Parlee Z5 ML

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

eigner

by eigner

Hammer lækker! :)
Vi skal da lufte vores parlee sammen en dag ;)
Opretter du den ikke på Cykelgalleri.dk? Vi er kun 3 Parlees derinde.
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Musiker

by Musiker

Im game for a ride someday.
Im not gonna create it at cykelgalleri.dk - Don't want to pay a dime just to show my bike of. Ill rather show it on the road :twisted:

Musiker

by Musiker

Ok Help needed, Ive googled endlessly without deciding what to do. So now I ask you guys!
Looking at my current build, what should I upgrade....

Code: Select all

Z5 ML (Incl bottle screws and bearings for headset)  921g Actual
Fork Edge 2.0                                       371g Uncut Actual
Sram Force (2010)                                     1363 Actual
Crankset BB30 Red                                  700g
Zipp 202 (2008)                                     1100
Speedplay Zeros
Seatpost Neo Exile                                   190 Actual
Seat Selle Italia SLR KIT Carbonio                   125   
Specialized S Works SL Handle Bar                    225 Actual
Stem FSA OS-99 110 mm                                 98g Actual
Spacers Carbon Spacerset UltraSpace BHP-35, set       13g (For all?)
Bottle Cages                                        2x40
Total:                                              6073g

I was about to get the new SRAM Red shifters and front+rear derailleur - to make the shifting all RED (hehe), but if I do that that cash (around €700-800) will go from what I want to spend the other upgrade I am considering, namely wheels...

For wheels I am totally in limbo and can't decide what would be a perfect upgrade of the Shimano WH-R601s I use as backup and trash wheels today.
I would like to get a set of wheels that ride as well as my 202's, but is better suited for everyday riding in all kinds of weather and on roads with lots of sharp debris.
I think it would have to be a set of clinchers - First of, every test indicate that clinchers roll better and secondly I don't always have extra pre-glued tubs ready and then I have to revert to my clinchers, which always is a downer in terms of ride quality and finally because I am starting to think it is a waste with all the tubs and glue I have to throw out because of cuts that can't be sealed with pitstop or whatever.
I have set myself a budget of €1800-2000 tops - So getting Zipp 303 carbon clinchers and RED is out of the question, even though that could be a first choice.

About me:
- I don't race, but I am starting to try and train a bit more structured
- Often train alone, but I also do ride in groups.
- Most riding is done in Windy Denmark (For france I keep my 202's)
- I'm 180cm tall and 62kgs
- Have no problems with flex in the Zipp 202's - So stiffness must be plenty good for me.

What wheels would make a big upgrade from my cheapish Shimano clinchers? Ideally something that would be up there with the Zipp's in feel, Is there something completly different on my parts list that I should consider upgrading?
Should I just say sod it and buy a set of Carbon clinchers like the 303s and keep the force shifting?
Edit:
LoL sometimes just writing gives you ideas.. Sorry for the spam..
But how would the DA9000 be compared to the 202s? Can you even compare?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-dura-ac ... lset-2013/

eigner

by eigner

By far the best set of "everyday" / all condition go to wheels where my Fulcrum Racing Zero clinchers. They are in every way race worthy, strong, aero and light. You have a fantastic pair of carbon wheels so get your self a fantastic pair of non-carbon wheels and you are all set.

You can get a pair of Racing zero clinchers for just €679! http://www.cycle-basar.de/Laufraeder/La ... dsatz.html
or add €10 for the Dark label version
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

Musiker

by Musiker

had not considered fulcrum.. phew there are so many options. do the freehub make as much noise as on their cheaper models. i hate this

Musiker

by Musiker

Well - with SRAM teasing about 11 speed - I won't upgrade to RED just now..
Still debating with my self if, what wheels would be a big enough upgrade so that I don't long for the Zipps every time don't use them..... I really have to try some of the options out in RL, lol...

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

You can drop 70+ grams in seatpost and handlebar for well under $500
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

Musiker

by Musiker

yeah seatpost is also on my list, a zero setback would fit me better (had the bike fittet earlier this year).. the handlebar im keeping for now i like it. dropping weight is not the primary goal, upping ride quality (better shifting better clincher wheels) is.

Musiker

by Musiker

Jumped the gun and got a set of Zipp 101's and a SL SPEED zero setback seatpost.
Can't find my weight.. So I am not able to tell weight atm.
The saddle have gone up and a bit forward and I got a spacer below my headset.. Was the result of a fitting session in february ( http://physioinnovation.dk ). I can really recommend physioinnovation - It shines through that he is a physiotherapist and he spent a lot of time examining my flexibilty, bone and muscle structure, before even getting me on the bike.. It learned me some new things about how my body is built. Luckily he did not have anything super bad to say about my pedalling or fit, but could still give me pointers to how I could improve my pedalling.

I am working on getting the spacer away again (trying to improve my flexibility), :lol: , but for now ,the setup match the drop I had before the saddle went up which is a tad more comfy than without the spacer.

Sorry for the lousy picture.

I like the Zipp 101's but I can feel that they are heavier to accelerate than the Zipp 202s , other than that I think I can feel that they are much more aero than my old shimano clinchers.. But its hard to say if its just because I know they are supposed to be more aero :lol:
I think the 202s will now mainly be used when I go climbing in the mountains.

Ps. Sorry for the lousy language, punctation etc.. I'm on a bad keyboard and really tired..

Musiker

by Musiker

So still riding the Z5 (closing in on 30000km)
Current setup:
Rebel 45 wheels (DT240 Hubs) GP5000s
Jagwire cabeling
Steel Speedplay Zero
Red22 mechanical
DZERO Red Crank
Zipp Stem and Seatpost
Selle Italia Carbonia
IMG_3278_clipped.jpg

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Still looking great in 2022.

Wish I could find one in my size without a Tall headtube.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Timeless bike, still on my wish list.