HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:11 am 

My Rue is now 8.17 lbs. I hope to have it down to 7.9 hopefully sometime this Spring. I just wanted to respond to some who wonder how such a light bike holds up on the bad Bay area roads where I ride. First I only use my lightest front for hill climbs and on better roads, but my next lightest front wheel is only about 80 grams heavier. I try to avoid hitting bigger pot holes, etc. I also feel that I ride with a little finesse. I feel that I ride with a calm mind and relaxed body. It helps to breath deeper through one's nose, even during hard efforts. Of course this way of breathing takes time to develop, but after some time it really makes a difference. That is where the finesse comes in and my 140 lb. body go over the bumps eaiser. One needs a calm mind when your flyling down a twisty decent, on bad roads at 40 mph or so. I have said before that cycling should be fun. If one has to worry about something breaking all the time, then something is not right. I will have more updates and pictures of whats new in the near future. I wish everyone a happy new year of fun with bikes and riding.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:52 am 

What can you tell us about the cable housing? Name, where you got it, performance?

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:52 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:13 am 

The cable housing is the Tune plastic stuff. I use it for the brakes and rear derailleur. I got it about 6 or 7 years ago from Andy at Posh Bikes. I don't have any problems, my rear derailleur still shifts perfect, no problems with the brakes. I do have very strong springs with the brakes. Springs I made from a sheet of titanium, I forget what gauge thickness. I did spend a few hours making the springs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:01 pm 

how is it going don?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:34 pm 

i also have tested the tune plastic, i dont know if you drive, but quality of braking and gear set up where disastrous. i also have tested the magura pathways, they was the same.
i drive with ilinks and powercordz (but not ahead by the brake) this is mmn the best combi. or the gore ul. do you have some partlist of the bike? nice weight:-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:12 am 

Attachment:
x05schmolke.jpg
x05schmolke.jpg [ 56.79 KiB | Viewed 447 times ]
AWESOME BIKE :beerchug:

Now all you need is the following to finish it off :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:29 am 

Things are going very well with my Rue. I had an update around Nov. 17th 2011. Search Update: Now 7.89 lb. Ruegamer, 3,598 grams. I have had no problems with the Tune plastic cable housing, except that I was unable to use a power cord cable for the rear brake. I also use plastic housing on another bike with no problems. I do hope I can get a new stem for my Rue sometime next month if things work out, hopefully a 26.0 clamp size, 110 length around 50 grams total weight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:28 am 

This is astounding. What do you think will be the final end weight. What are you ultimately aiming for.

By the way what tires are you using on your lightest wheels and how are you getting on with them on the hard roads of the San. Bay area.

You are the WW king. Superb.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:44 pm 

You can see my post about my present weight, 7.9 lbs. About the tires I use, I have had good success with Veloflex Records on the front of the various front wheels I use and on the rear for hill climbs and when I weigh the bike, normal rides I usually use Conti Supersonic on the rear and I still have some other brands that I have saved through the years, 700-23 , that range in weight from 142 grams to 153 grams. Even on these rough bay Area roads I have few punctures, and I run 80 psi front and 86 to 90 psi. rear. I also have an accurate hand guage as well as different floor pumps to know from time to time how accurate the psi is.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3