2010 Pinarello Dogma - Shimano Di2 - Clavicula - Final Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

marchitect

by marchitect

Thought I would post images of a bike I've thought about for a long time that is now a reality.
There are lots of people that helped me make this build a reality and my appreciation and thanks go out to all of them.
Initially I thought my biggest challenge was going to be integrating the Shimano Di2 components with the Clavicula crank. It turns out, this was no problem at all. The shifting is amazingly accurate and I have zero issues with what I thought would be a real headache.
I also thought I would have major issues with the internal Di2 cables rubbing on the MASSIVE Clavicula carbon crank spindle in the bottom bracket area. It turns out I had a brain storm as I was routing the cables and found a way to route the internal cables so they never even enter the bottom bracket chamber.
Here is a link to how I routed the Di2 Wires to stay out of the BB area: download/file.php?id=35378&mode=view
The build went surprisingly easy. Because there are no cables to stretch, the derailleurs shift perfectly after the initial set up and things just work.

Now that the bike it finished and I have about 300 miles on it, I must say the bike far exceeds my expectations. I knew I would like the bike a lot, but I wasn't aware just how nice a bike could be and how nice a bike could carve a turn until I rode my new bike.
Do I have any gripes about anything on the bike, well maybe. I'm not all that impressed with the Most seat post. It is the most difficult seatpost to adjust that I've ever had. There is a bolt on top that you have to access through the underside of the saddle and finding a tool that can do the job is very hard. There is another bolt, 5mm hex, at the bottom of the seatpost clamp that is easy to get to. But you have to work both bolts at the same time in order to get the seat just right.
Speaking of the seat / saddle. It's a Tune Concorde. I'm surprised how much I like this saddle. It's much more comfortable than I thought it would be. Have I had more comfortable saddles? Yes, but at a much heavier weight and this Concorde combines great design, comfort and weight all in one element.

I wanted a very light bike, but saving weight wasn't my main priority. It was important for me to have a PowerTap Powermeter and Clincher wheels. These two items are not the way to go if saving weight is your main priority. However, I think I did well as the complete wheel set including the PowerTap in clincher format was 1436g. I don't know of another powertap wheel set lighter that that.

I knew the new Dogma was about 100g lighter than the newest Prince, but honestly it's hard to find much info on the weight of Pinarello bikes. It was my assumption that Pinarellos were light but I really didn't know if they were among the lightest in the industry or where they stood. So as I was putting all the parts together in my head and seeing all these 11, 12, and 13 pound bikes, I thought my new Pinarello would be in the high 13 pound range or maybe low 14 range.
As it turns out, with the bike as it stands in the photos, with peddles and bottle cages etc. the bike weigh 14.89 lbs (edit add 100g with the Fizik Antares). Yes it's light, but it's not the feather I thought it would be. I know the Di2 stuff is a little heaver than other top-line stuff. The handlebars are also heavier than other bars, but even so, I thought my bike would be a pound lighter than it is.
Even so, I couldn't be more happy with this new machine. The way it feels is amazing, and it is a total pleasure to ride. For me a real dream bike.
Because the shifting is all Di2 I chose NOT to go outside of the Shimano realm and try other chains and/or cassettes. I wanted flawless shifting and that is why the chain and cassette is Dura Ace and not some lighter option.

Anyway, I had a great time making this bike a reality and wanted to share with others that might also enjoy it.

The Build List is as follows:
Frame: 2010 Pinarello Dogma 60.1 Size 55 - Di2
Fork: Pinarello Dogma Asym.
Seat Post: Pinarello Dogma, Most
Wheels: Custom built, Reynolds MV32 C, Sapim Cxray spokes,
Rear Hub, Power Tap SLC+
Front Hub, Alchemy
Tires, Victoria Open Corsa Evo Cx-320 tpi
Tubes, Victoria Evo Race Light 55g
Skewers, Tune
Crank: Clavicula : 52/39
Chain: Dura Ace
Cassette: Dura Ace
Peddals: Speedplay Zero - Ti
Chainrings: Shimano Ultegra
Brakes: Shimano 7900 Dura Ace
Levers: Shimano 7900 Dura Ace Di2
Derailleurs: Shimano 7900 Dura Ace Di2
Derailleur pully, custom by GS-Carbonparts
Saddle: Tune Concorde (54g) or Fizik Antares (154g)
Handlebars: FSA K-Force wing
Bar-ends: carbon fiber
Stem: Syntace F109
Expander: Tune - Gum Gum
The latest images with stem adjustment
The latest images with stem adjustment
Attachments
I love the way that big pulley looks.  It's supposed to reduce drag and enhance performance.
I love the way that big pulley looks. It's supposed to reduce drag and enhance performance.
Great design, super light (54g) and much more comfortable than I thought it would be
Great design, super light (54g) and much more comfortable than I thought it would be
Some of the lightest skewers around,  Great design too.
Some of the lightest skewers around, Great design too.
Such a beefy crank arm, Light and great looks.
Such a beefy crank arm, Light and great looks.
Last edited by marchitect on Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.

