2010 Neo Ultimate - 5.2Kg -- further updates

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Sorry for the OT

AX lightness makes intergrated seats and seatposts on order. I know Tune used to do so as well, but I don't know about them now.

The ax combo on Jan Ullrichs bike during a TDF

Pics courtesy of cyclingnews
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

gandini

by gandini

Just posted new photos of latest mods/tunes/parts:

New 2010 EE brakes. With a very "technical" look, perhaps not for everyone, but they are a complete rework of the design. And the same weight as my ZeroG brakes, but these work!

Complete sanding of the bars, and removal of the majority of decals from the Red brake levers and shifters.

New Emporelli bottle cage. Incredibly expensive, but amazing in how easy to get in/out and grip.

Small details. New pictures on the first page.

Still weighs about 11.5lbs, still rides like a dream...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

Looking better every time. Those brake calipers are not the prettiest, but they look right on that build. I also think the pic of the bar/stem combo posted by Frankie would make it look that bit more elegant, but boy does it look good with the bars sanded down.

The only other thing I would change is take the red out of the headset and seat clamp.

one gorgeous looking bike, especially at that weight. Well done.

gandini

by gandini

Yes, the brakes are not pretty for sure. But they do work!
I can't keep buying bars: I almost have a bike shop of bars--Cinelli Rams, Kestrel EMS, TTT199s. I even tried some TLOs.
I think bars are like saddles and pedals--they are the most personal parts of the bike.
Thanks for the props. This bike has certainly made my riding so enjoyable, I think about riding even when I'm not riding.
Last edited by gandini on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

KB

by KB

I screwed up on that last post of mine. The bar/stem looks fab; I was thinking the seat/seatpost combo :oops:

BmanX

by BmanX

I really like this project and keep thinking to myself that maybe, just maybe I could think about buying a new light weight frame instead of riding my aero frame. The more I look at your build, the more I think about it.

Great work.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

range
Shop Owner

by range

I've come to enjoy the ultra-stealth look and your bike is just awesome. I agree that if you ride your bike everyday, you have to choose what you like best. Sure there are some stems and bars that could cut down the weight by 150g, but if they don't suit your riding style, it doesn't really matter.

Unless you attend the shows with your builds, most of us just ride our bikes ourselves. If they become un-ridable, they're no longer useful.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

noah

by noah

Great bike!!!

Did you sanded all of the bar/stem or just where the paint where?

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Phil - you've built a very beautiful bike, and kudos for all the customizations and little details you've thrown in. The only thing on the bike that to me looks out of place is the rear derailleur. The carbon swing arm is very easy to remove, and it would be very little work to sand off the decals and re-clearcoat. Also what about a Super Record front derailleur rather than a 7900 with fake carbon wrap?

gandini

by gandini

Yes, when I get the time, I will sand the rear derailleur! As for the front derailleur, I have a Record CF, but it doesn't shift as well as the 7900, and weighs more. Crazy huh? I ran it for a while just to have the CF look, but in the end I went for the better shifting unit (and covered it up just to reduce the glare from the chrome :D
+noah: I sanded the whole bar down, just to get the new finish even. I am using increasingly fine paper, then polishing mops, then beeswax for the finish. I had to repaint the Al steerer clamp, as it was glossy black paint, and when I sanded the stem area I revealed a bit of adhesive that had squeezed out during manufacture. The new matte finish is cosmetic, but it looks just fine in person.

sneeeky

by sneeeky

this bike is amazing! i really love the looks of those neos

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'm actually a big fan of the EE brakes and think they look great - both on Phil's bike and in general :noidea:

Phil - do you get many comments or questions in the bunch or at cafes? Or is it that stealth people have little idea what they are passing?

And Frankie :thumbup: I had no idea anyone in the Pro peloton had run a setup like that, especially Jan. Must have really wanted to shed as much weight as possible.

gandini

by gandini

Thanks. I really appreciate the comments. It has been my experience that no-one ever appreciates your bike (or car, or whatever) as much as you do, and so expecting others to give it more than a passing glance is expecting too much. This forum is about the best place on the planet for having people actually know what you've done to a bike, and really taking to the time to look.
I've ridden the 2010 EE brakes for a month now, and they are clearly superior to the Zero Gs I was running (with the same pads). They are exactly the same weight so no penalty or gain there, but the pull is much more linear. Stopping is truly a function of how hard you pull on the brake lever, and they inspire confidence. Unfortunately, as with many things on WW bikes, the form follows function and they don't appeal to my aesthetic, but they don't stand out being black on an all black bike.
As for Jan Ullrich's bike--he always seemed to be hooked up with the really fancy German stuff. He rode LW wheels, AX lightness saddle/post, and Schmolke bars long before they became mainstream (for us WWs, that is.) I know that lots of other pros rode LWs (unmarked of course), but don't know how common the other ultralight German parts were. Ullrich must always have been close to the weight limit, as well as the riding limit!

sawyer

by sawyer

gandini -your bike is a great example of pure WWism while still achieving a high level of excellence in a particular aesthetic. Bravo.

Ullrich was riding lots of those parts before 6.8 came in. Jesus man, it would be open season with today's parts with no limit!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Segraves8

by Segraves8

Wow, that's one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com