Colnago Master X-Light Saronni PR82...steel weenie? Updated.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

highcountryboy

by highcountryboy

Too bulky? These guy's don't know anything. I love this build!

Can you tell me what the top tube length is? Is it 530 mm? How much did you pay for yours? The cheapest I've been able to find it is $2,215.

I think the Super Record fits it perfectly. Same with the deda stem; who cares about all the writing. It's not like it is a sleeper. It's a shiney, flashy bike.

If I'm able to get one, I will go with traditional-bend alloy bars and regular-ol' aluminum clinchers, perhaps DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims with 240 hubs and Sapim C-Xray spokes.

But I must thank you for awakening me to this beautiful bike. I'm currently building an IF SSR but am hoping to start on a classic build like yours next year.

Well done.

a.davis12

by a.davis12

just quietly, your frame is one of a kind. looks like the italians forgot to paint the colnago logos in the lugs!

hows that for character?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cmh

by cmh

highcountryboy wrote:Too bulky? These guy's don't know anything. I love this build!

Can you tell me what the top tube length is? Is it 530 mm? How much did you pay for yours? The cheapest I've been able to find it is $2,215.

I think the Super Record fits it perfectly. Same with the deda stem; who cares about all the writing. It's not like it is a sleeper. It's a shiney, flashy bike.

If I'm able to get one, I will go with traditional-bend alloy bars and regular-ol' aluminum clinchers, perhaps DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims with 240 hubs and Sapim C-Xray spokes.

But I must thank you for awakening me to this beautiful bike. I'm currently building an IF SSR but am hoping to start on a classic build like yours next year.

Well done.

Thanks much! It's a 52. I paid right around there... :beerchug:

cmh

by cmh

a.davis12 wrote:just quietly, your frame is one of a kind. looks like the italians forgot to paint the colnago logos in the lugs!

hows that for character?

That I'm not sure about...actually, I'm sure they're not painted but I'm not sure they forgot. UPS damaged the frame right in that area during shipping. :( Just paint damage. So it had to go back to Colnago for a re-spray. So I'm not sure if they were never painted or just painted over in the re-spray process. I just don't know...I can't recall the "before". :noidea: I like it without the gold anyway. :)

jhamlin38

by jhamlin38

Absolutely, positively the most beautiful, elegant, modern classic EVER ! Congrats on a sensational build.

cmh

by cmh

jhamlin38 wrote:Absolutely, positively the most beautiful, elegant, modern classic EVER ! Congrats on a sensational build.

:beerchug:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

If you put on tubulars, that bike would be bitching.

Edit, I just the pic with LWs.

cmh

by cmh

HammerTime2 wrote:If you put on tubulars, that bike would be bitching.

Edit, I just the pic with LWs.

Oh it looks great with LW's...I need to re-mount them and take a full pic. The ride is unreal with them...

fordje

by fordje

Oh my GOD, that is the sickest sh*t ever, as myself and my fellow students sometimes say. It weighs as much as my c40HP, but is buttery, snappy iron. I have never been able to deal with big tubes, save for old Kleins. Good work. :sick:
1986 Somec Air SLX, c-record
Yamaguchi pursuit weirdo
2003 Colnago C40 HP, record 10

cmh

by cmh

fordje wrote:Oh my GOD, that is the sickest sh*t ever, as myself and my fellow students sometimes say. It weighs as much as my c40HP, but is buttery, snappy iron. I have never been able to deal with big tubes, save for old Kleins. Good work. :sick:

Ha...thanks. :beerchug: I really like the skinny tubing with carbon all-around...I debated it for months while waiting on the frame.

highcountryboy

by highcountryboy

Charles,

So what is the top tube length on a 52?

Also, where did you get that post?

And how often are you riding her with tubulars? Do you not find them impractical?

Thanks,

HCB

Pantani

by Pantani

No problem with tubs on a Master. Have just been out with my new PRMO on Zipp 404s and it rides absolutely wonderfully.
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

cmh

by cmh

highcountryboy wrote:Charles,

So what is the top tube length on a 52?

Also, where did you get that post?

And how often are you riding her with tubulars? Do you not find them impractical?

Thanks,

HCB

I don't recall the TT length to be honest but it's on Colnago's web site.

I don't ride with the tubulars on the Master very often. Once in a while...I really like the fulcrum's so maybe once/week? The tubulars generally stuck on my C50. I don't find them impractical tho. :noidea: They ride great so no issue. :noidea:

highcountryboy

by highcountryboy

What about the post, where did you find it?

So what do you do about flats when you ride the tubulars? Do you use sealent? Always carry an extra tire? How does that work?

I'm considering getting tubulars but am not sure how it works when you get a flat 40 miles from town?

Also, are they glued on or taped? And do you do it yourself? If so, was it hard to learn?

Thank you

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cmh

by cmh

highcountryboy wrote:What about the post, where did you find it?

So what do you do about flats when you ride the tubulars? Do you use sealent? Always carry an extra tire? How does that work?

I'm considering getting tubulars but am not sure how it works when you get a flat 40 miles from town?

Also, are they glued on or taped? And do you do it yourself? If so, was it hard to learn?

Thank you

Oops...sorry...post was found for me so I couldn't tell you. That one took work tho.

Tubies are glued. I've done a lot of gluing in the past so I'm comfortable with the process. I'll say this...Lightweights are GREAT to mount. Very easy...relatively. Pre-stretching the tire goes a long way. I rarely carry a spare when riding on tubulars...I usually roll the dice. Some folks carry a pre-glued spare. You take the good with the bad. There's a great thread in the Road forum about gluing if you want to learn.