HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:45 pm 

AssosFables wrote:
Redddraggon wrote:
I see you live in Chester.....where do you go out riding?

I'll have to keep an eye for you.....don't see many bikes of that quality in North Wales....so you should be easy to spot...

If I'm on my own I head out to Cheshire - Macc Forest, Mow Cop etc, but Tuesdays and Sundays I ride with Deeside Olympic.

I also commute to Ewloe each day.

I was thinking of trying Deeside Olympic. I'm more likely to see you in Macc Forest etc when I'm in Uni in Manchester. I don't like riding in England when I don't have to, so when I'm at home I go Ruthin way.

http://twitter.com/JP_Griffiths

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:53 pm 

sweet bike, i bought those ec90 aeros in 08 version without the ceramic bearings and got a great deal on them too, they are awesome, love riding them on the roads around cardiff and the valleys

Post subject:
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:53 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:26 pm 

First ride today. Two words:

Insanely. Fast.

The bike is only 1.5lbs lighter than my Planet-X, but it feels like every last watt of power is being deployed to the tarmac.

This was the first time I'd ridden on tubulars, first time on Speedplays, first time with deep section wheels also the first time on carbon wheels.

The Speedplays are great - I dialed the float down as it was a bit too "ice skating" for me, but the ease of entry compared to SPD-SLs is ideal for me as I've had MTB SPDs for years.

The shifting needs a bit of adjustment but very smooth and whisper quiet. Braking is better than expected. I'd read Yellow Kings were good but I wasn't sure how they'd compare coming from DA7900 on alloy rims. The sound when braking is going to take some getting used to though I think!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:59 pm 

hi AssosFable, i plan to have a BMC pro. what is your height & inseam since the size is 53? how's the lenght of your stem? I am 180 cm height with inseam 85.2cm. is BMC Pro comfortable for long ride or is it too stiff? I am not a racer but a tourist only. I think BMC is a great bike, with simply design & special tube shape. Look forward to your detail ride report!! thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:13 pm 

I'm 5' 10" (177.8cm) and my inseam is about 85cm. There's no-one here to assist me so I can't get a super accurate measurement. I sized the frame based on the dimensions of my Planet-X which fitted fine. The virtual TT is 550 on the BMC, and 547 on the PX, although the PX looks tiny by comparison as it has very compact geometry.

I've put my numbers in the Biomechanical spreadsheet and it's pretty much spot on.

I did a 70 mile ride last Sunday and it was fine. A bit stiffer than the PX but this could be down to the wheels. I've got a set of EA50 SLs which I'll use sometimes.

I was hoping to do 100 odd tomorrow but it looks like it's going to be rain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:18 pm 

Hey assos, you didn't happen to race the BMC today did you at the John Boote Memorial race?? I got in a break with a guy with one that looked v similar to yours (although I was trying to keep myself riding in a straight line so I didn't have much time to look!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:26 pm 

hey assosfable

you don't have just a great bike, also the pics are perfect. very well done. i didn't found something to claim :thumbup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:33 pm 

This bicycle exudes class and style. I commend you sir, on a job well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:35 pm 

Beautiful job, well done! Don't change the cages...The Blackburn ones are smart, I've got them too, and they are what the Astana team specced on their promachines.
If you want to WW any of it then I'd suggest chopping down the excess seatpost since you don't seem to have much out of the frame. Another weight save would be swapping your headset for a Campagnolo record hidden headset, very light and nice to carry on the campag theme. If you want to save your frame from scratchs/overtightening then get hold of a parlee front mech clamp, they look amazing and weigh next to nothing. Hopefully see you out and about down cheshire way, look out for a pro machine in Kazakhstan colors!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 pm 

Thanks for the comments guys, when I wanted to take the photos it was raining, so rather than wait, or shoot inside the flat, I took the bike and the camera into the lift in my building and snapped the photos in the underground car park. The lighting wasn't great but a tripod solved that!

mcrdave wrote:
Hey assos, you didn't happen to race the BMC today did you at the John Boote Memorial race?? I got in a break with a guy with one that looked v similar to yours (although I was trying to keep myself riding in a straight line so I didn't have much time to look!).

Not me, sorry! I will hopefully be racing soon, looking at the TLI events at Oulton Park. Missed this weeks but there's two more on next week and the week after. Worth the entry fee just to ride on super smooth tarmac with no cars! I've driven the track quite a few times. Will seem a lot further round on a bike I think...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:53 pm 

New addition - matching kit!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:53 pm 

Gorgeous bike to say the least. One of my favorites too. You certainly used all and every single one of the rules to take a picture!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:23 am 

Master in Bike Elegance !....

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:01 pm 
Shop Owner

Nice BMC and nice write-up.

'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:01 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:25 pm 

That is a stunning build. I like the attention to detail and everything flows very well. Cant wait to build my SLR01 :thumbup:

Go to page Previous  1, 2