She's Not Wasted! An Addict Emerges from Rehab (5235 gr.)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

That's a healthy dose of quality upgrades, which you handily earned w/+40 century rides under your belt this year. Well done.

Like you, I'm riding Assaults. I'm eyeing lighter clinchers from Edge or Reynolds. How do your Assaults compare to your new, lighter DV46C UL set?

...unfortunately, the target for my own Addict keeps getting farther and farther away! You're making it tough on me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jvanv8

by jvanv8

The first thing I noticed the the DV46C UL was that they had a slightly hollow-er sound when riding. Going into the first corner, you could notice the weight difference as the bike felt like you could lean very easily and throw it around without much effort. The DT Swiss hub is (as expected) much louder - especially after the grease settles into the pawls after 500 km or so. I don't know if I like the additional hub sound... but it's a tremendous feature when I take the bike path for the final 5km of my ride when it's near dusk and I don't want to ride on the road. The freehub sound scares the crap out of the struggling and unbalanced rollerbladers and they give me a nice lane to pass. They are very stiff and although I've tried on 18% grades, I can't seem to flex them enough to touch the brake pads. (Perhaps another indication that I don't have much max power.. but oh well). The light weight produces more of a "free" feeling when riding and accelerate quicker. I did have 2 instances where the tire bead unseated a little... once causing a flat. Never had that problem with the Assaults but it could also be the fault of the tires (Ultremo R.1). If you already have the Assaults, ride them and enjoy them, and then upgrade when they start to show signs of problems or somebody wants to buy them off you. Both are great wheelsets.

Johnny I think you get major points for hunting down the MCFK stubby seatclamp from Germany. A fine upgrade from the Ritchey.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

worstshotever

by worstshotever

Sounds like you need to revise your subject line. You must be around 5700 grams now. That's light.

You are the century machine. Don't know how you do that kind of volume. I did my first about a month ago. It was brutally hot and humid, with about 6000 ft of ascents. I rarely ride longer than 40miles (360 furlongs!), so it was a tough change -- mainly on things other than my legs. But I did enjoy a nice hammy cramp around 85 miles in, so that slowed me down.

Anywho, I do hope you wear the appropriate gold grill on your rides to finish the effect of the chain / cassette.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

yo, goldz tha way ta roll, u no wat I sayin?
But, had some skipping with the cassette when in the 14T(?) sprinting in traffic.. ain't cool to miss a beat, ya dig? Once I wuz even around some ladiez when my ride made crazy soundz :oops:

I don't really think century rides mean much. I used to ride 40-45 miles and got really fast using that formula. I'm much slower now. Definitely don't ride everyday now so I make up for lost time/laziness.

Bummer about the cramps. Nice that you were able to push on. I bet you'd be cramp free next time around. A few months ago I got the worstcrampever while lying in bed - lasted at least 5 minutes. GF didn't know what to think (but probably thought to herself she needs to date a gym rat who at least has something to show for training time).

Also, this weenie bike will be moving soon to a different country.... keep an eye out!
My Cycling Blog

range
Shop Owner

by range

Nice Addict. I like the black look, it's stealthy.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

kenfucius

by kenfucius

I just picked up the same frame and was looking for something lighter than the SRAM Red cranks. Is there anything special that you had to do to get the Zipp's to work on the press in BB?

SEQUIPA

by SEQUIPA

And your Ec90 did the spindle loosen already?just found out mine did,im using the same frame as u and now looking for a new crank :(

"Is there anything special that you had to do to get the Zipp's to work on the press in BB?"

what crank are u using now?

jvanv8

by jvanv8

SEQUIPA wrote:And your Ec90 did the spindle loosen already?just found out mine did,im using the same frame as u and now looking for a new crank :(
"Is there anything special that you had to do to get the Zipp's to work on the press in BB?"
what crank are u using now?

I used the EC90 early in 2009. It broke in about 2-3 months. Replaced by the VumaQuad.
I was using the Zipp Vuma Quad for most of the year until September when the pedal insert delaminated from the carbon arm.
By that time, I had the warranty replacement EC90 and am using it as a 'stand-in' until replacing it again with the VumaQuad.
The second EC90 hasn't broken yet.

Mine is the standard BB Addict, so I just use standard VumaQuad BB with the Zipp crank and Dura-Ace with the EC90.
My Cycling Blog

SEQUIPA

by SEQUIPA

Thanks,mine is press fit BB and i had just installed Enduro BB,so now looking for something light and that has a 24mm spindle.

Johhny Bravo

by Johhny Bravo

zipp vumaquad, maybe?
i guess it's lighter than sram red cranks
Ride safe!
Eduardo
2011 Look 695 SR

SEQUIPA

by SEQUIPA

Johhny Bravo wrote:zipp vumaquad, maybe?
i guess it's lighter than sram red cranks

Zipp's spindle is 30mm :(

has to be 24mm

jvanv8

by jvanv8

?? I have the standard BB, not the press fit. So Zipp fits for me. Finally got it mounted again. So much nicer than the Dura-Ace BB that I was using with the temp Easton.
My Cycling Blog

StefanR

by StefanR

now get some Mavic CCU, then you have a light bike. :mrgreen: ah and fix the handle bar tape, superpro bike and ugly handle bar job.
diversity.....

""the sheeps get loud... when the wolf is gone....."" Juan Marquez

jvanv8

by jvanv8

It's been a while and I suppose I should post a little write-up on the parts and how they fared in the long-term.
SRAM Red (178g) vs Recon ALU (104g): Could never get the Recon to shift really well. Lots of skipping under power after 10 rides or so. Annoying, but more importantly, embarrassing in traffic / race situations.

