Definitely non-WW approved CX bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

helios

by helios

I'm a long time lurker, recently joined member, and I've got a new rig to introduce and try to shed some grams from. I got a smoking deal on a new cross bike - a 2009 *steel* frame Fisher Presidio. The frame isn't light, but I expect it to hold up so I'm cool with it, for now atleast :twisted: The frame and drivetrain are great, I love them, not looking to change anything right now really, with the exception of the chain. My beef is with the contact points. I know this is WW but I guess I'm really looking more for *reasonably light* DURABLE stuff that's going to dump some weight compared to the boat anchor stock stuff and hold up racing cross more or less every weekend from Sept-Jan.

Here's what I'm working with at the moment:
Frameset: 2009 Gary Fisher Presidio
Stem: **3T ARX Team//Specialized Pro Set//Ritchey WCS 4 Axis
Seat post: **3T Doric//Thompson Masterpiece
Brakes: TRP EuroX Magnesium
Bars: **FSA WingPro//3T ErgoSum Pro
FD: SRAM Rival
RD: SRAM Rival
Controls: SRAM Rival
Crank: Bontrager Race 46/38
Chain: Shimano 5600 (KMC x10SL gold?)
Cassette: Shimano 5600 11-27
Pedals: Crank Brothers EggBeater 3
Cables: **GORE Ride-On Professional//I-Links//Nokon (something sealed)
Wheels: Bontrager Race
Tires: Bontrager Jones CXR (dry) / Michelin Cyclocross Mud 2 (sloppy)
Saddle: Specialized Romin (Something similar but a bit softer and not so much kick at the rear?)

The brakes I've already swapped from some Avid Shortys to the TRP's so I'm good to go there. I'm looking for suggestions/feedback from those more knowledgable that on the stem, seatpost, cable and tires. What I've got listed are my inital thoughts on what to run, but if you've got experience with those parts or suggestions something that you think may be better I'd love to hear that too.

Also, does the KMC x10SL shed mud or gunk up any better/worse than the 105 chain? Wheels are not on the list of parts to be immediately replaced, but I may be looking into some cheapish bomber tubies, so if you've got a favorite, throw that out, too.

I don't have any pics of the bike yet, it's new and stock so it's a bit boring. When I can get some WW gear I'm get some pics.

Thanks in advance :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

schmiken

by schmiken

You're gonna get the most bang for your buck by changing wheels - maybe get two sets of tubulars, or two lightweight clincher sets? Dura Ace/Mavic Open Pro or something similar I'd reckon on.

limba

by limba

If you want to race you have to spend your money on tubular wheels.

helios

by helios