My 2009 Lynskey r330 Houseblend w/etched logos (7598g)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

themountaintop

by themountaintop

Nice, glad you're enjoying the new ride! I'm loving all the great things people are saying about Lynskeys. I bought a Cooper (size medium) with the industrial mill finish 2 days ago (before the $100 price increase on the frames & Don only charged me $30 for the upgrade in the finish!) once it gets here I'll post some pics of it pre-built.

mrkenito

by mrkenito

themountaintop wrote:Nice, glad you're enjoying the new ride! I'm loving all the great things people are saying about Lynskeys. I bought a Cooper (size medium) with the industrial mill finish 2 days ago (before the $100 price increase on the frames & Don only charged me $30 for the upgrade in the finish!) once it gets here I'll post some pics of it pre-built.

Lynskeys unite!

That's awesome...I'm glad Lynskeys are getting rave reviews. It's easy to see how much passion they have towards our bikes. Looking forward to your build pics and glad to finally see a milled finished Lynskey. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

I forgot about this thread. With a triple crankset you are carrying atleast 850g worth of crank, vs. about 740 with a compact double (shimano claims 725g for DA 7900)

This the gear ratio on a triple is such that you have 4 or 5 gears on your small ring that are useless, as they are higher gears than those on the bottom of the middle gear, then you have 5 or 6 gears on the middle ring that are useless, as the higher gears on the middle are higher gears on the big ring. So while it seems like you are getting 10 additional gears , the addition of the 3rd ring means that you are getting about 5 additional gears (20 or 21 usable gears) as opposed to the 15-16 usable gears of a compact double (or 14-15 or a traditional double)

Also, it is thought somewhat that triples should be reserved for touring, the older gentleman, mountain bikers and so on.

This week I also decided that I would empty my wallet and buy a bike made out of titanium. I mean, what justifiable rationale is there not to have a bike made out of the same material that the space shuttle is made of? It'll be heavy, but I am pretty not really interested in spending my money on expensive shit that I won't be racing on and will break anyway. Hopefully it will ride better than an alloy frame with a carbon saddle stuffed with $100 bills, which was my other option.

themountaintop

by themountaintop

Tokyo drifter, personally I can't see the point in riding anything else but titanium anymore (Not to sound jaded) I'm coming of a Waterford 2200 (Reynolds 853) for the past 2 years that was fun but I can't wait to get my arse back on titanium. I've ridden a Seven Axiom race, owned 3 litespeeds (Arenburg, Solano and Vortex) and a merlin and the only issue I've ever had with them is even after 3 plus years of use they don't change, they keep the same plush ride, super easy to maintain/clean and the only problem I ever had was lusting after newer titanium frame models. Wise move on your part!!! No more rust worries, no more fatigue worries simply throw a new set of decals on from time to time and you'll be happy for decades. Congrats and look forward to seeing the new ride!!!

mrkenito, please update us after you've done your first long climb and descent!!

Lowering weight ideas:

-Sell your Dura Ace 7800 brakes and buy Sram Red brakes, the Red is cheaper and weigh less (then the 7800 or the 7900) and work fine with no cross over issues with Dura Ace shifters. I ran 7900 shifters and red brakes, work perfect together.

-Switch to compact cranks in front and replace the long cage derailluer with a short cage, sell the 12-25 and buy a 12-27.

-Sell the Deda stem and replace it with an Easton EA90, The EA90 is close to 9-12 grams lighter (depending on website)in the 100mm range than the Deda and it will match your fork!!!

-Chop some of the drop of the handlebars.

mrkenito

by mrkenito

Thanks for the ideas, themountaintop.

themountaintop wrote:-Sell your Dura Ace 7800 brakes and buy Sram Red brakes, the Red is cheaper and weigh less (then the 7800 or the 7900) and work fine with no cross over issues with Dura Ace shifters. I ran 7900 shifters and red brakes, work perfect together.

-Switch to compact cranks in front and replace the long cage derailluer with a short cage, sell the 12-25 and buy a 12-27.

I've decided to go for the 7950 setup. That alone should save me close to >400g. I forgot to note this in my earlier posts but my triple setup was a parts exchange from my trusty old Waterford Schwinn Paramount. That bike was heavy but handled like a dream. In the back of my mind, I was always thinking about a compact crank upgrade.

themountaintop wrote:-Sell the Deda stem and replace it with an Easton EA90, The EA90 is close to 9-12 grams lighter (depending on website)in the 100mm range than the Deda and it will match your fork!!!

I looked at both the Easton EC90 and the 3T ARX Team and the Deda Zero100 still wins in the price-to-weight category (although the 3T ARX came close both technically and aesthetically). For the time being, I'll stick with the Deda Zero100 stem ($60)/Supernatural bar ($40) combo since it feels very comfortable with Shimano brake shifters for now.

themountaintop wrote:-Chop some of the drop of the handlebars.

LOL, funny you should mention this...I thought about this during my last ride. Since when am I ever in the flat bottom part of the bars?

range
Shop Owner

by range

Changing the wheels will probably save you a lot of weight. Some of the wheelsets I've seen on WW weigh as little as 780gr. Granted, they're climbing wheels, but still. The stem, handlebars, seatpost, saddle are places where you can easily save weight. You don't need to spend $900 on the AX Lightness Zeus stem, but the Extralite UL3 stem weighs 78g or so and costs about $210. Granted, it's not as sexy as the AX, but it's 4.5 times less and only 14g more.

Here are some of the parts I'm considering for my next ww build. I've mixed and matched to stay within my budget. All in all, I'd rather go all AX and Schmolke, but the costs can easily spiral out of control. These the estimated weight savings if I would put these parts onto my titanium Velocite bike.

THM-Carbones Scrapula SP tun 235g $853 -140
AX Lightness Daedalus seatpost 86g $468 -104
Tune Concorde RR 08 saddle 54g $240 -186
Extralite UL3 stem 78g $210 -32
AX Lightness AX 4000 handlebar 110g $600 -66
THM Carbones Clavicula crank 410g $967 -210
Fibre-Lyte chain rings
{KCNC CB1 w pads (115g) 164g $250 -85}
Circus Monkey Feather brakes pad 195g $150 -54
Soul Kozak Top Cap 4g
FD clamp 10g
Soul Kozak Seat Clamp 10g
AX Lightness skewers 35g
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

mrkenito

by mrkenito

Thanks for the advice, Range!

planetxinker

by planetxinker

Juanmoretime wrote:Study what other have done. BTW Very nice bike.

Here is a link to my R320 that is now 12.67 lbs. The difference in it now verses this thread is my cranks are now VumaQuads, Alpha Q Prolite seatpost. KCNC skewers and I have Ciamillo Gravitas brakes on it.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38728&p=366602&hilit=weekend+project#p366602

how does that kcnc cassette shift with the Record?