Eddy Merckx EMX-5 - 6.2kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jonolau

by jonolau

Hi everyone, these are pictures of my latest build, total weight 6.2kg. I could have shaved another 100gm if I ditched the RAM2 bars, but I opted for it as I really like the stiffness and confidence on climbs with a one-piece system.

I like the custom arm which my wrench made by hand to mount the Cateye, and finally integrated the Di2 junction box into the speedo arm. The whole system is very secure, looking sleek and neat.
Last edited by jonolau on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mt Faber isn't a myth ... anyone who climbs it at least five times and says it's a walk in the park is probably delusional!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g_doraz

by g_doraz

Sweet ride dude, very nice. The latest range of EMX bikes offers some of the best value for money around (...well at least here in aus) in my opinion. I particularly like the DA Carbon crankset (i think you'll get a few comments on this :mrgreen: )

Just wondering what wheels you have there...?
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Beautifully matched...... including the skully headlights! Nice touches on the brakes and cables too.

Congrats. Carbon wrap the battery and you are set.

If you get tired of this scheme, change the saddle and bar tape to red and you will still have a perfect match.

Wonderful wheel decals too.
Current Bikes: S-Works Venge 7.3kg
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Colnago Concept Art Deco CHDK 7/6.5kg
Collection: Team Ti Raleigh 753 Vintage Campy
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

jonolau

by jonolau

g_doraz - thank you for your kind comments. I've not had the opportunity or honour of trying out different bikes as I've just returned to serious riding after a 20 year hiatus. I started riding again earlier this year buying a second hand Scott alu with 105 gruppo, then progressed to a new OEM full carbon build with Ultegra 6700 gruppo within 2 months. The final kick with the EMX-5 Di2 came 1.5 months later after I was very certain that I was enjoying myself (enjoying is an understatement, the experience of riding again is exhilirating!) Having been used to riding old school Cro-Moly frames in my younger days, I could sense a difference with the Scott alu. Switching to a full carbon frame was a definite contrast. However, no words can describe shifting on climbs with Di2. My lust for riding is also further bolstered by the fact that I'm fortunate to join a sensible, humble and committed riding group. As for the DA 7800c cranks, I was extremely fortunate that someone was selling it off.

Discoverspeed - you know the culprit who'd put this whole build together from scratch :wink: By the way, I've seen the finished carbon wrap battery and the results are amazing. Gerald did a great job to painstakingly apply on the layers of carbon fibre matting. His dedication and tenacity also carried over to the 3M reflective decals for my wheels which were also applied by hand, taking him almost 3 hours to complete. Great minds think alike - I was just discusssing with Gerald about changing to red grip tape over a teh tarik yesterday morning as we sat out the rain. By the way, I just received a parcel from CRC 5 minutes ago ... :D Anyway, all that being said, I'm still fascinated by your Fascenario which can probably go lighter if you fill the tyres with helium!
Mt Faber isn't a myth ... anyone who climbs it at least five times and says it's a walk in the park is probably delusional!

StefanR

by StefanR

super race machine, the spacer tower kills it.
diversity.....

""the sheeps get loud... when the wolf is gone....."" Juan Marquez

jonolau

by jonolau

I do agree about the spacer tower, but unfortunately form had to give way to function ...

micky

by micky

The DA carbon crankset is sexy!

jonolau

by jonolau

micky wrote:The DA carbon crankset is sexy!

Agreed, micky! I fell in love when I first saw it and had to get it.

However, only one other crank can push the envelope of lust ....

merkyworks

by merkyworks

really cool build, any way to get some more pics of that skull light/comp mount. that thing is awesome

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Wow it's a fantastic looking bike, I have owned one myself and loved it. Good luck using it.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

StefanR

by StefanR

yes, the Clavicula would look better, more elegant, the DA carbon crank set looks big and bulky on that small bike.
diversity.....

""the sheeps get loud... when the wolf is gone....."" Juan Marquez

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

I think it is just an optical illusion that the bike is small - high spacer tower, fat tubes, thin saddle. If the spacer tower is lowered (which I am sure jonolau will after he gets more comfortable - I mean the man just got back to cycling after 20 years) and the saddle is changed to a slightly more cushy comfortable one! The shifting offered by the DA7800c crank is very good with the Di2 grouppo.
Current Bikes: S-Works Venge 7.3kg
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Colnago Concept Art Deco CHDK 7/6.5kg
Collection: Team Ti Raleigh 753 Vintage Campy
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

jonolau

by jonolau

Discoverspeed wrote:I think it is just an optical illusion that the bike is small - high spacer tower, fat tubes, thin saddle. If the spacer tower is lowered (which I am sure jonolau will after he gets more comfortable - I mean the man just got back to cycling after 20 years) and the saddle is changed to a slightly more cushy comfortable one! The shifting offered by the DA7800c crank is very good with the Di2 grouppo.

Spot on. The bike looks much smaller in the photo. The Carbonio is actually one of the most comfortable I've ever sat on with the plus factor being the flex offered when pumping the pedals seated. The extra motion range seems to eliminate pressure points and leads to smoother and more consistent pedal strokes.

So far I'm very chuffed with the DA7800c as it's 172.5 which seems to give that little extra on climbs. I've had no issues on flats either.

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Awesome build.
I'm seriously considering becoming a Merckx dealer for 2011.
Oh, and the cranks are even more impressive in person.
Putting a set on my Cube when I finally build it up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jonolau

by jonolau

CippoForLife wrote:Awesome build.
I'm seriously considering becoming a Merckx dealer for 2011.
Oh, and the cranks are even more impressive in person.
Putting a set on my Cube when I finally build it up.

Good choice. The Eddy Merckx name itself conjures images of rich heritage, race innovation and handcrafted perfection. The tie-up with Pinarello melds the best of both worlds - innovative materials and top class finishing that handles with ease any abuse for all types of rides, plus classic geometry designed for ultimate performance. My only gripe is that the frame isn't Di2 ready.

That being said, the tipping point in selecting the EMX-5 as my current ride came from my LBS. His competency, innovation and patience convinced me to go with his recommendation and I've not looked back since.

Do post pictures of your Cube when it's done.