version.
Had you considered connecting the saddle rails at the bridge/centre area?
Merak/Token do this with their x-wing saddle and i find it to be very comfortable.
The sides flex a fair amount which provides the comfort.
Just wondering if by putting the rails to the outside it will create a much stiffer/harsher saddle.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Jure have you figured out how to build a combo like your new cut out saddle?

I could be talked into a new combo if you could :mrgreen:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi,
the saddle design was in porcess for months, and it should perform well because every detail is exactly like I want. We'll see as soon as I make the first prototypes! It may happen that I get the moulds already next week, can't wait!

Otherwise once I have that saddle shell I'll experiment a bit - maybe I could make some integrated rails to make a combo with the same saddle shell. I don't want to bond a seatpost directly to the original saddle rails, but I could design something that would weigh less and also look cleaner (for example bonded to the rear bridge and the front of the saddle). I'll think about it for sure! Perosnally I prefer to have a saddle with cut out.

DanW

by DanW

It seems like you come up with something new and amazing nearly every week Jure! Your creative brain must be working over-time! :shock:

I really like the look of the gloss Twill saddle and UD matte seatpost combo, and of course the cut out saddles are very exciting. I think I will hold off on a saddle/ seatpost combo to see what the next few months bring in terms of developments :D

Just thinking out loud it would be great to come up with a light weight saddle/ seatpost combo which allows for some setback adjustment. A bit like the Selle Italia Monolink perhaps but lighter and more elegant? I would imagine it would end up too heavy to make it worthwhile but just an idea.

On a side note, how easy is it generally to repair cracks in carbon fibre frames around the seat clamp area (i.e. a split below the cut out slot from over tightened seat clamps)? I would imagine it is harder than say repairing damage mid way along a tube as you don't have an upper reference point and the repair goes over an area subject to presumably quite high stresses (not to mention needing a very smooth inner and outer surface for the seatpost and seatclamp). Is it as difficult as I think or just the same as any other frame repair?

Keep up the good work Jure! :beerchug:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks DanW!
It would be nice, Dash made an interesting system, but it would take some time to make it, and at this moment I have some other projects in process (the saddle with carbon saddle rails). And when I get the moulds (in the next few days) I'll first have to make some prototype products etc.,..practice makes perfect:

On the photo some of my failed/prototype/tested products,...and this is only one box :mrgreen: , I have 3 boxes like this...but unfortunately can't show you everything ;), there are also quite a lot moulds etc.,..

DanW wrote:On a side note, how easy is it generally to repair cracks in carbon fibre frames around the seat clamp area (i.e. a split below the cut out slot from over tightened seat clamps)?

It really depends from the damage, but in most cases it's more compley than just repairing a crack. But, of course, it can be repaired.

DanW

by DanW

Thanks for the reply Jure. The Dash approach isn't the prettiest which is where you have an opportunity :D

Actually, it must be pretty hard to figure out what is worth investing the time in (and obviously boxes of test products!) when there are quite a few light weight, quality options for most bike parts nowadays (for example lots of light, cheap saddles as already mentioned in this thread).

Really looking forward to seeing the finished saddles :beerchug:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

No problem at all! We'll see if I'll be able to make something new :)

I'm always looking for some new challenges and I learn a lot during different projects. I also meet new people, get some new great and also bad experiences etc.,.. Right now I spend a lot of my free time for studying aerodynamics, and while I'm learning I try to use that knowledge in my work...so I already made a lot of drawings etc.,...so there is really quite a lot of work, but I love it. The box is just one of the examples, then there is another box full of different prototype moulds and some more prototype products etc.,..maybe I'll post some more photos if you're interested.

Soon I'll get the moulds for my saddle project with carbon saddle rails, and there I'll get some new experiences etc.,..and as long as I can I'll work on it.

Somehow I would really like to offer my frames some day, I'll just stick with tube-to-tube. I know that I write a lot also about monocoque - I would love to try it, but somehow it's too expensive and I would rather stay "in my area", and that are custom parts. And right now I have an idea to make a light aero tube-to-tube frame, something similar to Scott Foil and frames like this (with similar tube shape), only with a bit more classy look,...well that's the thing thats in my mind in the past few weeks, but I usually don't share everything here. First because sometimes I just don't have enough time to be on my computer, and there are also a lot of ideas that I just try and then decide how I'll continue..so I'm always working on something, if I only don't have to study for my university. Only one more year left at my university and when I finish it I'll have some more time, and most probably work with carbon for my living, well hopefully, that would be a dream come true!
So what can I say, a lot of interesting things going at my age, if I'm honest I never even imagined that it will be someday something like this, but I'm happy that I can share some of my work with you and will for sure continue. Just some of my thoughts..hopefully it's not too much off topic if I write a bit of my personal experiences and thoughts.

Anyway, I just get a photo of the bike where "the ultimate combo" is used. <5kg :beerchug:

More photos: http://gato.pk0r.com/Bike.Smart.3.4/index.htm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Just me or is that rear derailleur the most idiotic looking bit on that bike... Im sure it has some aero advantage, but aesthetically speaking... not my cup of tea, VERY COOL otherwise! :beerchug:
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?