My names Brandon!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bformanes

by bformanes

Hey Weenies,

My names Brandon I'm a junior cyclist in Philadelphia, PA, USA. I'm 5'6", previously a Clydesdale Cyclist topping out at 280lbs, down to 190lbs in a little over a year. Currently riding a SCOTT Speedster S30. Between my power and weight I completely trashed the Alex Race 28s to the point of no return and am currently riding a pair of Bontrager Race Lites with 25mm Gatorskins with tuffy tape inside since the winter is rolling in. My set up is around the 23-25 lb mark.... BUT, I'm looking at getting a SCOTT FOIL in April for my 18th birthday, hoping to get some ENVE wheels, and a PRO stem to round out the package to around a 15 lb set up. I realize this is by no means a weenies' set up, but will lose another 40 lbs by the end of 2012, and my goal is to win races with the best equipment possible, highest stiffness, least drag, and best weight possible. My speedster has been doing the trick, but its time to get faster. :)

See you all on the road

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Welcome Brandon! :welcome:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

:welcome: from a fellow junior, down under. Huge effort on the weight loss, keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Just need pics dude :wink:
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Hey Brandon! Cool story.
It would be cooler if you win races on a normal race bike. Not a bike that makes you (and your opponents) think that you wouldnt have won without it!
I've always preferedan understated bike at the race start,because youll see that guys with awesome bikes are more 'watched' than the others. If you attack they will follow you becayse theythink you ride as good as your bike is nice. Am not kidding!

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm being a dick... You should lose the pounds then buy the bike because your parts selection could be totally different.

Also at 5'6" I think a competitive weight is more like 120-130 not 150, so you should probably aim for that if you want to "win races."
Last edited by voodoojar on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

Welcome. Things have changed since I was a Junior, but I would recommend that you spend your money on race wheels before a bike. If you get a nice set if Hed or Zipp wheels and glue them up well with good tires, you will be able to keep racing those wheels for many years (I still have my first set of race wheels in my inventory).

artray

by artray

Nice one Brandon ,,,,hey if you can get a foil for your birthday go for it ,well done on the weight loss ,,,
artray

durkonion

by durkonion

Congrats on the weight loss! That's a pretty good amount you lost there. I see you're really enjoying this healthy lifestyle.

Just make sure to pick a good career and stay in school so you can afford all this stuff. Your wallet will lose as much weight as you did if you hang around us for too long.

TerribleCadence

by TerribleCadence

:welcome: Nice work on the weight loss :thumbup:

A Foil with ENVE'S @ 18, jealous! But remember it is all about the rider, so keep on top of your goals.

P.S - Show us your current ride!
FELT AR0 Now sold.
CAAD10 Force 22, Quarq, Ksyrium SLR
LOOK 695 Light, Force22, Zipp 303.

sastre

by sastre

:welcome:

hey brandon whats up. remember photos are a must :thumbup:

:beerchug:
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

All bikes are awesome, no matter the weight (well except for bents and the sort)
Welcome to the forum.
Pics of bike?

OT: Moving to Philly in June and can't wait! I loved riding around Manayunk with all its hills.

bformanes

by bformanes

This is me
Attachments
This is me guys  :)
This is me guys :)

bformanes

by bformanes

voodoojar wrote:I hope this doesn't sound like I'm being a dick... You should lose the pounds then buy the bike because your parts selection could be totally different.

Also at 5'6" I think a competitive weight is more like 120-130 not 150, so you should probably aim for that if you want to "win races."

I'm have a larger frame, and some extra upper body muscle. I'm hoping to get under 150, but at 190 I'm already at 23% body fat. At 150 I will be very skinny, and more than competitive. (Very large/powerful legs)

bformanes

by bformanes

TerribleCadence wrote::welcome: Nice work on the weight loss :thumbup:

A Foil with ENVE'S @ 18, jealous! But remember it is all about the rider, so keep on top of your goals.

P.S - Show us your current ride!

Lawsuits for broken ankles and a stolen carbon Giant OCR + working at a local shop that sells SCOTT = "ENVE" worthy equipment :) I'll post a pic of my ride in a few

bformanes

by bformanes

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Hey Brandon! Cool story.
It would be cooler if you win races on a normal race bike. Not a bike that makes you (and your opponents) think that you wouldnt have won without it!
I've always preferedan understated bike at the race start,because youll see that guys with awesome bikes are more 'watched' than the others. If you attack they will follow you becayse theythink you ride as good as your bike is nice. Am not kidding!

I completely agree, I put in a few solid performances on my Speedster, Betty, coming in 19th my first race after losing contact with the group in a first lap crash, and 5th in my second only due to running out of room in the final stretch. (Could've had it if I jumped just a 25m earlier!!)

The FOIL will be my "Cat 4 Upgrade + race weight" gift to myself. The wheels will be my mid-late season upgrade for my pursuit of the BAR.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com