2010 Neo Ultimate - 5.2Kg -- further updates

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

gandini

by gandini

Hey thanks, Segraves8! It's a pleasure to ride, and tinker with (currently on a project, will report soon...)

As I've said before, this forum is the best place to hang out with people who:
1. Have great WW bikes
2. Appreciate light bikes, building them, and riding them
3. Share :thumbup: and :unbelievable: as they deem appropriate

BmanX

by BmanX

This bike just keeps getting better. I love the new EE brakes and when I get my big commission for fiscal year end, these are on my list for sure for my SLC.

My only comment would be to maybe pick up some black anodized Speedplay butterflies and I think it will complete the build a bit more.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gandini

by gandini

BmanX wrote:...My only comment would be to maybe pick up some black anodized Speedplay butterflies and I think it will complete the build a bit more.

Wooooww... that is so wierd. I just ordered black Speedplay butterflies... No really! Like 2 days ago.
Yes, the EE brakes are very nice. Technical marvels, with a great feel, progression and power. The adjustability is beyond all, too. Easy set up. And complete with pads, they weigh in at 95g.

BmanX

by BmanX

I can make it even more spooky as I was going to comment on your build and the butterflies two days ago but forgot about the post and then had some time today to comment. CRAZY.

I have two pairs of black anodized aluminum butterflies and so far they have held up very well. The very front of the butterflies are just starting to show a little bare aluminum through that part but that is after several thousand clip ins.

As for the EE brakes, if this months commission is just that good then I might buy them now but the year end bonus will allow me to not even think about the cost of the brakes and just order them.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Segraves8

by Segraves8

gandini wrote:Hey thanks, Segraves8! It's a pleasure to ride, and tinker with (currently on a project, will report soon...)

No problem at all man! :beerchug:

gandini

by gandini

Just finished my latest project: a new saddle for the integrated seat/post.

It is longer and more finely shaped than my first one, but weighs less--sweet! 116g total weight. I rode it today and it feels great. I modeled it after my AX endurance, which I rode for many years and found to be one of the most comfortable saddles in my 30 years of riding. This is just as comfy.

I also sanded the rear derailleur pulley cage. The effect can be seen on the big picture in post #1.

Still weighs a little over 5Kg...darn it!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I think it looks great Phill!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

range
Shop Owner

by range

Hi Phil,

Could we get more info on the saddle? You made it yourself, how did you go about this?

Cheers
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

gandini

by gandini

range wrote:...You made it yourself, how did you go about this?
Cheers

I used the AX to make a female mold (cast), then used that to make a male mold. I then laid up layers of cf fabric, with various shapes to reinforce where the saddle mates with the post, to a create a tapered thickness. I then squeezed the resin out with electrical tape (it sticks to itself but not resin--amazing!). A day later, I removed the tape, and sanded the top surface--that's why it looks matte. I didn't want it to be glossy, so as to match the frame.
It's relatively easy, actually, to make concave surfaces like this, but if you want that super-glossy German look, you'll need a lot of equipment like pre-preg fiber and vacuum bags or an autoclave. :unbelievable:
I've made about 6 saddles over the years, and this one is the best--very low resin ratio, very light, flexy on the edges but stiff where it counts. And it's the shape that fits my butt! LOL.

range
Shop Owner

by range

Thanks!

That's really interesting.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

ksroadie

by ksroadie

Great work, gandini. 86 edge rim decals, degloss crankarms?

Sleg8

by Sleg8

gandini wrote:I used the AX to make a female mold (cast), then used that to make a male mold...

You make it sound so simple. I wouldn't mind trying this myself, although my own manufacturing processes leave a lot to be desired.

What did you use to make the cast? plaster of paris?
Cheers,
Sleg8
"All I ask is the heavens above and the road below"

gandini

by gandini

Sleg8 wrote:...What did you use to make the cast? plaster of paris?

Yes!

gandini

by gandini

Just updated the first post by adding a photo of the new wheels! Woohoo. They are great.
AX SRT42 rims, Tune Mig/Mag hubs and XRay spokes 16/20 from Nico. 920g the set.
Seat is AX Premium, and I'm waiting on the AX premium post to match. (My integrated seat/post is undergoing some mods...)

New 320tpi Vittoria Corsa Evo tires as well.

wesclimb

by wesclimb

This bike was already cool and it just keeps getting better. I too have a NEO and your bike has definitely inspired me; keep up the great work and thanks...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com