Neo Exile

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

Very nice bike you have there Musiker! And it has a bed, you must really love her (^_~).
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

mcrdave

by mcrdave

I have the planet x bottle cages and havent managed to eject my bottles over crazy bumpy roads here in the north of UK. A good choice, and they match the Neo finish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

Great. Really nice build. Would only change the seatpost clamp and maybe have black shiny decals. But that takes nothing away. The matt finish as Michela states, it's the new black. 8)

Musiker

by Musiker

Been a long dark winter here in denmark :-/ - So My neo only got a single 65km trip before winter. Last week me and the GF took a trip to Lanzarote and I brought my Neo to get some km's on it! All in all it feels good - Rode a couple og 80+km trips and a did the few climbs on the island. I found one big issue. Namely that descending caused speed wobble at around 60-65km/h even when running straight and cornering was not fun (even at 30-40km/h). The standard Neo Exile Fork is simply very soft - I rode a bit of slalom and it flexed terrible. Mind you I only weigh at 62kg's...
So now is the question, what fork should I get to replace it? First one that spring to mind is the EDGE 2.0, but are there other good options? Maybe even cheaper ones?

Musiker

by Musiker

Just read my impressions from my first ride.. And I noticed that I had the flex feeling there too (heh!)
With regards to the SRAM shifters and shifting. I am now used to them and they works just as well as my Shimano. And I am actually starting to like the SRAM better..

/Henrik

range
Shop Owner

by range

Wow, you better get that looked at/addressed ASAP. Taking a plunge at 60kph isn't going to be pretty.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

Musiker

by Musiker

Heh After the first decent where I noticed it (Knees to toptube stopped it), which was on a straight and very smooth piece of road I took it easy and used my brakes to keep the speed down. But yes I am riding extremly carefully now.. And will order an EDGE 2.0 soonish..

Got word from Patrick which do not understand why it is so soft.. He have not heard about it from others.

Charliesride

by Charliesride

I experienced speed wobbles on my Neo Exile too.
I chose to sell the frame. It was definately softer than what I would consider a true race bike.

Musiker

by Musiker

Charliesride wrote:I experienced speed wobbles on my Neo Exile too.
I chose to sell the frame. It was definately softer than what I would consider a true race bike.

Bah, I hope thats not the whole frame that is soft, I don't feel thats the case when I climb sitting down or pedal hard, however climbing out of the saddle I can feel some softness, but it feels like its from the fork..

Did you find the whole frame soft or just the Fork? (What fork did you have on it?)

BR
Henrik

Charliesride

by Charliesride

I felt it was the frame, I had the Neo fork on it and an Easton Tempest 2 aluminum wheelset, definately a stiff wheelset torsionally. I liked how light the frame was, but the torsional softness worried me. I also noticed I could grip the top tube and down tube and squeeze and feel quite a bit of give in the tube. I told Patrick who replied he had'nt heard that before. I was also able to flex the hell out of it at the bottom bracket the frame had alot of give.
I felt it was the frame. Now I am 195 lbs in the off season, 185 when I race, so this is not a good frame for a larger guy. So I sold it. Would not feel comfortable decending at high speeds on it.
I have read all sorts of great reviews on it, and lots of guys saying how stiff they think it is. I just did not experience that.

gandini

by gandini

We are talking Neo Exile (from 2009) not the Exile Ultimate from 2010! There's a very big difference between the 2 (well, they aren't even similar except for the name, Neo)
You can't actually get the old 2009 frame any more. So only those who have them should be concerned about this flex/wobble/instability issue.
I've been over 65kph on 780g Edge 25s attached to my Neo Ultimate, and instability is the least of my worries (taking off in a 60kph wind is more likely...)

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

The Exile Pro crica 2009 model, not your Ultimate, I believe is what is being discussed here gandini.

euan

by euan

Are any of the Neo's actually available now? I was interested in the new non Ultimate Neo but seems like Patricks been having some issues lately.

Peter_E

by Peter_E

I have the same Neo Exile as you (musiker) and my Neo feels quite soft torsionally. It's noticable when wiggling the bars. Haven't had any problems when riding though. Have done som fast rides now that spring arrived and the frame works fine so far. I'm 65 kg. You don't really reach 65 km/h here though but no problem in a fast group ride. Changed the fork to Alpha Q GS-40 and that made the ride a lot nicer. Stiffer front but less harsh. Like the lightness though and if it doesn't wobble I'll keep it.

Musiker

by Musiker

Thanks all for the replies..
Im a light guy myself 61-64kg.
Its not that many places where I normally ride. I reach 65km/h but when I go to france or other places with mountains my bike should be stable so I can get down a mountain hitting decent speed (60-70km/h)! No doubt about it.. If the Neo isent that bike I will retire the frame to my daily to and from work racer, hehe..

I will try to test the frame the way you guys mentioned. If i can flex the frame its not good imo.
Im glad that that a stiffer fork seemed to help..

Lastly I have one hill here near me where I can get to 60-65 without a problem (Kongevejen near copenhagen)..

/Henrik

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com