Velo Vie 300SE - "Budget" Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

geedawg

by geedawg

Posted briefly in the road section, but here is my finally completed Velo Vie Vitesse 300SE. The bike is everything I expected it to be after reading up on it on this board and elsewhere on the interwebs. . .stiff in the BB and headtube, sharp handling but still vertically compliant. Frame + fork came in 100 grams or so heavier than advertised at 1140 grams or so, but still reasonable.

Ended up costing about $3500 or so after all was said and done.

Here are the final build specs:

Velo Vie 300SE (50cm)
Shifters: SRAM Red Black
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Red Black
Front Derailleur: SRAM Red Black
Brakes: SRAM Red Black
Cranks: Zipp Vuma Quad w/ ceramic BB - 170mm
Rings: Rotor Q-Rings - 52/36
Chain: SRAM PC 1091 R
Cassette: SRAM Red Black 11-28
Wheelset: C-4 hubs, Kinlin 22mm rims, Sapim CX spokes, Veloplugs - 1294 grams
Tires: Schwalbe Ultremo R.1
Tubes: Challenge latex
Skewers: Far & Near titanium
Handlebar: FSA K Force Compact - 40cm
Stem: FSA OS-99 CSI - 100mm
Seatpost: FSA K Force Zero setback
Saddle: Fizik Arione CX carbon braided
Pedals: Speedplay Zero + Ward Industries titanium spindles
Cables: Alligator I-Link
Seatpost Collar: KCNC SC9
Various alloy parts (ie headset cap) and bolts from Purely Custom
Cages: 2 carbon cages from Velo Vie - 30 grams each
Tape: Fizik Microtex tape and plugs

14.04 lbs

Last edited by geedawg on Tue May 24, 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tibikeboy

by tibikeboy

I've always been very fond of the Velo Vie 300SE paint job. I think you did a great job with the color coordination; looks very classy. I think you should put the bike against a dark background to accentuate its paint job / reduce the bright lighting.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Well done!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

geedawg

by geedawg

Was able to take the bike out for some longer spins these last couple of days, and thought I'd just share some more ride impressions.

The Alligator I-Links are new to me, and for the most part, work pretty well. To me, no better or worse than standard Gore cables that come with SRAM Red when the Gore cables are new. However, a supposed advantage to the I-Links is the low maintenance required, and that they will feel "new" for a good long while. We'll see if this happens.

However, I do feel a noticable difference between the I-Links and Yokozuna Reaction cabling, at least on on the Red. The braking with the Yokozuna is more linear, whereas the I-Links feel a tad mushier. The shifiting with the Yokozuna is also just a touch faster, and requires a lighter touch.

Given the weight savings though, and the fact that I like the way the I-Links look, I'm satisfied with them and will continue to use them at least on the VV.

Coming from the ~1550 gram Zipp 404 CC, the 1290 gram wheelset + the lighter Ultremos feel absoluetely feathery, and this is espcially evident on the climbs. But on the flip side, the 22mm depth definitely feels slower than the Zipps. I don't think the Zipps increase my speed by 2 mph or anything drastic, but when riding the Cervelo with the 404's, it definitely "feels" faster, in the sense that it always feels like I have good legs on the ride. . .more effortless, if you will. Holding higher speeds is easier for longer amounts of time. I will say however that I don't feel that much of an aero difference between the 22mm wheels and the 32mm Reynolds MV32C's I used to ride. The DV46's I had def. felt faster than either the Kinlins or the 32C's, but the Zipps are on a totally different level. I guess I've been drinking the Zipp Kool-Aid.

The VV is definitely a stiff bike. I'm definitely not as sensitive to stiffness as a lot of you are on this board. . .I'm relatively lightweight (150lbs), not much of a sprinter, and prefer to tap out steady cadence while seated when climbing. That being said, the BB has absolutely no give no matter how hard I stamp on the pedals. The same can be said of the Cervelo though. Where I do notice the extra stiffness in the VV is up front, especially when climbing out of the saddle. The thing doesn't move at all. Not that I flex the Cervelo much either, but there is a noticeable difference. That being said, going from a flexy bar (Easton EC 90) to the Zipp SLC2 on the Cervelo helped a lot in that area too.

Some small things. . .I get less toe overlap with the VV. . .not a huge deal, but nice nonetheless. And I can actually fit Crud Road Racer fenders on the VV. . .no such luck on the Cervelo.

Overall, VERY HAPPY with the VV. Great ride at a fraction of the cost of my Cervelo, but with 90% of the performance. Couldn't recommend it more.

deltasierra

by deltasierra

Like. Nice job.

jhamlin38

by jhamlin38

If the brakes are mushy and the shifting isn't snappy-crisp, check the cables. you may have too many links or the liner may kinked somehow.
I upgraded a shimano bike, and two campy bikes from standard cables, after market cables to I-links, and the difference was amazing.
I'd recommend slightly greasing the outside of the small end of the housings.
otherwise, beautiful bike. i love the wheels.

USofChay

by USofChay

I like it a lot -- it just begs the question what constitutes a budget build?

Franklin

by Franklin

USofChay wrote:I like it a lot -- it just begs the question what constitutes a budget build?

Everyone has their own budget, but to call a list of parts with a grand sum of 3500$ a budget build? :unbelievable:

Oh and before I forget, the most important remark: Very nice bike :thumbup:

geedawg

by geedawg

Franklin wrote:
USofChay wrote:I like it a lot -- it just begs the question what constitutes a budget build?

Everyone has their own budget, but to call a list of parts with a grand sum of 3500$ a budget build? :unbelievable:

Haha, that's exactly what my wife said :oops:

$3,500 is a lot of money, but by WW standards, pretty "reasonable," especially for a 14lb bike IMO. . . 'Tis an expensive hobby, unfortunately :cry:

@jhamlin, Thanks for the tips! I'll take a closer look and see if I can make any improvements. Don't get me wrong, the I-Links work great. . .just not as great as the Yokozuna. To me, the Yokozuna are the benchmark when paired with SRAM.

What do you all think of the red vinyl sticker on the downtube (1/2 of the I Am Ted King logo)? Yay or nay? I like it, but I've been known to tend toward the gaudy. . .

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

For a sub 15lb bike I'd say $3500 is budget.

Sort of... :lol:

odin99

by odin99

$3500 is a pretty large budget - but reasonable for 14lb bike. only way to really get cheaper is buy lightly used parts off here.

micky

by micky

Indeed I was expecting a much more lower price buld but this looks stunning.

Roobay

by Roobay

great looking bike... but you could save weight and get well below 14 lbs
Bar tape use Deda
the seatpost is quite heavy and much to be saved.
But in the end the build got away with you and it ended up getting to $3500 :roll:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

geedawg

by geedawg

Thanks for all the replies!

I know we had the discussion not too long ago about matching parts vs lightest parts. . .and I went the matching parts route this time. I got a good deal on the FSA bits, which helped that decision. Could have definitely gone lighter even within the FSA bits (ie OS-99 stem), but thought that the K-Force kit matched the bike very well. Was def. thinking about an alternate seatpost, but it just matches so well that I think I'll keep it. I will def. cut the post though to save some weight.

Also going to throw the Extralite expander plug 2 in as well, and am contemplating the Lizardskins tape. Got to handle a sample, and must say, it feels nice. I like the way the Fizik tape looks and cleans. . .does the Lizardskins clean well?

sfo423

by sfo423

geedawg wrote:The VV is definitely a stiff bike. I'm definitely not as sensitive to stiffness as a lot of you are on this board. . .I'm relatively lightweight (150lbs), not much of a sprinter, and prefer to tap out steady cadence while seated when climbing. That being said, the BB has absolutely no give no matter how hard I stamp on the pedals. The same can be said of the Cervelo though. Where I do notice the extra stiffness in the VV is up front, especially when climbing out of the saddle. The thing doesn't move at all. Not that I flex the Cervelo much either, but there is a noticeable difference. That being said, going from a flexy bar (Easton EC 90) to the Zipp SLC2 on the Cervelo helped a lot in that area too.

Sounds as if its very stiff laterally; now about vertical compliance? I am looking at a 300R+ or 400R and am trying to gauge their product (although I know they are not the "same" frame).

I read a review where rider noted "similarities" to an Addict. Hmmmm......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com