Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

krogec

by krogec

Berk wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:55 pm
looks top. Hope they are available soon, maybe even in upcoming spring... :thumbup:

zefs

by zefs

Hello what is the recommended torque for 7mm round rails on 2 bolt ritchey flex logic seatpost? Lupina padded
Can't wait to try this saddle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ride1970

by ride1970

Has anyone tried getting information direct from Jure/berk. Been trying on Facebook and it’s like getting blood from a stone. Repeated promises to get back to me then nothing. Whilst I appreciate people can be busy I haven’t been asking for chapter and verse from the bible.
Oh well

KarlC

by KarlC

ride1970 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:24 pm
Has anyone tried getting information direct from Jure/berk. Been trying on Facebook and it’s like getting blood from a stone. Repeated promises to get back to me then nothing. Whilst I appreciate people can be busy I haven’t been asking for chapter and verse from the bible.
Oh well
He replies to emails off thier web site daily or so.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Not always. Just got a problem with one of his saddles (I have 4 of them :) ), he has not responded for a while. But I'm patient.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

jever98

by jever98

Jure is great guy, good products, willing to go the extra mile. Unfortunately not on top of their communication. I was in the market for a frame, was considering him, but let it drop at some point when there were no responses. Wasn't confidence insipiring.

Sorry to have to say it, but it's important that Jure and colleagues also understand that if you're a distance selling company you have to manage your communication well.
----
No longer in the industry

ride1970

by ride1970

jever98 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:21 am
Jure is great guy, good products, willing to go the extra mile. Unfortunately not on top of their communication. I was in the market for a frame, was considering him, but let it drop at some point when there were no responses. Wasn't confidence insipiring.

Sorry to have to say it, but it's important that Jure and colleagues also understand that if you're a distance selling company you have to manage your communication well.
Very well said

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I've found that Jure typically replies in 1-2 days, depending upon when I send an email. I think this is pretty good for a smaller operation like his. I have had 2 issues, though both seemed to be caused by a faulty MCFK post, and he promptly addressed my issue. Maybe Jure should look into getting someone for customer service?
Last edited by tonytourist on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi to all,
apologies to all those who are waiting for some answers, giving our best to answer as soon as possible, in some cases it can also take a few days (if we have to travel abroad for meetings, etc., we are also just people and you can also get sick or on holidays, but always giving our best). I answered all the emails I had till today, if there was anything missed please just send us once again on info@berk-composites.com

If possible please on email, because on Facebook, Instagram or similar it's a total mess, thanks for your understanding! These days it really takes longer and your patience is much appreciated, we always take care and will give our best to answer and solve any problem as soon as possible. Thanks!

ride1970

by ride1970

Berk wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:26 am
Hi to all,
apologies to all those who are waiting for some answers, giving our best to answer as soon as possible, in some cases it can also take a few days (if we have to travel abroad for meetings, etc., we are also just people and you can also get sick or on holidays, but always giving our best). I answered all the emails I had till today, if there was anything missed please just send us once again on info@berk-composites.com

If possible please on email, because on Facebook, Instagram or similar it's a total mess, thanks for your understanding! These days it really takes longer and your patience is much appreciated, we always take care and will give our best to answer and solve any problem as soon as possible. Thanks!
But this isn’t really the case, this is just an excuse. After each message I have sent on Facebook someone has replied, firstly asking for my email address, then replying to apologise and assure me I will receive information. My latest reply is asking me to now email you.
Nah I won’t bother, I’m not jumping through hoops because you can’t be bothered to send an email like you’ve promised several times.
Like I have said in my last Facebook message, I would rather now look elsewhere.

TuplaO

by TuplaO

^What do you expect? It's a small company that does actual R&D while scaling their operation in the midst of growing demand. Even if CS was their main priority, there'd be problems with it.

If it was Specialized or Shimano or some other big company, you'd definitely have a point. With an operation like Berk, not so much. It's frustrating and 'wrong', but it comes with the territory. By the looks of it they're doing a fine job all things considered. There are plenty of examples of companies going under and/or turning into outright scams (yes, one their names begins with a C)...

IMHO, dealing with companies such as Berk always requires a different mindset than dealing with the big established players. As far as I'm concerned, Berk is doing us a favour by doing what he does (warts and all).

jever98

by jever98

TuplaO wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:33 am
^What do you expect? It's a small company that does actual R&D while scaling their operation in the midst of growing demand. Even if CS was their main priority, there'd be problems with it.

If it was Specialized or Shimano or some other big company, you'd definitely have a point. With an operation like Berk, not so much. It's frustrating and 'wrong', but it comes with the territory. By the looks of it they're doing a fine job all things considered. There are plenty of examples of companies going under and/or turning into outright scams (yes, one their names begins with a C)...

IMHO, dealing with companies such as Berk always requires a different mindset than dealing with the big established players. As far as I'm concerned, Berk is doing us a favour by doing what he does (warts and all).
Sure, understand the issues of a small business. However, it's not impossible to stay on top of your communication. Other small companies do it. You just have to prioritise it and keep at it.

Berk's products are high end. If I am about to sink >€4000 into a frameset and components, I want to know what I'm buying. If a CAD drawing is promised 3x but never delivered, then it's not confidence inspiring.

I'm not saying it to bash Jure, I like him and his crew a lot, rather to nudge him a bit.
----

TuplaO

by TuplaO

jever98, sounds to me tlike they're 'over-servicing', which inevitably leads to disappointment somewhere down the line. Smaller specialized operations often live from going above and beyond. However, after a certain point it may lead to the opposite outcome. Managing expectations is a good place to start.

It is indeed all in Jure's hands, and I think he'll get there. Certain operational boundaries become apparent only after you've crossed them, and the learning curve involved can be quite steep.

jever98

by jever98

@TuplaO: I wouldn't call this "over servicing". At one point I was running a business unit servicing North America for a while, at times between 2 people. We made it our priority to answer emails within 24 hours, but tried to avoid phone conversations, as they took very long on average. We mostly got good feedback and it was doable - but it took a while to institute and to keep at it. Not saying we did anything extraordinary, just that it's possible.

My point is more that if you don't provide reliable communication you don't build trust. With tools as simple as a gmail inbox and a simple tracking system you can easily see which emails remain unanswered and avoid disappointment and lost business.
----

thePrince

by thePrince

This is how you can tell a small business is on the right path...too much demand to be handled by the namesake founder alone.

Next step is finding a resource to handle the demand.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com