Colnago Tecnos

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Kind of stumbled over this beautiful frame while looking for a new secondary bike besides my C60. After selling my former secondary bike, a Supersix, the initial plan was to replace it with an older Colnago lugged Carbon model, preferably Extreme Power or Extreme C. Since it's not that easy to get your hands on one of these in the size I needed, I extended the search for a steel model - to keep things short, this is the result and I want to share it with you :wink:

I have pretty much all parts together now and currently building up the bike for the new season. Due to my weak spot for steel bikes mixed up with modern components, this is exactly what I'm gonna do here. However my goal is to keep the classic look and give the frame the attention it deserves. Since it's off season here and everything is covered in snow, crappy cellphone shots from inside is all I can offer to you right now - will get better pictures from outside when it gets more springlike.

For now a list of parts that will go on the bike and a first shot of the frame itself with King SV threaded headset already installed:

Groupset: Campagnolo Chorus 11 from 2011 - just can't do anything with the current 4-arm Crank and the bulky rear derailleur
Seatpost and Stem: Deda Superleggero - imo both go very well with the thin steel tubes
Handlebar: Fizik Cyrano R1
Headset: Chris King 2nut SV
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Flow
Wheels: Campagnolo Zonda C17 with Challenge Strada Open Pro tires - tan sidewalls
Pedals: most likely Look Blade
Bottle Cages: yet have to decide Arundel Mandibles or Arundel Stainless

That's it for now, more to come!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Almost forgot, weight for frame only (size 60) with seatpost clamping bolt and bolts for bottle holders: 1965g
Weight for naked fork with 21cm steerer: 720g

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Build is going strong, here are a few teaser pics - the paint is just amazing in the sunlight :D Too bad it has a few chips. On the other hand I'm pretty happy with the condition, could definitely be worse.

Image Image

kgt

by kgt

So far... a. I would prefer a black quill stem. b. I would prefer a seatpost without logos or with minimal logos.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

the threaded headset does not look right with that stem :( If I were you, I'd either pick a quill stem, or modify the fork steerer to threadless.

Look565w

by Look565w

"Build is going strong, here are a few teaser pics - the paint is just amazing in the sunlight :D Too bad it has a few chips. On the other hand I'm pretty happy with the condition, could definitely be worse."

Nice find LorneMalvo, that purple does look lush out in the daylight :thumbup:

Maybe a silver/chrome colour stem???

Regardless, looking forward to the full build pictures!

Cheers

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

To my eyes it's crying for a sliver quill stem along with a silver alloy seapost. What size seatpost does it take natively (no shims or anything)?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Attermann

by Attermann

Those black brakes, this one cries for a Athena 11 speed silver group!

glepore

by glepore

I have a 96 technos in blue in the same pattern, owned it from new...

It needs a quill stem. Yours would look amazing with a grammo with the rainbow anno, or even a plain grammo, which is what I run. And a Campy aero post from that era.

Cages? Cicussi, King ti, or something stainless. NO carbon, please.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

rjaync

by rjaync

I'll be the naysayer. I quite like the look of old and new with the more modern components installed. It shows how classic and timeless the frameset is that with more modern parts it really could be new and from a modern boutique builder. Depends if it has to be a faithful reproduction of the era or a modern classic. The colour is amazing too. Bravo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

It seems like I could't hit the common taste so far :wink: But I think rjaync pretty much nailed it:
I quite like the look of old and new with the more modern components installed. It shows how classic and timeless the frameset is that with more modern parts it really could be new and from a modern boutique builder. Depends if it has to be a faithful reproduction of the era or a modern classic.

Since it's not my intention to build a true to original version of that era but rather to use this imo timeless frame and blend it with more modern components to let it shine in a new splendour. If my target had been to do this build in a more classic way, I just could have left it the way it was when I bought it because it actually was equipped with Campagnolo Record 8-speed groupset, 3T quill stem, Turbo saddle and Chorus aero seatpost. I hope you guys forgive me for the radical transformation :lol:

From a technical point of view I'm definitely aware of the fact that a quill stem adaptor with a shim to run the ahead stem isn't the best solution. In fact I hated to be limited in this case. But again it's not that easy and at the same time quite expensive to get hold of a non threaded precisa fork, even more to find one with the right amount of steerer tube. In any case I will continue with the search for one.

Anyway for my share I'm pretty happy with the overall look in its current stage and I'm pretty sure that at some point in the foreseeable future I'm gonna build this thing up the right way :wink: But at first some more pics:

Image Image

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

why don't you buy a black quill stem for oversized handlebars?

kgt

by kgt

LorneMalvo wrote:Since it's not my intention to build a true to original version of that era but rather to use this imo timeless frame and blend it with more modern components to let it shine in a new splendour.

What, some of us, say is that this retro-modern look that you want is a much more difficult task.
Right now your bike looks good but not great. The small details are those that will "let it shine in a new splendour". Not there yet. Take your time to carefully select the right components. You will enjoy it more... Just my two cents.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com