Gum's Latest Project...Ruegamer...final pics p19

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

gumgardner

by gumgardner

:noidea: I asked for something in the 800g range. It's hard with custom frames to give definitive weights, I know, but I was upset when I put it on the scale. Did edge increase the weight of their tubing when they became Enve? They seem to increase all of their other weights.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

prendrefeu wrote:No, the fork cover is just a cover that helps with aesthetics in using a fork with a traditional crown diameter to a head tube intended for integrated or semi-integrated fork use.

However, luck be told: there are headsets available which reduce from one size to another. I *think* either it's FSA or Crank Bros that offer headsets which allow 1.125" use in the lower bearing which would normall require 1.25" or 1.5" use. You may need to check into that though.

Best of luck! :thumbup:

Would this work? I'd probably still need the fork cover right?
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=86832&page=Alloy+Head+Tube+Reducer

Or this

http://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/532/41/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

I have no idea regarding weight increases, but custom is custom regardless. If I were paying top dollar for a completely custom build I would expect the builder to deliver on what they claimed they can build. A frame of that weight isn't difficult to accomplish regardless of tubing type and several manufacturers have made lighter for cheaper. I guess you can expect that seeing all the bad press Rue got for his/her shoddy work on quite a few projects.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Gum, why not go for a Parlee Z1? Parlee hits their mark like it's a dart game and they've got lasik eye treatments and are hopped up on ridalin.
Simplon Pavo? (might be too heavy for you though, and it's hard to acquire stateside)
McLaren-edition SL4? (might not be available yet...)
Cannondale EVO (after Carbolift) ?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Please, just go with a horizontal top tube! :smartass: :wink:

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Huh? No slope?

Anyways...Prendrefeu...at the price of the Z1 I could get a Spin Gato and it would weigh a couple hundred grams less. The problem with the Spin is the Looooonnnngggg wait, 1-2 years. :shock: the Z1 might be a better bike, but it's not as cool 8)

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Isn't the wait for SPIN frames in the U.S. more like forever, i.e., not available, or has SPIN changed its policy? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51742

Have you thought about an AX Lightness Alpha custom frame? Perhaps a chance to really exercise that communications with AX Lightness. And best of all, per http://www.ax-lightness.de/xist4c/web/A ... 22553_.htm, it is "Laterally stiff, yet vertically compliant".

gumgardner

by gumgardner

HammerTime2 wrote:Isn't the wait for SPIN frames in the U.S. more like forever, i.e., not available, or has SPIN changed its policy? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51742

Have you thought about an AX Lightness Alpha custom frame? Perhaps a chance to really exercise that communications with AX Lightness. And best of all, per http://www.ax-lightness.de/xist4c/web/A ... 22553_.htm, it is "Laterally stiff, yet vertically compliant".

I have a contact that could get me a SPIN if I wanted. The wait is more like 1-2 years.

As for the AX frame...no thanks. Ive heard they have halted production of certain things (ie frames) to concentrate on R&D. An odd way to go about business but it's their business. Btw the communications is definately getting better with ax. Either Dominik or Melanie are pretty quick to respond to inquiries.
Last edited by gumgardner on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

But what's the deal now on getting SPIN in the U.S.?

carbon2329

by carbon2329

That is nice you have a contact with Spin, but 1-2 years, WOW that is very interesting.

Are they that busy? Do thay have that many frames to do.

I wish I could get one. I have contacted them a couple of times over the last couple of years tying to get one, but no luck here in the U.S.

But if I get a contact in Europe to do it for me and it would be two years, that would be limiting.

They are great frames and definaty boutique and rare, but 2 years. AX would probably be faster(and that is saying something). I think you can get a custom Ferrari in about two years.

Sorry I don't mean to be negative, but even a Passoni is somehere between 4-8 months. I would be concerned that after a year-and-a-half it would be forgotton about, then it would be another 1-2 years. Thay are really catering to a unique and patient customer base.

Sorry to rant....Gum I know you have had to wait a lot for some of your parts and now dissapointed in the weight of your Rue, I would feel the same way.

I applaud your patience :beerchug: :thumbup:

I have had simailar issues, but when I hear 1-2 years for a frame I just have to :cry: .

I know you vote with you legs, and I do. I will get frames from elsewhere, but that is still a long time. Espesially when you can get a frame that is quite close to its weight for much less $$ and time.

Sorry if I am OT

gumgardner

by gumgardner

No I agree. The wait of 1-2 yrs is way too long. From what I was told though, the bikes are truly handmade and custom... Marc even makes the tubing! Honestly if I didn't have all of these components here I would get one and just wait. My problem is my TIME doesn't fit well so its causing me some pain, so I don't want to wait that long. I've given up on this season for a new bike, but I'll have one for the start of next year. I may also decide to just dismantle the Time and rebuild with the Ruegamer. Wouldnt be a bad bike to have for less than ideal biking weather :wink: The Time would be a nice bike to strip of it's paint and go raw. The carbon work is beautiful. But like I said, it wont work out for me unfortunately. I'll likely list it once the winter comes around.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I am ina similar position. I have a hole build of WW parts (mostly AX and some are on one of my current WW bikes, but other parts are on the wall....waiting for the appropriate frame, but I am having a difficult time figuring out which frame.

I too, am considering another Parlee (this time a Z5 sl, or ????????) I like the EVO's weight but not the paint, and the BH superlight looks ok, but who knows if it is even close to its claimed weight.

The spin would be great, but 1-2 years.. It would be great however :D

I hope you find the right frame at the weight you are looking for. All your parts definatly deserve a quality WW frame, that is for sure.

It's hard because we get too many "sneek-peeks" at superlights that "are coming out soon", so all we do is wait for the next superlight. I am trying not to, becasue then thats all you end up doing.

The rue would be a great winter/bad weather/trainer :D

KWalker

by KWalker

You posted the frame pic on Dec 14, 2010. Its July. Did it really take that long for you to weigh it? You could have gotten a refund (which you honestly should have gotten) and had a custom build underway by now.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Ruegamer was already out of business by then. (12/14/10)
http://tandemgeek.wordpress.com/2010/11 ... one-again/
"Again, it’s not a pleasant thread, but on Oct 24th, 2010 one of the folks who supported the business confirmed that Bre Ruegamer had decided to exit the frame building business."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

there has to be some legal way to get your money back. The builder did not deliver per their and the client's agreement. Its good that shady companies like this are out of business so that they can't continue to fleece thousands of dollars from people to not deliver the proper product.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike