Argon18 E114 (new pic p.2)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Ladeira

by Ladeira

$mokey,

Pretty much all the pros that ive seen using the E-114 replaced the rear break.

The front break is pretty much the one that comes with it or another TRP "horizontal" style..

Just trhow in a Disc and go for it..

Last weeks Triathlon:

$mokeyJoe

by $mokeyJoe

I've already seen that. Now i know why they've changed the rear brake. I can't say why it doesn't brake that good. The cablehouse goes all the way from begin to end. So maybe it's the compression in the cablehouse. I could swap this for a Nokon/Alligator but i'm a bit worried when i need to change it and some pearls get stuck inside!
I can change the brakes but i would like to know why it does brake in the front and not so good in the rear. Changing brakes is not a problem as i've several different types of brakes laying down here somewhere.

Btw nice picture! :thumbup: A nice shot with the roller coaster in behind.
*Light is beautiful*
BMC SLC01 5900g ... Litespeed Vortex 6300g ... Merida Carbon Lite 7000g ... Velocite Selene 8000g ... Argon18 E114 +/-8500g ... Trek 1500 9500g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

$mokeyJoe

by $mokeyJoe

Ok, yesterday when i arrived home they had delivered a nice big box marked 'Xentis' on the outside... Juhuu!

First of all was quickquick open the box and aaah! Lovely wheels! They look at real much better than in pics. Yeah! Gotta mount them today and ride them as quick as possible. I swapped tires but imagined that i haven't any inner tubes with a valve of 60+ mm. So went to the LBS for 3pcs of inner tubes 80mm. Once home i began to swap parts. I just had to setup the brakes and some minor RD adjustments. Ok, clothing and helmet and ready i am.

I gotta say that i've mixed feelings. In a possitive way but i can't find any reason why i have this feeling. Let me clarify.
As they're full carbon wheels i would think that they're pretty stiff but every pothole or uneven surface on the asphalt was flattened with this wheels. Have in mind that i use the same inners(butyl) and outers(Ultremo R.1). Therefore i was riding some DA wheels. Those felt rather super stiff and uncomfortable against the Xentis.
I also feel that the wheels are a bit heavier than the DA but at the other side they feel faster and have a better forward rotation. Once they spin they keep spinning. I wouldn't use them in hilly TT's, that's for sure. There was also a bit of wind so it was good to test how much would this affect my rides. i was a bit worried about this as on the BMC with 38mm i sometimes i could feel the wind blowing. With the Xentis' i could feel the wind blowing on them but i've never felt uncomfortable. At the other side that 'sailing-effect' is remarkable. Maybe just in my head. The CF brake rim is also very impressive. I even dare to bet that it brakes better than the alu rim of the DA. And the sound...the sound is fantastic...whoosh,whoosh,whoosh...i hoped when changing gears it would also have that 'clack' 'clack' sound but this is rather muted.

I only did a 30km TT ride and when i got on the bike i already had a high level of BPM so i need some more rides and lower adrenaline to give a better description for these wheels, so when i've some more km's on them i'll come back. In the meantime i'm going to ride these as long as i can. Looking outside now doesn't make me really happy but i'm going to give them a try in the rain.

Here a pic of how they do look on the bike.

The're some components that i'll be changing in the near future. Just because i want them to be changed for some fancier components. Here's my wish list:

-Lightning cranks with CF aero spider and FL full aero rings
-Speedplays Ti
-Disc rear
-SRAM TT gear with DA FD and FL aero pulleys
-Lighter brake levers
-Cable optimalisation
-All Ti bolts
Last edited by $mokeyJoe on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Light is beautiful*
BMC SLC01 5900g ... Litespeed Vortex 6300g ... Merida Carbon Lite 7000g ... Velocite Selene 8000g ... Argon18 E114 +/-8500g ... Trek 1500 9500g

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Looks fantastic. Always loved those Xentis wheels but too expensive for me. ;)

kavitator

by kavitator

Awsome!! :thumbup:

BmanX

by BmanX

The bike looks great as is but if you are do the suggested changes, it is going to look sick. If you are going to buy the Speedplay Ti pedals new, really think about getting the SS version and upgrading the spindles to Ward Ti and order some aluminum plates and Ti bolts from Toronto Cycles and you can get a 122g pair of speedplay for almost the same price.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

tyio

by tyio

Hello :)

i'm currently building mine right now :). I have putting a single SRAM apex kit on it, but i'll enhance with rotor's crank and some carbon stuff later ;)

I have a little question about the cable. I'm looking for jagwire red kit, but, as the cables are internal, do you remember the total lenght i have to use ? Because don't know if i have to buy one or two package for braking's wire .

Thanks for the answer, and for putting your brake's solution !