Power Cordz (2 or 3 grams) vs Steel Cables: Power Cordz are just fantastic. Perhaps it's because I left soggy CZ, but the Power Cordz are now a year and a half old and still work great! Longest cableset I've ever owned.

Power Cordz (rear derailleur cable): Ok, this one never worked right. I hear that Frankie got his working well but I never did. I tried I-Link mini cables at first, then tried standard cables. Perhaps it's possible with 5mm end caps (the 1.2mm cables still seem larger than SS cables and tend to have friction on the cable ends). I don't know on this one. Standard cable with mini I-links is good, better if you use standard housing for the rear derailleur loop (last longer as the sheath on the i-links wears out) and I also got frustrated enough to move to standard housing under the bar tape, switching to I-Links afterwards with a barrel adjuster in-between. That's the best setup I've found so far (using SRAM Force still). Still searching for ways to incorporate more iLinks or the Power Cordz.

Vuma Quads: Great crankset. Probably just as maintenance free as Shimano, but lighter and actually spins well. I started thinking after 25,000 km that I should replace the ceramic bottom bracket so I found the only distributor in France and ordered one. Here's what they sent:
So I stayed with the old BB for another 8000 km. It's starting to make creepy sounds now. New BB on its way in the post, from Germany this time.

Vuma Quad Chainrings: I broke the 39T (while just riding along, honest. No really. 50 watts if that) so I had to source a new one quick. I found the distributor in France (see the Italian BB they sent above) and I was ready to go.
Image (One of these doesn't belong. Can you guess which?)
Only problem was that the bolts wouldn't thread into it. They only threaded from the opposite side, not the side they were suppose to thread from. I talked with customer service and tried to convince them I wasn't a noob who can't thread a bolt. Not sure if they were convinced. I did find a PDF of a Vuma CHRONO chainring from 2 years ago that actually did bolt from the opposite side, and was 39T, and looked just the same... oh well. I'm sending that to Indiana eventually.

Some upgrades:
SRAM Red rear derailleur:
Very nice, crisper shifting noticed right away. Outfitted with the XX-Light kit with some Alu bolts to make it lighter, but mostly it's the jockey wheels where the weight is lost. They seem to spin just as good as the stock ceramic Red jockey wheels and although the carbon fiber jockey wheels I once used are lighter, these are metal and last much longer. Plus, it's black. I also bought a dremel tool (well, Carrefour brand) just to get rid of the Lance Armstrong yellow bits. A few months later SRAM came out with the All-black groupset without the yellow. Ok. Where's the new SRAM?

Tune Komm-vor Saddle:
to replace the Fizik (advertised as 159 grams):
I guess I'm not a saddle snob. Most of the time I don't like a saddle on the first ride, then I like it. I figured I was good candidate for these uber-light saddles you see on certain cyclist's bikes who like to keep them as light as possible ("WW" is the term I overheard at the boulangerie but I'm not sure what it stands for). Anyway, I got this Tune saddle which had a wider birth than most "W.W." saddles. I tried it and it really only notice discomfort when I ride 500km (300 miles) in 3 days. But then again, I think I would anyway. The back end has a little vinyl (?) cover which is also hard. It gets warn out simply by propping my bike up against the wall to clean it. I haven't crashed with it yet. I plan to soon at an unforeseeable date.

BTP Campagnolo Record Front Derailleur:
to replace the SRAM Force:
I'm pretty sure I've fallen off the deep-end when I'm sourcing my parts directly from Bernhard. Nice guy though. It arrived, although it looked slightly used. I really don't care about such vane things so I just installed it. It works great.

BTP Anti-Schleck vs Dog Fang:
to replace the Dog Fang (11 grams for this dirty dog):
My major problem with the Dog Fang was that Scott stocked it with a massive screw and bolt. Very overkill. Very noticeable as you could see the bolt end protruding through the back.
Thankfully Bernhard came up with a great solution, funny name, and priced it well. Get yourself one, tell him I sent you.

BTP Shifter Clamps for SRAM:
Stock Sram Force:
These arrived and I really couldn't grasp the physics involved. They are simply carbon "hoops" or "rings" with an Alu bolt stud. I find it hard to figure out how they stay in place on the bars. Apparently you should add some carbon grip lubricant to them.. but still, it isn't going to add staying-power (in my mind). Also, the Ergonova bends are coarse (to prevent slippage of bar tape, shifters) but I can't slide it over that area. Some said to place the clamps in boiling water. Tried it. Some said to file down the carbon a little (didn't try it). I gave up at this point. Maybe I'll experiment later.

MCFK Seatpost Clamp:
I was excited about this (I thought I actually ordered the heavier 5g version, but this WW one arrived) but on the first ride I noticed my seatpost slipped (Scott Sports told me 34.9 was the size I needed) so that is what I ordered. The fact that the seat post kept slipping caused me to reposition the post 2 times... at which point the alu (I think they say it's Ti) bolt threads stripped. I replaced with a SS bolt. Still slipped. I tried to make a shim using a piece of hard plastic which I think would have worked but then the barrel nuts (also appeared to be Alu) stripped before my torq wrench hit 4nm. Sigh... wrong size? SS bolts? It's a great carbon clamp design. Back to stock.

All for now! (disregard the Easton cranks which were temporary until the Vuma Quad rings got resolved):
Last edited by jvanv8 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Cycling Blog

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

worstshotever

by worstshotever

Thanks for the update. Some nice equipment you've got there. You also know you've deep-ended yourself when you are mixing Campag and SRAM driveline components based on weight! And speaking of, any idea where she sits now compared to the 5960 of yesteryear?