2010 Neo Ultimate - 5.2Kg -- further updates

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

gandini

by gandini

This is one of the first 2010 Neo Exile Ultimate frames delivered and built up.
I previously rode a 2002 Giant TCR that weighed about 12.7lbs with some of the components that I have transferred to this frame. I took advantage of the new frame to get some new cranks (BB30), and a few other odds and ends. As the Giant had quite a sloping top tube, I like the more "traditional" geometry of the Ultimate with its almost horizontal toptube. The seat tube is 73.5deg, the headtube 73deg. This is a 58cm frame with 56.7cm top tube. The finish is matte UD carbon fiber.

With AX Lightness SRT42 wheels (built by Nico-thanks!)
Weight with Veloflex Extremes: 5.28Kg (11.7lbs)

With Edge 1.25 (built by Jason/FWB-thanks!)
Weight with Veloflex Carbons: 5.24Kg (11.55lbs)

Here's the build list, with weight (gms)

Frame: Neo Exile Ultimate (975)
Fork: Edge tapered 1.5” (340)
Headset FSA Orbit tapered (80)
Topcap/Expander Soul-Kozak/Extralight (12)
Bar/Stem: FSA Plasma Compact-sanded (397)
Crank Arms: THM Clavicula (420)
Chain Rings FibreLyte CF 41/51 (76)
Pedals: Speedplay X1 (150)
Saddle: AX Lightness Phoenix premium (55)
Alt. Saddle: Custom CF integrated (117)
Seatpost sleeve: (20)
Seat Post Clamp: New Ultimate (8)
Brake Levers: SRAM Red - sanded + BTP hoods (290)
Brakes: EE + Swisstop pads (190)
Shift/Brake Cables: Nokon (90)
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Red (150)
Chain: DuraAce 7900 (230)
Front Derailleur: DuraAce 7900 (66)
Front Wheel: M5, Sapim, Edge 25 (330)
Rear Wheel: Extralite, Sapim, Edge 25 (450)
Alt. Front: Tune Mig45, Sapim, AX Lightness SRT42 (390)
Alt. Rear: Extralite SX, Sapim, AX Lightness SRT42 (495)
Cassette: KCNC Alloy 11-23 (110)
Alt. cassette: Recon 11-23 (88)
Skewers: Tune AC14 (33)
Tires: Veloflex Carbon (580)
Alt. tires: Veloflex Extreme (450)
Rim glue (20)
Handlebar Tape: Forte CF vinyl (40)
Bottle Cage: Emporelli carbon (15)

Total (measured): 5240(5280)g 11.6lbs

New saddle:

Initial ride report (60mi): I hate to gush, but this is an *amazing* bike! I can't think of a better descriptor than taut. Stiff, but with all the "dampening" character of CF. The 1.5" headset and Edge fork make for a solid, tight front end. The rear is very stiff also--making for crisp shift and solid braking. The whole bike is direct, connected--no shimmy, flex, wobble, nothing.

Subsequent ride report: I rode it for the second time (only) at the Tour de Tucson (108mi) and it really is a fantastic bike. I have had many bikes, but the last bike I had was a Giant TCR from 2002 (one of the first frames in the US), and so my comparison group consists of older frames made from steel, titanium and old CF (including a Specialized Epic!)
So, the Neo is a state-of-the-art design and correspondingly rigid, solid, light, vibrant, tight. I'd say it's almost a perfect bike for riding--it's everything without being any one thing exclusively. The Edge fork is fantastic--just there and solid as a rock. The frame has the CF "deadening" feel, but not dead at all. It damps road vibrations, but a little "buzz" is still felt on rough roads. The BB is stiff, and the rear end is tight. No flex, but I'm not a jammer. It climbs wonderfully, and a did a few climbs out of the saddle--perfect. I also did a short steep sitting bottom gear climb--it tracked very well.
The build quality is very high. I showed it to Jason (Madcow) from FairWheel and he admired it, recognizing that it was certainly of the latest design and build quality.
The matte finish is certainly the bomb--there were a couple of matte bikes at the ride (among the 6000 bikes there!!) and it stood out with the ultra-stealth look.
Last edited by gandini on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 38 times in total.

JesseD

by JesseD

There is something really cool about that frame 8) I love the red headset :thumbup:

What does it weigh and where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking?

JD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

You chopped the drops!!!???

And where did you get that red Alien clamp?
Looks amazing - did you anodize it yourself?

gandini

by gandini

Yes, I have been running my Cinelli RAM bars with chopped drops--so I know how I use them (or not) and so...saved 20g or abouts (old skool WW - cut off everything you never use!)
The seat and post are just for the photo--I have my own integrated seat/post that I will be using (125g), but to your question--yes, I did the Alien in red myself to add a little red highlight theme to my bike when I used this combo. I won't be running so much red on this build, but there's enough on the FSA Plasma bars to need a little on the frame. The headset is a shaved FSA Orbit (1.5" of course) and I added the red ring just for bling.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

That is VERY clean looking, I like!

What are you waiting on to finish the build?

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

That bike already looks really cool, and nice personal mods also.
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

gandini

by gandini

Tinea Pedis wrote:..
What are you waiting on to finish the build?

Time :lol: I have everything I need, including the Parlee CF front derailleur clamp (!), and will hopefully make some progress this evening. I hoping for a shakedown ride on Saturday if possible, as I am heading over to the Tour de Tucson next weekend and it would be great to have the new bike there.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Ah yes, the most precious of elements.

Pull and all-nighter ala Uni days. Grab and expresso and go for a roll wired on zero sleep and caffeine!

You know you want to! :thumbup:

Raxel

by Raxel

Are they edge 1.25's you've been using or other wheelset?
And put the clavicula on it!

gandini

by gandini

The Edge 1.25s and the THMs will be going on tonight--for sure! The big deal is the shifter/brakes, of course--all that BS cabling, etc.

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

this is a beautiful piece of plastic - i absolutely love it! :thumbup:
gandini wrote:The big deal is the shifter/brakes, of course--all that BS cabling, etc.
that's always the annoying part of a bike build. i am definitely a hatchet man, no problem with screwing everything together - but i do hate thoe blo*dy details such as shortening cables etc. :noidea:
where'd'you get the frame from and how much did it cost? is it in the same price range as the exile frame?
My contribution to more beautiful roads: - old - / - new -

christian lk

by christian lk

getDaddy yo yo wrote:where'd'you the frame from and how much did it cost? is it in the same price range as the exile frame?

E-mail patrick from Neo-cyces on info@neo-cycles.com. He is awesome guy, and he will respond you very fast.

by the way nice bike

Jackalmiauleon

by Jackalmiauleon

Last edited by Jackalmiauleon on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
NO NUKES and visit my blog
http://ww-jackal.blogspot.com/

Krull

by Krull

i am eagerly looking forward to see the fully fitted bike. looks already very promising. the frame is awesome!

gandini

by gandini

Just posted the result of my overnight efforts.
Patrick is taking orders for a December production run (the frame is made by Carbotec in Shenzhen) Contact him as per the poster above--he's a great guy to work with. I suggest patience, but that's true for every situation, not just ordering a frame from overseas.
btw, the 1/5" headset is amazingly smooth and solid--perhaps its the larger diameter of the lower bearing, plus the shear size of the headtube and fork crown--can't wait to feel it out riding.

I just realized that back in Dec 2002, when I bought my Giant TCR frame it cost me $1400 with fork. I ended up putting a Easton fork on it ($500). So the Neo+Edge fork actually cost me less, and much less when inflation over that time is considered. Cool...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com