Trek Domane SLR Disc Project One (size 62cm)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

This bike has been a long time coming. You may have seen my various posts asking questions and seeking advice about this bike purchase. Ultimately, I decided that the endurance geometry and the comfort features of this bike will suit me well for what I wanted: a do-it-all type bike that I can be comfortable with for many years to come.

Here she is:

As you can see, this is a size 62cm in the regular endurance geometry, as opposed to the low slung RSL endurance option that is what the Trek-Segafredo guys use when they are on the Domane. In this size the bike has tall head tube at 24.5 cm. I had some concern that this would be more than I needed, but I took the leap of faith and I’m glad I did. The stack works well for me with my long torso and stiff hamstrings. It’s a very stable and comfortable ride.

Since it’s a project one build the spec is full Trek/Bontrager:

2018 Domane SLR Disc
size 62cm Endurance Geo
DA 9120 Hydro mechanical group
50/34 and 11/30
Aeolus 3 TLR wheelset
32mm Bontrager tires with tubes
Custom paint: carrera blue with deep dark blue accents and crystal white logo
Montrose pro saddle
Speedplay Zero with aftermarket oversized ti spindles
RXL cages
Flare R and Ion 800 RT running lights

Weight with all of the above is 17.6 lbs

I’ll post more observations and feedback below.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

First of all, I have a question about the wheels and would appreciate your input...

Less than two weeks after I took delivery of this bike, Trek released their new Bontrager Aeolus XXX wheels. When this happened, the trek shop (who helped me spec and order this bike) reached out to let me know that they want to take care of me by replacing the Aeolus 3 D3 TLR wheels with the newer one. That’s amazing service!

So, my question is: would you go with the Aeolus xxx 2 or 4 on this particular bike? Which depth would look best aesthetically?

I picked the Aeolus 3 because it wasn’t too deep or too shallow, and I think the size 35 mm depth is Goldilock’s “just right” on this tall head tube, non-aero bike. If you were me, would you go deeper to the 47mm or shallower to the 28mm?

I’m asking about aesthetics because I don’t think the performance differences between 2 vs 4 will make much difference to me.

sychen

by sychen

Wow.. That's an impressively long headtube.i would of guessed your height as over 200cm, but 193 is close enough.

I would go 47mm rims.. Aesthetically and performance wise.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

bullymad

by bullymad

sychen wrote:Wow.. That's an impressively long headtube.i would of guessed your height as over 200cm, but 193 is close enough.

Hi, great looking bike, I have the Domane Sl6 disc 2017 56cm with Vision Metron 40 Disc Ltd. I think the wheels look great but also think you wouldn't go wrong with slightly deeper ones either. I'm guessing because you may be changing the wheels you haven't ridden it yet? Image

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

bullymad wrote:
sychen wrote:Wow.. That's an impressively long headtube.i would of guessed your height as over 200cm, but 193 is close enough.

Hi, great looking bike, I have the Domane Sl6 disc 2017 56cm with Vision Metron 40 Disc Ltd. I think the wheels look great but also think you wouldn't go wrong with slightly deeper ones either. I'm guessing because you may be changing the wheels you haven't ridden it yet? Image

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
Hey. Your Domane looks nice. I like the black-white color scheme.

I have ridden it already, as much as possible since picking it up 3 weeks ago. It didn’t take long to know I’m going to really like the new geometry, but I’m still experimenting with the stem and spacer stack. I’m going to take my time with that. In the pics I have a -7 degree stem on 2 cm of spacers. That yields a saddle to bar drop of 3.5 cm. I’m pretty sure I won’t need or want it higher than that. If I slam this stem I get 5.5 cm of drop. I had it at that position for the first two weeks and was comfortable. I moved it up to see what that’s like. I could put a -17 degree stem on there with a smaller headset cap and get it down to 8 cm of saddle to bar drop if I wanted to, but I know that would be more than I can comfortably handle.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Nice build

How do you find the Dura Ace Rotors?
They get a mixed review on this website with some people reporting that the disc shape deforms.
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Squashednuts wrote:Nice build

How do you find the Dura Ace Rotors?
They get a mixed review on this website with some people reporting that the disc shape deforms.
So far no problems at all.

bencolem

by bencolem

SilentDrone wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:12 pm
I’m asking about aesthetics because I don’t think the performance differences between 2 vs 4 will make much difference to me.
The 2’s are designed for climbing, the 4’s for ‘all-round aero’. You need to make the decision based upon the riding you do. If you ride somewhere hilly and are always in the compact ring then get the 2’s. For pretty much any other circumstance you’d be better off with the 4’s. Weight difference is only 75g (1380g vs 1455g).

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

bencolem wrote:
SilentDrone wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:12 pm
The 2’s are designed for climbing, the 4’s for ‘all-round aero’. You need to make the decision based upon the riding you do. If you ride somewhere hilly and are always in the compact ring then get the 2’s. For pretty much any other circumstance you’d be better off with the 4’s. Weight difference is only 75g (1380g vs 1455g).
Thanks for the reply. I agree with your assessment of the performance differences. But I’ve decided that isn’t the criteria I’ll use for this choice. I’m trying to find the one that looks best on this particular bike, with it’s tall headtube and large frame.

fa63

by fa63

The 4s for sure. The 2s will look too shallow on that big frame.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Thanks for the comments, everyone! At the risk of seeming ungrateful I've decided not to follow your advice. :D I ordered the 2s today. I went to the shop and got to sample some 2s (but the rim brake version, not disc). I think they'll give me the look I want. At 28mm the 2s are the closest to the 3s I have on there now (35mm). The jump to 47mm is more than I want. On this bike, ironically enough, the 48mm deep wheels look smaller than the 28mm deep wheels in total diameter. The 47mm look a little bit unbalanced, imo. This will also save me 75 grams, so there's that too.

Pics to follow. It will take 7-10 days for me to get the wheels.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

I got the XXX wheels on there and have about 150 miles on them. They’re great! Stiff. Light. Aesthetically they look nice. About the same as the TLR 3 that I replaced. These are 28mm so it’s 7mm more shallow. These are slightly wider which I think will be good for running them with the 32mm tires I have on there now. Here’s a few pics:

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

By the way, I’m loving this carrera blue color...

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Beautiful lookind bike! It's nice to see a Domane SLR here as I have a similar vintage bike - a 2017 Trek Domane SLR-7 Disc. I've just started working on getting the weight down on it and while it will never be a super light bike it's really ended up being a pretty fast bike from my experiance.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com