My Budget 1.7lb Bike Weight Loss. Thanks Weight Weenies!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mlchang

by mlchang

Your bike looks great.

Since you have totally revamped it, and it looks like you will be keeping it awhile...
I wonder if it would be possible to get the Easton fork painted to look like your old Trek fork, so that it matches the bike.

Not that it doesn't look great already.

runningDoc

by runningDoc

mlchang wrote:Your bike looks great.

Since you have totally revamped it, and it looks like you will be keeping it awhile...
I wonder if it would be possible to get the Easton fork painted to look like your old Trek fork, so that it matches the bike.

Not that it doesn't look great already.

Thats actually a great idea - you can actually buy the old decals from sellers on eBay, or I even heard that some guys can create decals from a digital picture.

But I still have the original fork and it always will be a possibility to sell off the old trek frame and fork. Also these 1" Easton EC90 SL forks seem to be a rarity (just last year you could find brand new ones around the $200 range) now even the used ones go for the $200 range - so it does have very high resale value as well as potential to switch over to another frame with a 1" steerer (maybe a vintage Massachusetts built merlin or some Colnago Steel :wink: )

I'm just going to ride this bike now and not do anything new... but I did mention vintage ti ....or colnago steel (now that may be a great reason to repaint the present carbon fork huh :twisted: )... hmmm...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wisgliebau

by wisgliebau

I was waiting until you posted pictures to comment on how well I thought this re-build was coming along. I adore your frame, and want to get my own older Trek to outfit with modified Record 10 and other weight-weenie components that won't break the bank. This turned out lovely. It's colorful but it is very soothing on the eyes, with just the right amount of balance between the colored components. Just ride the damn thing, now that you've got it to this point! I think you should be very happy with that weight and much more upgrading really would be overkill on the frame - it would be more cost effective to buy a new frame after a certain point.

Cheers!

-Gregory

EDIT: I just noticed that you are considering the possibility of selling the frame and fork. If so, I'd make that your next purchase on this build - If you continue upgrading, it is better to buy new parts to match a frame rather than vise-versa!

runningDoc

by runningDoc

I'm going on to my new build. I'm sad because after stripping down the current bike I finally got to weigh the frame.

The cane creek headset weighs in at 85g so actual weight of frame is 1,142.

I was really impressed how light this 11 year old frame is.

and actual weight of the easton fork:

But its time to move on with new and maybe 8) lighter endeavors.

I'll be selling off the old Trek frame and fork, and easton ec90 sl fork to offset (haha I use the word "offset" to calm my wife down to rationalize new bike purchases) my new build... but thats another thread for another introduction! :wink:

preview of the new build? here's a hint.. the company is located in the Garden State... and is known for its racing (especially cyclocross) bikes.

trustbran

by trustbran

Aloha, Great Thread! Looking Forward to the next build buddy!

Mahalo,
Brandon

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Was a cool build. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon