She's Not Wasted! An Addict Emerges from Rehab (5235 gr.)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

great update! thanks.

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't get the I links working esp with the rear der.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Worstshot, yup, completely sold out to WWism by going with the Record. Forgot to mention that.
I wasn't sure so I put it on the scale (with everything except for Garmin computer and bottles. (stepwise since I only have a 5kg scale) [trick I learned from WS]

1259 grams: Rear wheel with everything mounted (with Red 11-27T cassette)
988 grams: Front wheel with everything mounted
3552 grams: Complete bike minus wheels

The major increases compared to last summer were +141 grams for the wheelset, +74 grams for the cassette.

Frankie, I'd be interested to know your iLinks + Power Cordz methods for the rear derailleur. Perhaps a tutorial on your Addict build page? Also what seat collar and size did you end up going with?
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I don't know what's better - your Addict or your pics in the "on the road" post!!!

Nice update and thanks for the pics and weights.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PIXELLUST

by PIXELLUST

What are you doing with the Arione? I want it haha.

craigtheduck

by craigtheduck

Great bike, great photos and I love your sense of humour.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Thanks for the support! Hopefully will clear up a few issues and upgrades during a mid-season tune-up.

@cl9k24la, some new, err... dirty drivetrain pictures posted on the front page.
My Cycling Blog

cl9k24la

by cl9k24la

Great bike John :thumbup: ...Would you ever consider replacing the pulley system with a Berner one...?

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Although I usually have long delays between upgrade posts and considering the fresh content, I'm excited to say that next week will be a special treat with lots of changes. Watch this space...

@PIXELLUST
I was going to hang on to the Arione because I like it so much but since I'll be moving soon, I may need to sell some bike gear. If you are interested, I'll but it on the FS board.

@cl9k24la
Yes, I looked into the Berner pulley upgrade. It was discussed quite a lot on this forum and the in-house WW physics guru, DJConnel, could only ascertain a small reduction in overall drivetrain efficiency - such that you'd have better performance if you cleaned and lubed your chain regularly. So it comes down to 8 euro vs. 450 euro. There are also reports that it's possible that the tight jockey wheel spacing can cause rare, but catastrophic problems. I'm guessing that SRAM's next generation may adopt the design and hopefully execute it well.
My Cycling Blog

jvanv8

by jvanv8

A few more changes this week. You can read the long-winded version here:
http://waywardcyclist.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/some-new-climbing-gear/

The main updates were:
- MCFK Saddle: 66 grams
- BTP Shifter Clamps
- Full set of iLinks
and the biggest change...
- Reynolds DV46T UL with Veloflex Extreme tubulars

Now around 5296 grams as pictured (without 105g Garmin, or water bottles)

(Because StefanR was making fun of my winter 2009 bar tape... although I was disappointed with the quality of the electrical tape I had on hand)

Fibre-Lyte chainrings on the way which I think save 35-50g.
That's all!
My Cycling Blog

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

100% solid!

How's the BTP-tuned SR11 FD working with your SRAM shifters? Was the set-up straightforward? What cables? My LBS is wary of breaking up my SRAM Red.

Thanks for the MCFK saddle pics and write-up. If it weren't so narrow versus my Sele San Marco Suoerleggera, I'd pull the trigger right now. Even so, I'm still thinking it over.

I think Martin at MCFK is a good guy. Maybe MCFK will be the modern equivalent of M2Racer or re-capture what AX-Lightness used to be?! (No disrespect meant for anyone or any company.)

giantdale

by giantdale

Amazing transformation, the bike just keeps looking better and better! Superb bartape finish! At this stage I suggest you should definately consider one piece saddle/post combination. Please, keep us up to date about the veloflex tubulars. I ride continental competition rear and podium tt front tubulars currently and would like to try the velofexes,I just don't want to flat too often...

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Thanks giantdale,
Actually, in lieu of your post, I updated the intro post with a more 'transformational' approach. Hope it's inspiring to some. Perhaps T.M.I. for others, but alas. :noidea:

Yes, I actually made an effort for the first time (ever) on the bar tape. Unfortunate I didn't have good quality electrical tape for the finish. It works all the same though. But the logos are almost completely aligned, so that's good... I guess.

One thing I noticed about the Veloflex Extreme tires is that they do not have as wide of a profile as the Ultremo R.1 clinchers. I didn't purchase them for that fact. It only dawned on me after I viewed the Veloflex tires mounted on the wheels at how aero they looked. I seem to remember reading a few tests that concluded that Reynolds wheels perform best (or "only") when used with a narrow profile tire. I'm probably not at the point where my time is dependent on tire profiles, but it was nice to discover that the combination looks promising.

@J.R. The BTP Record is just as good as the SRAM Force I had earlier. I'm still using Power Cordz with iLink Mini housing. The only major difference I've found is that the limit screws are very small and my multi-tool doesn't have a hex-wrench small enough, so I have to port along an extra from a Pedros Hex Wrench array tool kit.
Also, I agree that MCFK is up to something and independent enough to be on the frontier. I actually considered the MCFK seatpost (sorry, I'm drooling a bit) but the New Ultimate is fine and I can't justify the price right now. Plus, the weave on the saddle matches the New Ultimate beautifully and I was even considering a uni-directional post to match the black frame... True that AX has similar products and something to consider. I really wanted the AX wheelset for weight and uniqueness but without a crash-replacement policy and lack of presence in the US (oops, spoiler!), I went with Reynolds, again.
My Cycling Blog

PowerCordz
in the industry

by PowerCordz

jvanv8 wrote:
@J.R. The BTP Record is just as good as the SRAM Force I had earlier. I'm still using Power Cordz with iLink Mini housing. The only major difference I've found is that the limit screws are very small and my multi-tool doesn't have a hex-wrench small enough, so I have to port along an extra from a Pedros Hex Wrench array tool kit.

Hi jvanv8,

Matt with Power Cordz here. We appreciate the support and just want to say thanks. How are the cables treating you? How are they running on the iLink Mini housing?

matt@iodupont.com

http://www.powercordz.com
http://www.facebook.com/powercordz
http://www.twitter.com/powercordz

jvanv8

by jvanv8

I installed Fibre-Lyte chainrings about 2000 miles ago... a few "teeth tips" broke off one the first or second ride but that was it. So far so good

The Veloflex Extreme's just never held air, even when brand new. Veloflex sent me 2 new tires direct from the factory (new one's had little Italian flags on them) but they still lost 15 - 20 lbs of pressure per hour. I eventually gave up, threw all 7 tires in the dumpster and marched over to my local French bike shop waving a white flag. The only tubulars they had in stock were Zipps. They hold air for the length of a ride so I'm happy.

The MCFK saddle is actually even more comfortable now that I can only ride 1 or 2 days a week. It's noticeably soft and flexy at the start of the ride but don't notice the saddle very much after 30 minutes. This photo was taken during a 6 hour ride:
My Cycling Blog

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com