Strangely enough, the cheap temporary front derailleur cable (while the housing compresses and the derailleur gets adjusted) got jammed in the Red shifter.
I removed the side panel but the head of the cable still would not release from the plastic red piece:
A bit gutsy, but I eventually decided to try and drill the tiny derailleur head. It actually worked out well and it provided good grip with pliers (which still was surprisingly hard to yank out).
Cleaned up the shifter guts (pristine now) and even smoothed out the plastic bits with the rotary tool in hopes it wouldn't happen again. Turns out, it could have been because the derailleur cable head on the cable was too big. My new toy is coming in handy to prove I'm not going crazy:
The cable at large, is enlarged:
Some other random shifter cable I had lying around (possibly KCNC DLC)
Regardless... all is well with the Powercord installed. Always a bit frightening when you break out the big power drill on bike gear when it's a game of millimeters.
Next up was the pedal ties which did not fit. Even with Herculean pressure nothing was going to clip into them. I could return them but the transatlantic shipping and return hassles got me thinking...
So with 3 pairs of Ti bowties, I figured I could try to machine (err... dremel) one bowtie to see if I could get it to work.
And it did! You'll notice the little groove in the bowtie (see previous post) is no longer visible as I increased the angle of the bevel. I also trimmed about 0.08mm off the thickness of the tie by sanding down the underside.
This is only my second project with a rotary tool (a cheap $25 Black & Decker) but it worked out well. Ironically the best fitting I had for manipulating titanium was the 80 grit wood sandpaper. I went through 2 in order to machine down 4 bowties:
The bowties got very hot during the sanding process (over 130 degrees C since water immediately boiled and evaporated when I poured it over the ties) so if you try it yourself in the DIY fashion with a rotary tool, have some water and even fire extinguisher nearby just in case... safety glasses and a filter mask are also a good idea.
Wheels, Tires, and Tubes:
Still not sure what will go best with this bike. The MadFibers were slated for it, but I've been riding them on the RC and really like the look and ride for it's purposes on that bike.
The other immediate option is the DV46T UL tubular wheelset.
So with MadFibers, these would be the tentative tubes of choice (Vredestein latex @ 49 grams)
For tubulars, there's this option for the rear -
Veloflex Carbon dated Apr 2012
And this for the front.... the last one standing from the 6 others that didn't hold air. Skeptical to say the least, but it is aged (about as much as an Extreme can be)! And I've currently got it stretching on the rim to see exactly how much air it leaks overnight.
Veloflex Extreme from Apr 2011:
Apart from tire gluing or clincher beading, all that's left is the bar tape and a little headset tweaking!