'09 Scott Addict R1 ... now sub 5.7kg @ 12.67lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

worstshotever

by worstshotever

Johnny Rad wrote:The Red brakes are also good stuff, but I just switched back from Yokozuna brake cables to OEM brake cables. It might've been an installation issue, but my brakes weren't springing back to the full open position.

I had the same problem with my Yokos and Campy Record caliper brakes (non-skeleton). Most noticeably the rear. Could have installed it wrong, but I got the feeling that the return spring tension on the Campy brakes simply wasn't powerful enough to push the heavy-duty Yoko brake housings back to center quickly. That said, I switched to KCNC CB-1s, and the problem appears to be solved (on the bike stand at least, as I still haven't finished my build).

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

> > > Big announcement: I'm sub 6kg!!! < < <

> > Grand Total (verified): 5993g / 13.2lbs < <

Challenge latex tubes just saved me 36g/pair over my Michelin A1 latex tubes. Hmm, very nice!

Whereas the diameter of the Michelin A1 latex tube is "oversized," it's quite the opposite with Challenge. The tighter fitting Challenge tubes made for a much simpler install. Ride report? They hold air, so I'm going to say they're "as advertised."

P.S. Next up, I'll try to jettison a quarter of a pound to hit 12.999lbs. What do I see in my crystal ball? Maybe a new brakeset with Powercordz brake cables. Probably a new DA7900 cassette, too. So many goodies. So little remaining $$$.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Tue May 03, 2016 3:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stats

by Stats

Very nice bike and a very well done thread...

The only disappointment for me was not knowing the final exact complete bike weight!!!???

pawnii

by pawnii

very very nice
2012 Scott Foil Premium

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Challenge Corsa Latex tubes are the real deal. Challenge > Michelin A1 Latex.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65948&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sticking with Swisstop Yellows despite the 17g weight penalty. Swisstop Yellows > Zipp Tangente

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58423&p=641878#p641878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sat May 07, 2016 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I need some "new math" to stay under 6kg.

I went back to Swisstop Yellows, which added 17g back to the bike. Trust me when I say it was the right move.

In search of some offsetting weight savings, I swapped out the Scott-branded dog fang chain catcher (15g) for a Far and Near chain catcher (6g). The swap netted me a tidy little 9g savings.

Overall, now I'm right at 6.001kg. Oh, the horror! Please don't make me change my signature. I'll look for another weight savings ASAP...
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Tue May 03, 2016 3:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

worstshotever

by worstshotever

Bring out the Dremel tool! I'm sure there's something you can nip or grind a gram or two off without compromising the piece.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Q: Where can you find free weight savings without resorting to a dremel?
A: Remove unnecessary components.

Exhibit 1 - Removal of headlight attachment from bar for 15g savings.

My sub-6kg Addict is once again "legal" at 5999.9g give or take a few tenths.

> > > > > > > >

Update: Far And Near Chain Catcher

I had to swap out the Far And Near chain catcher bolt for a longer one. The Far And Near bolt was only engaging the first 3 or 4 threads on the FD hanger, which was allowing the FD to twist under shifting. It took awhile to identify it as the culprit, but now I'm good to go.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71792&p=650130#p650130
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

a.davis12

by a.davis12

ffs son, take the packing tape off your brakes!
:p

now that thats done, nice bike and nice weight!

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

> > > Big announcement: I'm sub 13lbs!!! < < <

> > Grand Total Scott Addict R1 w/Reynolds Attacks (verified): 5779g / 12.74lbs < <

> > Grand Total Scott Addict R1 w/Reynolds Assaults (verified): 5888g / 12.98lbs < <

Swapped the DA7800 12x27 cassettes on both wheelsets for SRAM Red 1090 11x26 cassettes, saving an estimated 34g per wheelset.

Swapped the basic Jagwire brake cables for Alligator I-Link brake cables, saving an estimated 20g. This part gave my bike mechanic gray hairs! I owe him big for sticking with it. He apparently had issues getting the cable into my Red shifters, so he mixed and matched various cable parts to make it work to his satisfaction.

