'89 Merckx Tutti Frutti - I'm a lazy sod, as it's all ready

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

This one came a little out of left field...was just browsing for steel bikes on the global ebay and up popped this little beauty! Was immediately smitten with it!

It then just so happened to be owned by a chap on RBR forums who has many, many more lovely steel bikes - so was selling this one due to the minimal use it was seeing.

All told I'm told it's done around 800km - and he bought it as NOS from Germany. Whatever the case it is in perfect condition, and after the gf saw it she convinced me that I had to buy it! (the arm twisting truly was painful :wink: ).

Honestly, looks even better in the flesh. The paint work on it is incredibly good and there's no a spot of rust anywhere that I have seen so far on it.

As for the build...really unsure on whether to go for Athena and keep my bikes all 11sp or Centaur for the alloy shifters...The wheels? Will be traditional spoke count, but not sure on alloy hubs are out there which would take 11sp. And was even considering putting singles on it just for that additional 'traditional' touch (although a lot more apprehensive about this part).

Also have no idea what headset to use. And need to find a quill handlebar set.

But looking forward to the fun of getting all the parts :) And will need the help of you fine gents along the way - of that there is no doubt!

Anyway, so some pic's!

Last edited by Tinea Pedis on Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:14 am, edited 6 times in total.

bJay

by bJay

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

I want that frame....!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I may be the only one to say this but I would go Athena for practicality of all your bikes on 11 speed.

Insanely jealous mate. Looks awesome.
a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in lycra

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sakic

by sakic

I really like it too.

if you go with campagnolo, just get the 1 inch threaded record headset, they still make them.

also go with some new older record or chorus hubs, polished alu and 32 hole. Should look great and although I have not tried, should take 11 speed cassette no worries.

Itm eclypse or similar stem would look good, 3t made a similar one, so too cinelli but I can't remember the name.

Should ride good and be tough as nails, slx tubing and merckx geometry :thumbup:

morephyous

by morephyous

in great condition, congrats :)

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'd LOVE some of the older 32 hole Record hubs - but some of the chaps on here don't think they'll take an 11sp cassette...

Also unsure which rims, but really think the ones on the new Gioiello would look pretty sweet! Just need to I.D. them...

Athena was certainly getting more of a nod from the pragmatic point of view - plus (levers aside) it's polished finish does seem really nice. Would just love a couple of reviews on it...aside from reports of 'mushy' shifting I don't know much more about it.

And bJay - we're pretty much the same height and use Look pedals. So I see no reason why you can't take it for a spin. I just need to get me the bike and I over to Radelaide!

sakic

by sakic

I think they are mavic open pro rims on that bike above.

I went with ambrosio excellence on my old school full steel bike. The dark grey ones. I had problems with the eyelets on the open pros rims over the years.

those wheels with nice tubes and velofelx pave tyres is great.

I have a Ti record post and a Ti rail flite saddle on mine too. I don't think you can get more smooth or comfortable.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Tinea Pedis, you`re a lucky man! Congratulations!!!

FACT

by FACT

Image :mrgreen:

SQ

by SQ

Awesome, I love it. There will be a Corsa in my future...

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

I'm feeling the fruit flavors!
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

TTiago

by TTiago

Very nice frame and it's incredible how good looking it is after all these years! :thumbup:

sakic wrote:go with some new older record or chorus hubs, polished alu and 32 hole. Should look great and although I have not tried, should take 11 speed cassette no worries.

I've tried and works great!

ww4

by ww4

thats HOT and in great condition, your one lucky person.

There's been a lot of steel subjects in ww, we must be all getting old or we're back to where it all started :beerchug:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

TTiago wrote:I've tried and works great!

Really??!

So a set like this

will take an 11sp cassette??

And ta for the compliments guys. I'm pretty stoked with it! :D

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

That is one nice frame. Slx Columbus. And what looks like chrome that is in very good shape.

Bravo. Now build 'er up and post more pics! :thumbup:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Those threaded freewheel record hubs certainly won't work.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."