princebmc
Shop Owner

by princebmc

FANTASTIC BUILD!!

Im trying so desperately hard to get my Di2 Dogma frame and you already have one complete!

Well done on a magnifiacent bike.
Did that just happen!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

marchitect, I moved this to the introduce yourself section, as I thought it fit better here. Fantastic bike, by the way!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

kgt

by kgt

Remove those Reynolds stickers. It will make it look much better.

tochnics

by tochnics

sweet ride, really shows how much bikes evolved with al those electric systems
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

14.89 pounds (6.75kg) is pretty impressive considering that that includes a powertap, Di2 and clinchers. Add to the mix that you are running stock brakes (a good move IMO) and a cassette that will outlast a chain and all I can say is :shock: :shock: :shock: nice bike.

FWIW, if you went to tubs (-~130g in tyre/tube, ~90g in rim), with a light rear hub (-200g), red/SR (-~150g) silly brakes (-90g) and so on, you could drop about 1.5 pounds. But then it wouldn't have a power tap and electric shifting.

Bloody nice bike in my opinion.

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Beautiful bike. I am sure it's a no compromise ride so even though it's s little heavier than expected.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

BlackTiBob

by BlackTiBob

Gorgeous bike!!!
What does the saddle weigh?

Should be a great performer AND one of the nicest builds I've seen. It really looks hot :up:

fa63

by fa63

The bike looks dialed in, now it is time to work on the flexibility of the rider :)

Geoff

by Geoff

Hmmmm. I am interested in your pulley and rear cage set-up. Was it a retrofit from a 7900 design or is it a new, clean-sheet design for the Di2? How does it shift in comparison to the stock set-up? Are the carbon cages more flexible than the stock versions?

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

wow i have no words to say
πατα τραβα ρε

marchitect

by marchitect

BlackTiBob wrote:Gorgeous bike!!!
What does the saddle weigh?
Saddle weight is 54g, if memory serves me correctly.
Should be a great performer AND one of the nicest builds I've seen. It really looks hot :up:

marchitect

by marchitect

Geoff wrote:Hmmmm. I am interested in your pulley and rear cage set-up. Was it a retrofit from a 7900 design or is it a new, clean-sheet design for the Di2? How does it shift in comparison to the stock set-up? Are the carbon cages more flexible than the stock versions?

My Di2 components including the special der. pulley came in the mail long before the frame. So, I installed the modified Di2 rear der. from the very beginning with with the special pulley. I can't comment on how the shifting is different.
There is a slight weight reduction with this pulley as the weight of the revised Di2 rear der. is 214g. According to the fabricator it "reduces the waste of power at the chain transition". Again, according to the fabricator, it has been tested in the TDF by guys like Danilo Hondo and Gilberto Simoni and they say it shifts better than the original.
I think, but not positive, that this pulley set up is different from their traditional Dura Ace 7900 non Di2 set up.

marchitect

by marchitect

fa63 wrote:The bike looks dialed in, now it is time to work on the flexibility of the rider :)

fa63, you are So Correct !!
I've been dealing with neck problems on the bike for several years. I've been told my arms are a good deal shorter than what my legs and torso would dictate. I work hard on improving my flexibility. I'd love to remove some of the stem spacers and flip the stem to a 'flat' position, but at the moment that would mean much shorter bike rides and big increases in neck pain.
You are a keen observer as you can tell my flexibility is in need of improving.
Believe me, I'm working on it.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Very very nice.
Any chance you will fix the stem and get some WW brakes?
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com