2010 Caad 9 BB30 Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bdbike16

by bdbike16

I'm building up a 2010 Cannondale Caad9 BB30 frame (54cm) with 2010 Force:

I'm swapping out the cranks pictured for 2010 force (BB30).

I'm going for a white/black/red scheme with a red saddle, tape and tires along with the red on the fork

The projected weight is ~ 7.06 Kg. I could have gotten it down to 7kg, but it wouldn't have been on rotational weight, so I decided to buy a lighter helmet instead (better $/gram ratio at ~110g savings for $90) Rudy Actyum -> Giro Atmos

Here are the specs and approx weights - build pics and final weights will be up within the next few days.

Frame:
2010 Caad9 bb30 1252g
Easton EC90SLX fork 333g
Headset: 100g
Seatpost+clamp:
Specialized carbon 220g
Specialized rib-cage(s) 72g

Groupset (2010 Sram Force)
Shifters 302g
Fr Derailleur 102g
Cranks (BB30) 645g
Rear derailleur 173g
Brakes 280g
Chain (1090) 255g
Cassette (PG1070) 220g I was going to swap for an og1090, but I hear the pg1070 runs much smoother/quieter and is worth the weight

Pedals:
Speedplay zero 206g

Cables& housing
Gore ride-on 129g

Controls:
3t ergosum pro bars 270g (may swap out for ritchey wcs logic ii bars - would save ~40g)
Tape: fizik microtex 63g
Stem Ritchey WCS 122g
Saddle SSM ASPide 160g

Wheels/tires:
Neuvation r28 sl6 1520g (eventually want to swap out for ksyrium Sls)
Carbones SSC SL 1765g
michellin pro3 400g
Michellin Aircomp 154g
Mavic Ti 100g

Total W/ Neuvations: 7.06kg = 15.56lbs
Total W/ Carbones 7.3 kg

airsoft510

by airsoft510

I'm looking forward to this build.

I'm not sure about how those red parts your talking about would look on that frame. If it were me, I'd do just a black and white build with no other colors, if you add red it'll get confusing to the eye.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bdbike16

by bdbike16

Ya, eventually I'll want to change the color scheme so it's just black and white. I already had the red tape, tires and saddle, and I want to ride it asap.

The frame came today - Some (low quality) pics are below. I should have it 100% built up by tomorrow.

I'm thinking of taking the stickers off the carbones - opinions?

devinci

by devinci

I agree with airsoft on the black/white scheme, would look much better IMO.

I was also thinking about removing the stickers off my carbones, but im not quite sure with how it looks once removed. Mines are 2009 so the sticker look better then these. Best would be to remove those sticker and replace them with 3-4 small SSC sticker on each side of the wheels, it would look much more subtle. But I guess these will be hard to find.

That said, black/white pleasseeeee

bdbike16

by bdbike16

I'll do what I can to track down some white fizik microtex before tomorrow - if not, the red will go on temporarily so I can ride.

Considering replacing the saddle with a white toupe:

and the tires for black pro3 lights:

devinci

by devinci

approved
:P

BmanX

by BmanX

I think that some white bar tape, white saddle, white decals for the wheels and if you have the time and patience maybe sand down the forks and have them nude.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

bdbike16

by bdbike16

Thanks for the suggestions - I definitely plan on switching out the tape, saddle and tires.

Maybe some Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX in Black/White for training:

Looking for a lightweight clincher for hilly racing only - any suggestions? I'm thinking either pro3lights or Diamante Pro Lights. I'd keep the pro3s for flat/rolling courses. I wouldn't be racing on them much, but I'm looking for something <185g that is moderately durable

Lastly, I plan on upgrading to ritchey WCS Logic II bars (~45g lighter and I prefer the shape) I'm thinking either wet black with white tape, or wet white with black tape (fizik microtex, of course):

I should have full build pics (with temp. red parts) posted later today.
Keep the suggestions coming!

mr_tim

by mr_tim

How about pro3 in ivory? The off white tone would work well with the frame & balance with the blacks of the other components. Pro3's turn into pro3 lights eventually anyway :) , as its just less tread & no colour options with the light version.

Personally I wouldn't run evo cx as a training tire, its too susceptible to cuts & gouges.. you'll get much better training mileage out of the pro3 & its pretty comfortable too (75kg/6bar ime)

BmanX

by BmanX

What is the weight on the Ritchey bars. I like that shape as well.

As for tires/tyres you could go a lot lighter than 185g. I know I will be heckled for this but I have very good success with Conti Super Sonics and they are around 154g - 160g. They have lasted for me and I am a 185 lbs rider. Match these up with some nice latex tubes and the whole set up would be around 220g-230g which would be nice. I currently have been riding them with 50g tubes and the tire/tube set come in at 205g - 210g.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

bdbike16

by bdbike16

The ritchey bars would be about ~230g
Black or white? I guess it depends on the tape color...If one is white, I'll make the other black.

I drank a crapload of coffee and started played around with my spreadsheet for the build, and If I swap out a few things, I can get the build to just about 6.8kg, if not slightly under (6791g). I'll have to wait until I have a little extra $ laying around, but these changes should bring it down about 255g. This wouldn't be too efficient for the $/gram benchmark, but to get an aluminum frame with (relatively) heavy wheels (<1500g) to under 6.8 grams would be pretty awesome.
Handlebar 233g Ritchey logicII
Tires 364g michellin pro3 light
Tubes 140g Michellin Aircomp (70g each)
Skewers 52g Zipp TI (seems like a good combo of safe and light)
Cassette 166g SRAM Red
Seatpost 150g 2010 3T Doric Limited Carbon Seatpost
Cages 46g Specialized Carbon ( I havent dropped a bottle with the rib cage model, so I want to stick with the shape)

Way down the road, I plan on getting some lighter wheels - possibly ksyrium SLs, which would bring it down to ~6.75kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com