Swapped the Kestrel EMS Pro/SL 26.0x40cm bar (180g for this one and 173g for my previous) for a Schmolke 26.0x40cm (161g), saving a verified 19g.

Swapped the OEM SRAM Red shifter clamp bands (16g/ea) for a beautiful set from Tune / BTP (5g/ea), saving a verified 22g.

Swapped the Lizard Skins DSP tape for Lizard skins DSP Race tape, saving an estimated 2g. This has to be the most disappointing “upgrade” that I’ve made.

Swapped the OEM bolt (3g) on the cable guide under the BB for an Al bolt (2g), saving a massive and verified 1g. Thanks to mdeth1313 for that "one!"

Swapped the KMC X10SL silver chain for a gold one. No weight savings and it might be too over the top for me. We’ll see.

What’s awfully interesting is the verified weight difference of 109g between my Reynolds Assaults (46mm depth) and Attacks (32mm depth). The wheelsets have the same hubs, same tubes and same tires although those on the Attacks have 1-1.5K miles on them. Reynolds used to advertise that the difference between the two wheelsets was a mere 20-30g, but are now saying it’s 75g. The latter seems to match my current reality, but a search of my ’09 posts indicates the former was true. Hmm.

Bike pics and ride report to follow tomorrow if the weather holds.

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sat May 07, 2016 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

100mi later and all is good. Two thumbs up to my bike store! I'm ready for LOTOJA.

* Alligator I-Links: Surprisingly, these are taking some time to get used to. It feels like I've traded modulation for increased braking power. That said, I really don't think my SRAM Red brakes are any more powerful. In other words, the brakes just engage more quickly with a significantly firmer brake lever feel. There's nothing squishy about them. One of my riding partners said it sounds like I'm describing a hydraulic mtn bike brake. => The jury is still out on these, but I think they'll be fine once I adjust mentally.

* Lizard Skins DSP Race Tape: I find the thinner tape not as sticky and not as comfortable. It's as sticky or more so than Fizik Microtex, but not nearly as much as the standard fare DSP tape. Also, being thinner (1.8mm vs 2.5mm), the Race tape doesn't offer the same level of padding. It was noticeable. If and when I replace tape, I'm going back to the thicker Race Tape and only sacrificing 1-3g in doing so. I'll offset it with some trick carbon bar plugs or something like that! => DSP Race Tape is fine, but DSP Tape is better.

* SRAM Red cassette: What's all the fuss with the noise they make?! I was pretty nervous beforehand, but am delighted to say cassette-related noise wasn't an issue at all. Every once and awhile, I could hear a unique hollow sound on shifts. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known it was there at all. I'm running a new KMC X10SL chain, which some WW members have said runs quieter. => SRAM Red cassette is a big winner.

* Tune / BTP shifter clamps, Schmolke bar and cables (Alligator brakes and Yokozuna shift): Good to go functionally, but the bar has too much reach for me and am going back to my Kestrel. There goes a healthy 19g savings, which I'll have to address! Bummer. [Bar sold - thanks!] => Bar fit not withstanding, it all worked fine together.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Tue May 03, 2016 3:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

nice- of course I am partial to addicts (and cr1's) 8)
Speedplay is the devil!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Very nice! I'm partial as well though...
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

carbon2329

by carbon2329

WOW

Great build. I am sure you enjoy it.

I'm starting to get partial to Scott's, as well after this one...

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Thanks for the kind words, team! Your forum posts and bikes are my inspiration!

...so, the Kestrel bar went back on today and the Schmolke needs to find a new home. I should've known better with the Schmolke's longer reach, but admit that I was blinded by the whopping .04lb / 19g savings. Ha! If you're going to ride the bike, I think you'll agree that fit has to trump WW-ism.

> > Grand Total Scott Addict R1 w/Reynolds Attacks (verified): 5798g / 12.78lbs < <

> > Grand Total Scott Addict R1 w/Reynolds Assaults (verified): 5907g/ 13.02lbs < <

Now I have to find ~10g to get the Assault set-up to be sub-13lbs. Anyone have any good ideas?! [New wheels and brakes are out of the question for now...]

P.S. carbon2329 - I'm waiting for you to pull the trigger on your new bike. Just do it! Look for me out on the road.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com